PDA

View Full Version : Derkatch an impressive Candidate

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
07-23-2008, 12:57 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/features/reginapats/story.html?id=8b652a97-67fa-4a2c-baab-32ff868a946c

Derkatch an impressive candidate

REGINA -- Two pre-eminent candidates. One job opening.

That is the dilemma facing Regina Pats general manager Brent Parker as he attempts to select a head coach, likely by the end of this week.

Parker expects to have a sleepless night or two -- as is inevitable when a list of applicants is headed by Dale Derkatch and Marc Habscheid.

Habscheid possesses a resume that includes a Memorial Cup title (with the 2004 Kelowna Rockets), CHL coach-of-the-year laurels (in 2003), experience in the NHL (as an associate coach with the 2006-07 Boston Bruins) and service with Canada's national junior program.

And then there is the other prime candidate, who is Dale Derkatch.

The name, by itself, is self-explanatory. That said, Derkatch is not being seriously considered strictly on the basis of reputation. His own curriculum vitae is impressive in its own right.

Derkatch, who starred for the WHL's Pats from 1981 to 1985, is the director of hockey development at one of the sport's renowned factories -- Athol Murray College of Notre Dame in Wilcox. He also coached the Notre Dame Hounds, for whom he once played, to the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League championship this past season.

The 43-year-old Derkatch also has an outstanding way of dealing with people -- as was exemplified Tuesday.

The night before, I had sent Derkatch an e-mail, asking if he would be available for an interview on Tuesday. He responded promptly and cordially, suggesting that we converse at 1:30 p.m. As arranged, he called precisely at 1:30.

"Generally, for me, it's all about just doing the right thing -- being on time, working hard every day and giving your best effort,'' Derkatch said during an afternoon that was otherwise dedicated to matters pertaining to Notre Dame.

"All of those little things mean a lot to me -- just like I phoned you at 1:30. In the end, the guy at the top has to not tell people what to do. He models what he wants people to do. That's how I am. If I'm going to tell someone to be somewhere at a certain time, I would expect the same of myself.''

Here is another testament to Derkatch's integrity: He acknowledged the message in the first place.

Last week, it was written in this space that Parker should hire Habscheid, considering his qualifications. Derkatch could have taken issue with the opinion, but instead demonstrated the class and interpersonal skills that make him such a strong candidate despite a lack of WHL coaching experience.

"I read it,'' Derkatch said. "He does have the credentials. The safe pick would be to take him, and that is for sure, without a doubt.''

There is also an element of safety in choosing Derkatch, even though he has yet to coach at a level higher than midget. His coaching and administrative skills have enhanced the hockey program at Notre Dame, where he once coached Jordan Eberle. The Pats' sniper cannot say enough complimentary things about Derkatch, whose extraordinary people skills serve him well in communicating with players.

"Brent mentioned to me, 'Dale, you're so positive. The one problem people have mentioned is you might not be hard enough on people,' '' Derkatch said. "I said, 'Brent, it is totally the opposite. I've had my dad tell me the last couple of years that I've got to take it easy on these guys.' I am hard on them, but I'm fair. That doesn't mean you're getting equal ice time. You get what you deserve based upon what you bring to team. I don't play favourites.''

Derkatch is reportedly the favourite to succeed Curtis Hunt -- now an assistant coach with the NHL's Ottawa Senators -- behind the Pats' bench. Parker and Derkatch have spoken twice in the past week. Habscheid, who lives near Lac Pelletier (in southwestern Saskatchewan), drove to Regina for an interview on Monday.

"The more and more I talk to Brent, the better feel I have,'' Derkatch said. "It's like anything. You've got to get to know someone that you're probably going to be working with fairly closely.

"It would be an honour. But, having said that, if it doesn't work out, I will still be the same person and do the same things for the organization -- alumni stuff, whatever. That's just part of life. It's just experience.''I like what Derkatch has to offer, but Im not so sure he is ready for the head job. I think it would be foolish to throw him into this position when he might not be ready for it yet. Barring any huge changes, Habscheid should be the new head coach, which is exciting to say the least.

.....and I'm just throwing this out there, but I think Dale would be a great asst. coach for Habscheid(assuming Marc gets the job). He can help out with the smaller guys(Eberle, along with Weal, and Braaten...if he signs), since Derkatch obviously has a history of success as a small player. And I know Perkins is already the assistant, but I really like what Derkatch brings to the table.

He seems to be very positive, and seems like a smart guy. Most importantly,he seems like the type of guy this organization needs. However, as mentioned he doesnt have that much experience yet, which is why he would be more suited as an assistant...at least for the time being. He could succeed Habscheid somewhere down the road if Marc moves on to the pros...but I am thinking way too far ahead. Lets wait to see how this all turns out, especially since Parker has supposedly also interviewed an unidentifed candidate.

Even with all this said, and the fact that it is very exciting to possibly bring in a proven winner, I can still wait until next season starts. I love summer too much.