PDA

View Full Version : Pats Announcement - Derkatch New Coach

nivek_wahs
07-24-2008, 12:05 PM
http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/2008/07/pats-announcement.html

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pats Announcement
The Regina Pats will announce their new head coach at a news conference today at 3:00pm at the Brandt Centre.
RP

My guess: Mr. Dale Derkatch

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
07-24-2008, 12:53 PM
All signs point to Derkatch(at least from what I hear in the media), but Im still hoping for Habscheid. Marc is the best guy for the job, whatever extra request he wants, give it to him. He would turn the pats into a winner.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
07-24-2008, 01:14 PM
The rumors are that Dirk Graham(former pat, and head coach/player in the NHL) has been interviewed for the job as well. I dobut he gets serious consideration since parker made up his mind a long time ago.

Seems like its either Derkatch, or Habscheid, with an outside shot of Graham because we dont really know what parker thinks of him quite yet.

nivek_wahs
07-24-2008, 01:56 PM
It's Derkatch.....

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/story.html?id=718abb21-08a7-4f0f-a3d6-8eb36d2bc687

nivek_wahs
07-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Here's the article....

Derkatch to be named new Pats head coach
Media conference scheduled for 3 p.m. at the Brandt Centre

Rob Vanstone, Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, July 24, 2008

REGINA -- The Regina Pats are to announce this afternoon that Dale Derkatch will be their new head coach.

A media conference is scheduled for 3 p.m., at the Brandt Centre.

The 43-year-old Derkatch has been the director of hockey development at Athol Murray College of Notre Dame for five years. He coached the Notre Dame Hounds to the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League title this past season.

Derkatch is one of the elite players in Pats history. He had 491 points, including 222 goals, in 204 regular-season games with the Pats between 1981 and 1985. The Pats retired Derkatch's uniform number (16) in 1998.

The Pats have been looking for a head coach since July 11, when Curtis Hunt announced he was leaving to become an assistant to Ottawa Senators bench boss Craig Hartsburg. Hunt was the Pats' head coach for four seasons.

Parker's short list also consisted of Marc Habscheid and Terry Perkins. Habscheid coached with the Melfort Mustangs, Kamloops Blazers, Kelowna Rockets and the national junior team before spending the 2006-07 NHL season as an associate coach with the Boston Bruins.

rvanstone@leaderpost.canwest.com

Check back later for updates ...

© Leader-Post 2008

nivek_wahs
07-24-2008, 02:07 PM
From something published in 2007 (Sept. 21).... http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/features/patshockey/story.html?id=55ac955b-874b-4f3f-b6a4-1585886b5eb9&k=46734&p=3

"Coaching is in Dale's future for sure," said Mahoney. "His knowledge of the game and his ability to communicate . . . there's something about him. He's got this energy where people are kind of attracted to him and the provides a lot as a coach. He'd be a terrific coach. Well, he is right now."

And Derkatch wouldat rule out the chance of the cycle continuing around the same course even further and taking him back to the Pats or another WHL team.

"I'm not looking for things, but as time goes, things may change," said Derkatch. "It's the hockey world and we know hockey changes very quickly. I'm not actively pursuing anything, but I'm always listening because who knows how long I'll be here or how long anyone will be anywhere?"

Ross Mahoney is the director of amateur scouting for the Capitals.

nivek_wahs
07-24-2008, 03:24 PM
http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/9c644d4d-79fd-4ef5-8bd3-c4933500492a/pats072408.jpg
Photo: LeaderPost.com

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/story.html?id=718abb21-08a7-4f0f-a3d6-8eb36d2bc687

Derkatch named Pats' new head coach
Dale Derkatch replaces former head coach Curtis Hunt

REGINA -- Dale Derkatch is the new head coach of the WHL's Regina Pats.

The announcement was made this afternoon at the Brandt Centre. The Pats had been looking for a head coach since July 11, when Curtis Hunt announced he was leaving to become an assistant to Ottawa Senators bench boss Craig Hartsburg. Hunt was the Pats' head coach for four seasons.

Thursday's news was welcomed by Pats star Jordan Eberle, who was coached by Derkatch as a bantam with the Notre Dame Hounds.

"With the intensity that he brings to the game, for sure you feed off it,'' Eberle said. "The player that he was when he played for the Pats and the size that he is is amazing. I'm looking forward to having him for another season.''

The 43-year-old Derkatch has been the director of hockey development at Athol Murray College of Notre Dame for five years. He coached the Notre Dame Hounds to the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League title this past season.

Derkatch is one of the elite players in Pats history. He had 491 points, including 222 goals, in 204 regular-season games with the Pats between 1981 and 1985. The Pats retired Derkatch's uniform number (16) in 1998.

"I never had the privilege to watch him play, but I heard that he was a tenacious little guy,'' Eberle said. "The intensity he had on the ice was amazing. He definitely brings that to the coaching aspect. I think he's probably more intense on the bench than he was on the ice. Even in the practice, he's on you if you make a mistake. He has lots of knowledge of the game. He has played the game at a high level and I'm sure he has a lot to teach us.''

Parker's short list also consisted of Marc Habscheid and Terry Perkins. Habscheid coached with the Melfort Mustangs, Kamloops Blazers, Kelowna Rockets and the national junior team before spending the 2006-07 NHL season as an associate coach with the Boston Bruins.

Check back later for updates ...

nivek_wahs
07-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Pats' Presser.... http://www.reginapats.com/News/359/

Dale Derkatch Named Pats New Bench Boss
2008-07-24

THE “RAT” COMES HOME

Regina, Saskatchewan— Regina Pats President Russ Parker along with Pats General Manager Brent Parker announced today that former Regina Pat Sniper Dale Derkatch has inked a three (3) year deal to become the new Head Coach of the Regina Pats. Terms of the contract were not released.

The 43 year old Derkatch recently completed his fourth year as Director of Hockey Operations at Athol Murray College of Notre Dame where he was also the Head Coach of the 2007/08 Saskatchewan Midget AAA Champion Hounds. In 2006/07 Dale was named the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Coach of the Year and led the Hounds to a Championship at the prestigious Mac’s Midget Championship in that same year.

Regarded by many as the greatest Pats player of all time Dale had his number 16 retired on March 13, 1999. Dale is the Pats career leader in numerous categories: Goals (222), Assists (269) and Points (491). Dale also holds Western Hockey League records for career playoff points (103), career playoff assists (73), most points in one playoff game (7) as well as the most points in one playoff year when he had a remarkable fifty three (53) points in the 1984 playoffs.

Derkatch was named the WHL Rookie of the year in 1982 and captured the WHL Scoring crown a year later during the 1983 season. A 7th round selection of the Edmonton Oilers Dale went on to play professionally in Europe for fourteen (14) seasons making stops in Finland Germany, Italy and Switzerland. After finishing his playing career Dale returned to Regina and joined the Washington Capitals where he worked as an amateur scout for six (6) years.

Pats General Manager Brent Parker – “We are thrilled to have Dale returning to his roots to become our Head Coach. You only have to spend a few minutes with Dale to understand the passion that he has for this franchise and that enthusiasm and excitement will be contagious for everyone around him. I have watched Dale grow as coach over his time in Notre Dame and I have always appreciated how his teams play; discipline, hard work and speed were Dales trademark’s as a player and I believe those are the same characteristic we will see from our team in the years ahead.”

Pats Head Coach Dale Derkatch – “It’s a great honor to be chosen by the Parker family to lead this great organization. I have very deep feelings for the organization and look forward to the challenges that lie ahead.”

Regina Pats forward and leading scorer Jordan Eberle played for Dale at Notre Dame and had these comments - “I’m very excited for the opportunity to work with Dale again. It’s going to be tough losing Curtis, but I believe that Dale is the right man for the job. When Curtis left I was hoping that Dale would get the opportunity to join the organization and I am really looking forward to the upcoming season.”

Joining Dale in his move to Regina are his wife Maria, and their three children Madison (12), Dale Jr.(4) and Dayce (1).

-30-

Scout
07-24-2008, 04:44 PM
I can't agree with the decision but i can't really say alot as the Broncos also passed by Marc a few years back. Hab's is the most qualified person right now to coach in the WHL and is way more qualified than any of the other candidates. Best of luck to Dale and i'm sure Marc will get other calls and i know he is in no rush to go back to work.

Scout

patsdude114
07-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Im very glad the job was given to Dale. He is the perfect fit for how the game is changing. Speed and skill is what this league needs to go with, look at what Swift Current did to us in the playoffs with there speed and skill. We have alot of young skilled players coming up this year, Eberle and Weal should benefit from Derkatch being the Head Coach. Derkatch wants to score goals, just like he did when he played junior, Habshied is more defensive not what the league needs anyways.

Congrats to Derkatch i know im glad he got the job

Scout
07-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Keen's Korner

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Habscheid Gives the Latest

He stopped by our group of three radio stations today to talk about the 3rd annual Nancy Harvey / Marc Habsheid Battle of the Sports Charity golf tournament, but talk shifted afterwards to the vacant head coaching position with the Regina Pats.

Here's the transcript:

JK: There's been a lot of talk about the Regina Pats job, where are things at?

Marc: I went and talked to Brent, sat in his office for a couple hours Monday morning and had a good chat. Where it is at I'm not sure. I think it was a fact finding discussion a little bit for both. He's trying to do what's best for his team and I'm trying to do what's best for mine, meaning my family.

There's a lot of things involved. I've always talked about a proper fit. Maybe this is, maybe it's not, that's yet to be determine. There's nothing wrong going to talk and trying to figure out exactly where he's at and where his team's at he's figuring out where I'm at.

JK: You've been a coach in this league. There's a lot of talk that you want to do more. Head Coach, General Manager maybe an ownership package....

Marc: I don't know. I'm a coach first and foremost and I understand that. The biggest thing for me is that my family has moved around a lot. Before you know it they're gone. I have son 16 and a daughter 13... my son has moved 10 times in 15 years. That's tough on a family.

People have said you have to get back in the game... and I do, I want to get back in. I've talked to a lot of teams the last two years and if it's the right fit I'll go but it hasn't been the right fit yet personally and professionally. I have no intentions of taking a job just to take a job.

In terms of ownership, or G.M. or coach... there's been rumours I want spend one year in major junior and go back to the NHL. That's not necessarily the case. I enjoy coaching, I probably enjoy coaching junior kids more than professional players to be quite honest. Maybe junior is where I need to be right now. I've had some success and most of all I enjoy working with the kids and helping them as people more than hockey players. You miss that. I think major junior is a good place. We will see where the winding road takes us.

JK: There's a time frame on the Regina job by the end of the week, what do you know about that?

Marc: I don't know. In this business time tables are tough. Brent is going to hire his coach whenever he wants, it's his timetable. I've talked to him and like I said we'll see where it goes. If it doesn't go where both of us think it needs to go that's fine. I have a hay crop to cut and get bailed here so life goes on.

JK: This is all a public matter. If I apply for a job or anybody applies it's not public knowledge but this coaching thing is sure strange. Everything is fair game. Does that bother you?

Marc: It's the nature of the business. Coaching candidates and things get out along with speculation and it's part of the business. You have to understand if you want to be involved it's a public affair. When you're doing things like farming there's not much interest from the outside but as soon as your in a public industry like entertainment or sports it's fair game. People want to know and are interested in it... you just have to deal with it.

-------------

Posted by Jon Keen

www.jonkeen.blogspot.com

Scout

Scout
07-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Don't agree with that but we both have opinions. The reason he was a defensive coach in Kelowna is because he had no offence to work with yet he took this team who's top scorer scored 49 points and still won the Memorial Cup. He had his teams play offence in both Kamloops and Team Canada. He gets the most out of his players and the players want to play for him. In junior and pro Marc was an offensive player. He styles his team with the type of players he inherits. If there is no offensive players he has a system for a defensive team. If he has alot of offense as it looks the Pats will have this year then he will style the team to play offense. Thats the sign of a great coach and a successful coach.

Scout

witness
07-24-2008, 05:22 PM
The truth be told, I think this would only be a stop over for Habshied. I still think he is looking for a NHL job or something in the Dub where he is the Coach and GM. He wants to run the show and with this background should. I think that Marc would have struggles with Parker and I just don't think that it would be a good match.

I am pumped about Derkatch. I am tried of watching the stinking trap. Go up by a goal and let the other team come at you for 20 minutes while you sit in a defensive game plan. To have a guy that understands offense and will give the team some licence, would be fun to watch. As a fan, I would rather watch a 6 - 4 win than a 2-1 win.

My only question is: Will Parker acually let him coach and make personel decisions??

nivek_wahs
07-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Let Derkatch coach at least one game before we criticize him.

So similar to the Riders when they hired and inexperienced coach that was a star player with the team.... Kent Austin.... Not comparing Austin to Derkatch (only as an example)..... but look what he did.

Give him a chance.

Welcome home Dale!

nivek_wahs
07-25-2008, 07:05 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/features/reginapats/story.html?id=031a14eb-e3af-4933-b4b3-daaa92739876

Habscheid OK with Pats' hire

REGINA -- In the words of Marc Habscheid, it was "Dale's day.''

On Thursday, Habscheid was quick to congratulate Dale Derkatch on being appointed head coach of the WHL's Regina Pats. Derkatch, a legendary Pats player, was on the short list with Habscheid and Terry Perkins.

"I'm happy for Dale,'' Habscheid said. "He's a good guy. He's a good hockey man. It's an exciting time.

"I can remember my first time (as a WHL head coach) when I went to Kamloops. You're excited because you haven't been in the league and you're excited about the challenges ahead, so good for him.''

Habscheid was also a candidate for the Pats' head-coaching job in 1997, when Parry Shockey was chosen. At the time, Habscheid was the head coach of the SJHL's Melfort Mustangs.

In the years to follow, Habscheid made his mark as head coach of the Kamloops Blazers and Kelowna Rockets. He has also coached with the national junior team and the NHL's Boston Bruins.

The 45-year-old Habscheid spent the 2006-07 NHL season as an associate coach, working with Dave Lewis. The Bruins changed their coaching staff after the 2006-07 campaign.

Habscheid has two seasons remaining on his contract with the Bruins, but is looking forward to re-establishing active ties with the game, providing that it is compatible with his family's interests. He was interviewed by Pats general manager Brent Parker on Monday.

"We had a good conversation,'' said Habscheid, who lives near Lac Pelletier in southwestern Saskatchewan. "He was trying to sort out things from his side. I was doing the same thing, trying to sort out things from my side. We left it at that and we didn't go down the road any further. Who knows if it would have went down the road any further?

"Like I said before, it had to work for both sides and I'm not sure it was going to work for both sides. We never went down the path any further, so that's the way it goes.''

So what is next for Habscheid?

"I'll just keep looking for the right fit, I guess,'' he said. "It'll come eventually. In the meantime, my priority right now is my family.

"I'll get back in the game. It's got to be at the right place at the right time, and so far I haven't found that.''

Derkatch's hiring creates some uncertainty regarding Perkins, who spent the past three seasons as an assistant to Pats head coach Curtis Hunt. Regina's head-coaching position was vacated July 11 when Hunt was named an assistant coach with the NHL's Ottawa Senators.

"Terry's disappointed,'' Pats general manager Brent Parker said. "I understand that completely and expect that he would be disappointed. I wouldn't want it any other way.''

Perkins, who could not be reached for comment Thursday, is expected to chat with Derkatch and Parker in the near future.

"At the right time, we'll sit down and determine going forward if Terry's the right guy for us,'' Parker said. "If not, then we'll put somebody else in place, but Terry has a lot of strong attributes and has done a lot of good things for the organization. That's why I believe that, respectfully, it's important that Dale speak with him.''

© Leader-Post 2008

nivek_wahs
07-25-2008, 07:09 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=28c44aff-5299-42ff-b67c-a64b83f73b6c

Eagerness, experience collide for the Pats

Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, July 25, 2008

Even at 5-foot-6, Dale Derkatch towered over everyone else on the Regina Pats' short list.

From the outset, Derkatch was the front-runner to succeed Curtis Hunt as the WHL team's head coach. Leader-Post hockey writer Greg Harder nailed the story two weeks ago, although the appointment was not made official until Thursday. The news was hardly a surprise -- except to Derkatch, who expected Marc Habscheid to get the job.

"I actually was very, in a way, shocked that I got the call, and that Marc was not getting the call,'' Derkatch, a former Pats star, said during Thursday's media conference at the Brandt Centre. "He has all the credentials. He's done it.''

There is not a better major-junior hockey coach than Habscheid, a former CHL coach-of-the-year who guided the Kelowna Rockets to the 2004 Memorial Cup title. Habscheid's glittering resume also includes world junior and NHL credentials.

Habscheid was interested in the Pats' job. He made a five-hour return trip from his southwestern Saskatchewan home to be interviewed for the Pats' coaching job on Monday. And he was willing to commit to a long-term deal with the Pats, citing proximity to family.

So, with all due respect to the eminently credible Derkatch, why wasn't Habscheid the first choice?

"You know, it's interesting,'' Pats general manager Brent Parker said. "When I talked to Marc (on Thursday), I said, 'I don't know why.' To use what he had said, it had to be the right fit for both sides.

"We just felt Dale was the right fit. Marc even indicated that he wasn't sure it was the right fit for him here right now, anyways. There were a lot of reasons to hire Marc. Marc and I have a very good relationship and I have nothing but the utmost respect for him and the job he has done, but this is the right fit. After watching (Derkatch) today, I feel even better about the decision I made.''

Habscheid was gracious after discovering he would not get the job. He quickly placed a congratulatory phone call to another class act, Derkatch.

"I know Marc well,'' Derkatch said. "He's a friend of mine, and he called me (Thursday) morning. I talked to him about it. I even said, 'Marc, I didn't even think I was going to get the call.' You know what he said? 'You deserve it.' ''

Earlier this week, Derkatch labelled Habscheid as the "safe'' choice, and that is evidenced by the track record. Derkatch is the sentimental choice -- "Pats royalty,'' in the words of Parker and CKRM play-by-play man Rod Pedersen.

Derkatch is bereft of WHL coaching experience but, as Parker emphasized, there was a time when Habscheid was a novice at the major-junior level.

In this market, experience is not necessarily a prerequisite.

Kent Austin had never been a CFL head coach before being hired by Roughriders general manager Eric Tillman in December of 2006.

Within a year, Austin had guided the Green and White to a Grey Cup championship. Austin's successor, undefeated Ken Miller, is also a first-time head coach in the pros.

"Well, we're not switching to green uniforms, but you'd be foolish not to look at every situation like that,'' Parker said.

"Obviously, when Kent came back, with the historical ties to the franchise and what it meant to him, you could hear the passion in his voice and how much it meant to come back and be a part of that franchise. Obviously, they had a magical year.

"I think it means the same to Dale to come back and be part of this franchise. We hope we have similar results.''

It is a nice story, even at this early juncture. Derkatch's good name is already on display in the upper extremities of the Brandt Centre. The Pats retired his jersey number (16) in 1999.

Almost 27 years after Derkatch first donned the Pats jersey, he is a rookie once again. At 43, the impressive Derkatch carried himself with the enthusiasm of a teenager on Thursday.

"It's pretty amazing,'' he said Thursday. "It's like a dream. It's like it's not happening, but it is.''

But the question remains: Can passion and enthusiasm compensate for a lack of head-coaching experience at the major-junor level?

"That's a good question,'' Derkatch said. "I guess we're going to find out."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

nivek_wahs
07-25-2008, 07:12 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=ccab13b9-a8cb-46ff-b5e7-8940dc7dbd2b

'A natural to come back'

Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, July 25, 2008

Dale Derkatch routinely lit the lamp for the Regina Pats. He added another goal to the list on Thursday.

"There has been a lot of talk about Dale Derkatch, the player,'' he said after being named the WHL team's head coach. "Let's hope Dale Derkatch can be talked about in somewhat the same way as a coach. That's my goal.''

Derkatch, who is the Pats' all-time leader in goals (222) and points (491), has signed a three-year contract. He succeeds Curtis Hunt, who announced July 11 that he was leaving to become an assistant to Ottawa Senators head coach Craig Hartsburg.

Hunt was the Pats' head coach for four years -- concurrent with Derkatch's tenure as the director of hockey development at Athol Murray College of Notre Dame in Wilcox. Last season, Derkatch coached the Notre Dame Hounds to the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League championship. He had been named the midget league's coach-of-the-year the previous season.

As the Pats' head coach, Derkatch hopes to employ a formula similar to the one that worked so well in Wilcox.

"I want to be the highest-scoring team, I want to be the lowest goals-against, and we want to be third or fourth in the league in penalty minutes,'' Derkatch, 43, said during a media conference at the Brandt Centre.

"Now, people are thinking I'm crazy, saying, 'Why do you want to be third or fourth in the league (in penalty minutes)?' Because I want guys to play hard and I don't want them to be scared when they play hard that if they take a penalty, I'm going to be upset with them. I'm not upset with them. They're going to take penalties for playing hard.''

Derkatch, who was nicknamed The Rat as a player, made his WHL debut with the 1981-82 Pats, who were coached by Bill LaForge. That season, LaForge's Pats produced a league-high 465 goals -- 62 of which were scored by the 5-foot-6 Derkatch -- and were the league's runaway leader in penalty minutes. That approach helped the '81-82 edition advance to the league final against the Portland Winter Hawks, who ultimately prevailed. Derkatch had 84 and 72 goals in his other two full seasons with the Pats.

Do Derkatch's stated objectives make him a LaForge disciple?

"I think I have received influences,'' Derkatch said. "I have been such a fortunate person that through my whole career, I've had so many different coaches. Bill LaForge. Terry O'Malley. Barry MacKenzie. Dave King. Bob Murdoch. There were coaches over in Europe. I've taken pieces from them -- the pieces I like -- and I know what I liked as a player and what I wanted each day when I came to the rink.

"I was excited to come to the rink. That's what I want from the players. I want them to be excited. I loved coming to the rink and not knowing what was going to happen. You mentioned Bill LaForge. There was a lot of that with him. Now, there were some other parts that might have gone too far -- we know that -- but that part was a great part. You never knew each day when you got to the rink if there was going to be a new player in the dressing room. We'd have three goalies show up because our goalies weren't doing well. It was fantastic. It made you just pumped to get to the rink each day.''

Pats star Jordan Eberle was pumped over Thursday's announcement. As a 14-year-old, he played for a Derkatch-coached bantam team at Notre Dame.

"With the intensity that he brings to the game, for sure you feed off it,'' Eberle said.

"I'm looking forward to having him for another season.''

The Pats' short list also included Marc Habscheid and Terry Perkins. Habscheid coached with the Melfort Mustangs, Kamloops Blazers, Kelowna Rockets and the national junior team before spending the 2006-07 NHL season as an associate coach with the Boston Bruins. Perkins has been the Pats' assistant coach for three seasons.

"We were really comfortable with hiring any of them,'' Pats general manager Brent Parker said. "They all brought a very unique and different set of attributes to the table.

"When it all came down and when it all shook out and we settled on Dale, we really felt that for us, he was the right fit. Certainly, his affiliation to the franchise and his enthusiasm and the passion he has for that crest really played a huge part.''

Along with starring for the Pats, Derkatch played 14 years in Europe, making stops in Finland, Germany, Italy and Switzerland. After retiring as a player, Derkatch returned to Regina and began a six-year stint as a scout with the NHL's Washington Capitals. The Pats retired his uniform number (16) in 1999.

"He's very excited and obviously very wired,'' Pats owner Russ Parker said after the energetic Derkatch addressed the media. "He's almost overwhelmed. I think we made a great hire. I just think he's a natural to come back.''

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

nivek_wahs
07-25-2008, 07:18 AM
A comment on Rod's Blog (rodpedersen.com) from a former voice of the Pats Kevin Gallant....

This is an absolute great day for the Regina Pat organization. In fact I will go on record as saying that the Passion to be a Pat, and to be a Pat fan will reach all-time high's with Dale's leadership.

Why do I know this? I rode a bus and watched him play every game of his Junior Hockey career and what he will bring to the table is what we as supporters want, which is an unmatched enthusiam for wanting others to be the best they can be.

He did it as a player, helping others around him elevate their game, and he will do it as a coach, and in some ways has already proven that while at Notre Dame.

Dale is a highly intelligent, competetive, passionate and respectful person whose above mentioned strengths will impact the people he associates with or leads.

Once again, congratulations to the Derkatch family, the Pat organization and to Pat fans. Pure Pat Passion returns to Regina.

Kevin Gallant
Former Voice of the Regina Pats

July 24, 2008

patsfan
08-07-2008, 10:29 AM
clrkthj at least the pats have a coach i heard thta IF THEY DIDNT FIND 1 THYE WOULD GET 1 OF THE PLAYERS TO BE THE COACH EACH GAME clrkthj

lasiter
08-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Whats the latest on the assistant coaches position. it seems very quiet

nivek_wahs
08-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Whats the latest on the assistant coaches position. it seems very quietNo news as far as I have read but http://www.reginapats.com/TEAM/Hockey_Operations/ has Terry Perkins still as Assistant Coach.

Gomez
08-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Will Derkatch also bring with him a pipeline to the Hounds? The stereotype is ND = NCAA. Will intended college players at ND now give the Pats &/or the WHL a closer look? Hmmm? What about young Schwartz?

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Will Derkatch also bring with him a pipeline to the Hounds? The stereotype is ND = NCAA. Will intended college players at ND now give the Pats &/or the WHL a closer look? Hmmm? What about young Schwartz?

Schwartz is already committed to college, and even if he chose to go the WHL route, Tri City holds his rights. The odds of him ending up in a pats uniform are astronimically low, but its not a big deal because we have Weal who is comparable in skill.

Personally, I doubt having derkatch as our coach will influence many ND kids to change their minds about college. Perhaps you could say that having Dale gives up better odds, but I wouldnt hold my breath on getting anything, nevermind 1 or 2 players who would only reconsider if they knew Derkatch as well as someone like Eberle does. Either that or whats his name (derks successor as ND guy) might recommend it to a couple guys in the future.

I could be wrong of course.