PDA

View Full Version : Habscheid Coaching Candidate

Scout
07-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Habscheid a coaching candidate

Rob Vanstone, Leader-Post
Published: Monday, July 14, 2008
REGINA -- Marc Habscheid was unequivocal when asked whether he is interested in the Regina Pats' head-coaching position.

"Absolutely . . . for sure,'' Habscheid said from his home near Lac Pelletier.

"The Pats have a long history in the Western Hockey League. The Parkers have done a real good job with the franchise since they bought it. At the same time, it has to work for both people. There hasn't been that discussion about whether it works for both sides.

The Pats have been in the hunt for a bench boss since Friday, when Curtis Hunt announced he had signed a three-year contract to become an assistant coach with the NHL's Ottawa Senators.

In four-plus seasons with the Kelowna Rockets, Habscheid coached the team to a WHL title (in 2003) and a Memorial Cup championship (in 2004, when Kelowna was the host team). He earned WHL and CHL coach-of-the-year honours after the 2002-03 season.

The 45-year-old Habscheid also has experience coaching Canada at the world junior and world senior men's hockey championships, plus he was an assistant coach with Canada at the 2006 Winter Olympics.

Habscheid spent the 2006-07 season as an associate coach to Dave Lewis with the NHL's Boston Bruins. When Lewis was fired, the Bruins also severed ties with Habscheid, even though he had three years remaining on his NHL contract. He had opportunities to coach last season, but opted to spend time with his family -- wife Erin, son Zach (16) and daughter Alex (13) -- in southwest Saskatchewan.

Now Habscheid has the itch to get back into hockey, and would love to explore the Regina option if Pats general manager Brent Parker is interested. Parker interviewed Habscheid for the Pats' coaching job in 1997 before hiring Parry Shockey. Habscheid was coaching the SJHL's Melfort Mustangs at the time.

Parker and Habscheid had lunch three weeks ago, but on an informal basis. The Pats' coaching job was not mentioned, even though there were rumours that Hunt was ticketed for Ottawa.

"I'd like to talk to Brent about it, no question, and see if there's a fit for both of us,'' said Habscheid, who added: "At this point in time, junior is probably a pretty good avenue for myself.''

Habscheid is undeterred by reports that Pats legend Dale Derkatch -- the director of hockey development at Athol Murray College of Notre Dame -- is the front-runner.

"That's neither here nor there,'' Habscheid said. "If that's who they would like to hire, that's good. They own the team. Dale's a good man. I have no idea where they're at.''

Parker said Monday that he plans to begin formal interviews as early as the weekend, but would not characterize anyone as the No. 1 choice. The Pats' GM cited Derkatch's affiliation with and passion for the organization as factors in his favour, but emphasized that other candidates -- such as Habscheid -- have their own attributes.

The list also includes current Pats assistant coach Terry Perkins and former Pats assistant coach and goaltender Chad Mercier, now the head coach/GM of the AJHL's Bonnyville Pontiacs.

"You have to look at what is the right fit for the organization, but Marc's credentials speak for themselves,'' Parker said. "He's certainly someone we want to talk to, but we're not going to hand him the job, either. There are too many others who are quality people in their own right. We'd be doing ourselves a disservice if we didn't explore those options as well.''

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
07-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks for posting the article, Scout.

Habscheid is exactly what the pats need to make the step up to become an elite organization. At first, I thought it was just a wild rumor, but this actually confirms that he is in the running and is a full possibility.

The guy definitely has experience, and has won at this level before. He is by far the most qualified candidate..........but that being said, is he the best fit? He has already 'been there and done that' when it comes to the junior level, so who is to say this doesnt become Kent Austin episode II for Regina? Does he want to coach junior hockey in Regina for more than 1 or 2 years, or make the jump to a high paying pro job, where he belongs?

I know he says he is all about his family staying in Sask, but you underestimate the enticement of a 7 figure contract that just requires to move out of Saskatchewan. I know I wouldnt blame him if an NHL team wanted him as a coach with credentials like he has.

I could be wrong, of course.

Unlike Habscheid, Derkatch has never coached at this level before. But that doesnt mean that he couldnt turn out to be the right fit for us. He has excelled at his level before as well. And he could help out with the pats smaller skilled guys like Weal and Eberle (who is already familiar with Derkatch), as Dale was once one of the pats smaller skilled guys too.

and then there are the two other guys Mercier and Perkins. Perkins is underrated around here, but I still dont think he is ready for the number 1 job, and Mercier seems content with his job right now in the AJHL(right league?).

Personally, I would choose Habscheid, because he appears to be the best choice for a team looking to become a winner. But I think the Pats staff is going to pick Derkatch. Its just a gut feeling.

Scout
07-15-2008, 10:43 PM
One thing you must remember about Marc is he is not pressed for money. He played 11 years in the pro's, collected a pretty good cheque from Team Canada not to mention the money he has got from coaching in the juniors and the three year contract he signed with Boston which he is still collecting for one more year. I know Marc very well and we are both in Swift Current. Marc had offers last year in junior and turned them down. He mentioned to me once that he can't remember the last time he was home with his family for Christmas, birthdays, etc. He took a year off to get back in his kids lives. His son and daughter are entering their teen years and he wants to be a part of that. Moving to Regina is close enough to home and his family as in mom and dad and brothers. It would also have him close to his son Zach who was drafted last year by the Broncos. Zach, this past winter played on the midget AAA team in Swift Current and Marc played a very active role with the team helping with practice. Would he move on in a year or two? May very well do it but he right now wants to settle down close to his family. Marc has a keen interest in having a part ownership or full ownership of a junior team. He has the connections through his playing days to have the financial backing to do it. Their are rumors the Parker family are thinking of selling down the road and this may be Marc's chance to purchase a team down the road. The only problem i can see is when Mac coaches he wants full control of the team. I don't think he is a yes man and that could be a problem with this deal as Brent seems to be a hands on type of guy.

Scout

patsdude114
07-17-2008, 10:40 PM
I have heard from some inside people (not mentioning any names) that the Parker's have a verbal agreement with Sillinger & Herward once there playing days are done. Two local Regina guys owning the Regina franchise would be nice. Both who have strong hockey back grounds both in the NHL and over sea's.

Habscheid may very well be looking at some point to own a franchise who knows maybe can get into the mix with Sillinger & Heward or always other teams out there.

As for the coaching position.... Parker likes his big name guys.... Preston, Mollenken, Hunt & Shockey to name a few during Parker's tendure as GM. I am thinking Habscheid has a edge being a big name coach, would prob come at a higher dollar figure then Hunt did also. Yes Habscheid may be still getting NHL money from Boston but dont think he will give a discount just due to that. He is worth the money why give a discount when you can stay at home with the family and be there for his son's development and be there for bday's, and such again.....

I really hope Perkin's doesnt get the job though..... a buddy of mine is very good friends with a billet, and majority of the players on the team dont like Perkins.. We all know how kids rebell once they dont like a guy... I really dont think the team would play for a guy like Perkins being the Head Coach. I wouldnt mind seeing Mercier back behind the Pats bench but i think he is still a year away from coming back to the WHL.

nivek_wahs
07-18-2008, 10:45 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=bcb4b643-3288-4309-9d14-d45961426599

Habscheid should be Pats' new coach
Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, July 18, 2008

Robservations ...

- Dale Derkatch is reportedly the front-runner in the Regina Pats' head-coaching derby. Derkatch -- the greatest Pats player of all time -- is a highly reputable candidate. Even so, Pats general manager Brent Parker must also give serious consideration to Marc Habscheid. Parker should be working from a short list of two. Derkatch rejoining the Pats would be comparable, in a sense, to Kent Austin returning to coach the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Habscheid's coaching credentials are eye-popping and he, like Derkatch, is a first-class person.

- So who should be chosen? Although Derkatch has closer ties to the Pats, there is not a better-qualified candidate for any major-junior coaching job than Habscheid. In fact, he really belongs in the NHL -- where he spent the 2006-07 season as an associate coach with the Boston Bruins. In Parker's situation, I would open the vault for Habscheid and, when he inevitably (and deservedly) returns to the NHL in a year or three, hope that Derkatch is still available and interested in coaching the Pats. That is the only way Parker can hope to hire both ideal head-coaching candidates.

- This is highly irregular. In most of Parker's head-coaching searches, one candidate has clearly lapped the field (see: Rich Preston, Lorne Molleken, Bob Lowes, Curtis Hunt). This time, the leading contenders can be classified as 1 and 1A.

Fight Guy
07-18-2008, 04:03 PM
http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/2008/07/mercier-withdraws.html

Mercier Withdraws

Spoke with Bonnyville Pontiacs coach and GM Chad Mercier this afternoon. He has withdrawn his name from the competition to become the Regina Pats' next head coach. Merc cites "timing" as the number-one reason.

RP

nivek_wahs
07-18-2008, 09:19 PM
http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/

I promised I would stay out of the Regina Pats' hunt for a new head coach, but that doesn't count if the G.M. calls me first, which is what happened today.

As of lunchtime, he had yet to talk with candidate Marc Habscheid but had had a couple of conversations with both Dale Derkatch and Chad Mercier. As you know, Mercier pulled out of the running on Thursday. He's also discussed the position with current assistant coach Terry Perkins.

What I have an issue with are a couple of comments circulating on WHL blogs the past week or so. Someone wrote the Pats might be an unstable situation for Habscheid. I'd like to know why.

You know with all the whispers about the Pats being sold, there has been NO evidence to support that. And quite frankly after discussing things with Brent Parker, I get the feeling the Parkers will remain the owners of the Pats for the next four to five years minimum.