PDA

View Full Version : Dale Derkatch - Regina Pats New Coach

scoreboard
07-24-2008, 05:20 PM
THE “RAT” COMES HOME - IT IS OFFICIAL -

Regina, Saskatchewan— Regina Pats President Russ Parker along with Pats General Manager Brent Parker announced today that former Regina Pat Sniper Dale Derkatch has inked a three (3) year deal to become the new Head Coach of the Regina Pats. Terms of the contract were not released.

The 43 year old Derkatch recently completed his fourth year as Director of Hockey Operations at Athol Murray College of Notre Dame where he was also the Head Coach of the 2007/08 Saskatchewan Midget AAA Champion Hounds. In 2006/07 Dale was named the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Coach of the Year and led the Hounds to a Championship at the prestigious Mac’s Midget Championship in that same year.

Regarded by many as the greatest Pats player of all time Dale had his number 16 retired on March 13, 1999. Dale is the Pats career leader in numerous categories: Goals (222), Assists (269) and Points (491). Dale also holds Western Hockey League records for career playoff points (103), career playoff assists (73), most points in one playoff game (7) as well as the most points in one playoff year when he had a remarkable fifty three (53) points in the 1984 playoffs.

Derkatch was named the WHL Rookie of the year in 1982 and captured the WHL Scoring crown a year later during the 1983 season. A 7th round selection of the Edmonton Oilers Dale went on to play professionally in Europe for fourteen (14) seasons making stops in Finland Germany, Italy and Switzerland. After finishing his playing career Dale returned to Regina and joined the Washington Capitals where he worked as an amateur scout for six (6) years.

Pats General Manager Brent Parker – “We are thrilled to have Dale returning to his roots to become our Head Coach. You only have to spend a few minutes with Dale to understand the passion that he has for this franchise and that enthusiasm and excitement will be contagious for everyone around him. I have watched Dale grow as coach over his time in Notre Dame and I have always appreciated how his teams play; discipline, hard work and speed were Dales trademark’s as a player and I believe those are the same characteristic we will see from our team in the years ahead.”

Pats Head Coach Dale Derkatch – “It’s a great honor to be chosen by the Parker family to lead this great organization. I have very deep feelings for the organization and look forward to the challenges that lie ahead.”

Regina Pats forward and leading scorer Jordan Eberle played for Dale at Notre Dame and had these comments - “I’m very excited for the opportunity to work with Dale again. It’s going to be tough losing Curtis, but I believe that Dale is the right man for the job. When Curtis left I was hoping that Dale would get the opportunity to join the organization and I am really looking forward to the upcoming season.”

Joining Dale in his move to Regina are his wife Maria, and their three children Madison (12), Dale Jr.(4) and Dayce (1).