PDA

View Full Version : A Solid Off-season

Teacher
07-10-2008, 01:37 PM
The Cougs management has had a pretty good offseason.
Getting Armstrong from Spokane was a great move and will give Curtis a chance to grow into the #1 role (and prove he is over his shoulder problems).

The new #1 Import Draft pick immediately solidifies the team in the middle.
Tyrell, Flaake, Riege 1st line,
Stanfield, Maylan, Poulter on the 2nd line??? looks pretty good -
3rd and 4th line composed of young, hungry players who work hard every night - C Tyrell, Connelly, Bounassisi, Kowalski, etc mixed in with some of the vets from last year and all of a sudden the goaltending and Forwards look real solid.

On the defense there has to be questions...
I read on Drinnan's blog that Magnusson is not coming back so that leaves Thiessen and Hobbs as the veteran 19yr old D, ( pretty good) and then Bidlevski ( 17yr old ) as the #3 dman ( very solid if he keeps improving )
- but after that it gets........?
Bauer ( 18 ) was hurt all year and will have a tough time making it this year.
Cumming struggled with more ice at the end of the year but showed flashes although he played very small.
The 15yr old last year, McDonald, played quite a few games, but to expect a 16yr old to step into the #4 d slot (and have a 17 and 16yr old as the second pair would be stretching it unless the coaching staff are happy with thier development). Kiziuk the number 3 draft from 07 has also shown improvement, but would a dub team go with two 16yr old defenceman??
I saw the prospect list on Caldwell's site and there are no d on the horizon running to the rescue to provide depth.
Ultimately I could see the team waiting to see if any 20yr olds get freed up at training camp ( Dudas??? ) in order to strengthen that group. Also I read that Portland is shopping the rights to Patrik Weircoch (D) the Senators 5th round pick, could the Cougars be in the running for him??

One of the great things about the moves is that it keeps the team young and developing while getting stronger immediately... this could be a really suprising group this year if some pieces fall into place on the defense. The division is looking weaker overall, and with Kelowna being the strongest, PG could surprise. Vancouver has lost lots of assests and I think Hay's tyarannical ways are wearing thin with the veterans. Chilliwack is losing a lot of solid players offensively (and Pighen has gone back to the bchl supposedly) and their defence is as suspect at PG's, Kamloops is, well, Kamloops and are in the midst of a huge overhaul

the flying moose
07-11-2008, 09:46 PM
I can't wait for the season to start. I'm really excited to see what the guys can bring to the table this year.

PGFlyfisher
07-18-2008, 08:45 AM
I too am always excited about a new season, new start. But I' m not quite as optimistic as some fans about the 08/09 season.
The team will still be fairly young and inexperienced if the likes of Connelly, Buonasissi,etc. make the team. I think we need one more Thiessen type player on the roster to look after the boys.
I would be surprised if Flaake and Ashdown report this season as well. Ashdown is commited to Nanaimo and Flaake is apparently still under contract in Germany.

Bright side is goaltending should be solid. Also, Magnusson won' t be back taking up two roster spots.