PDA

View Full Version : From Rod's Blog

nivek_wahs
08-05-2008, 07:07 PM
http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/

Regina Pats GM Brent Parker was on Sportsline on CKRM radio last night, noting the fact 2008 training camp is just three weeks away.

PARKER: We're having organizational meetings (today) with the hockey operations staff and the rest of the staff as well, getting everybody up to speed and on the same page. The players report on August 18th, we do fitness testing on the 19th, and they're on the ice on the 21st.

RP: You're gonna have a good team this year..

PARKER: I think we will Rod. We'll be competitive for sure. We'll be quicker, but not quite as big. We'll certainly be fast. We return six defencemen, two goaltenders and ten forwards off a team that had a pretty good year. We're looking for big things this year and we have some young players the fans are going to really like.

RP: Fans want to know how you're doing after having two cancer surgeries this spring and summer..

PARKER: I'm feeling really good Rod. I got all my bandages off a week ago which was eight weeks after the surgery and I've got all the movement back in my arm. I'm feeling really good. I've lost a few pounds which I could probably find a better way to lose weight but other than that I feel great and the doctors are encouraged. I've received a full clean bill of health.

RP: How's it been with your new coach Dale Derkatch?

PARKER: The biggest thing is that if you can't get excited about the season, life and hockey when you're around Dale Derkatch, then you don't have a pulse. He is full of energy, full of passion and he is a tremendously excited individual. I'm real comfortable knowing he'll jump in with both feet and do a tremendous job for us.

RP: It doesn't hurt that your best player (Jordan Eberle) loves him..

PARKER: That's important. Jordan has a tremendous amount of respect for him. You're right -- when your best player is on-side, it's great. A lot of our players have wondered what Dale's all about so they asked Jordan and he filled them in. He carries a lot of weight in the dressing room although he doesn't say a whole lot. That will give Dale a real leg-up going into the season.

RP: You'd like to sell some tickets?

PARKER: We've got two deadlines coming up -- at the end of the month, season ticket holders can get access to World Junior tickets as of August 31. They get first option on ticket packages in both cities. It's a great opportunity. You won't get just 36 games of this year and next, but you'll also get to see the best hockey that'll come along around here for many years to come. We thought the 2001 Memorial Cup was great, but this may be better. Call 522-PATS to get the packages.