PDA

View Full Version : Rehman Gives Back

Scout
07-05-2008, 08:06 PM
In January, Kyle Rehman took to the ice at the St. Pete Times Forum in Tampa, Fla., with a big smile on his face.

He was officiating his first ever National Hockey League game, between the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Edmonton Oilers.

This week, he's been skating around West Edmonton Mall's Ice Palace with the same big smile on his face, officiating at the 19th annual Brick Invitational Super Novice Tournament.

It's not a demotion; he just wants to give something back.

"It's all for the kids. For me it's neat to see these little guys. This is their Stanley Cup, so it's nice to come back and be a part of it and give back to the game a little bit," Rehman said after one of the three games he officiated yesterday.

The 29-year-old grew up in Stettler, but spent some time in Edmonton and Red Deer. He now resides in Calgary. After a five-year tenure in the Western Hockey League, he made the jump to the pros.

He worked full-time in the American Hockey League last season, but was called up for six games in the NHL.

"I was ecstatic to get one game, but to get six was something special," said Rehman.

"It was an honour because I lived so long in Edmonton. My family came down for it and we had a real good time.

"I owe a lot of thanks to a lot of people. Everytime I put that jersey on I think about them."

Rehman played as high as Junior B, and the thought of getting into officiating never crossed his mind until eight years ago, when a colleague in Red Deer approached him about donning the stripes.

"I went out to the Sylvan Lake hockey camp to try it out and I was hooked right from the opening puck-drop," remembers Rehman.

He has worked two Memorial Cups, officiating the tournament final in both 2006 and 2007.

He also represented Canada as an official at the 2007 World Under-18 championships.

"When I was a player I was always really hard on the officials.

"I never thought I could be the officiating type, but this has truly been an amazing ride," said Rehman, who has worked the past three Brick tournaments.

"I always aspired to play in the National Hockey League, but now I've found another avenue to achieve it.

"Even though I have moved on, I'll never forget my roots. Anytime I can give back to the kids, I will do it."

Courtesy Edmonton Sun