PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell makes the cut

nivek_wahs
08-06-2008, 08:32 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=1fd4d313-525f-433b-a731-983189e35edd

Mitchell makes the cut

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Garrett Mitchell was almost speechless.

The 17-year-old Regina native had chills Tuesday after learning he was one of 22 players named to play for the Canadian under-18 team at the Memorial of Ivan Hlinka tournament, which runs Aug. 12-16 in Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

"I don't even know what to say; I get goosebumps thinking about it," Mitchell said from Calgary, site of Team Canada's tryout camp. "To be in that category -- the top 22 players in my age group in the whole country -- that's a huge honour. For me to put on the Canadian jersey and play for my country, that's special."

Mitchell was among 40 hopefuls who took part in a four-day selection camp at the Father David Bauer Arena in Calgary. Mitchell scored a goal in the team's final scrimmage on Tuesday, helping Team White post a 5-3 come-from-behind victory.

"I tried to play my game," explained Mitchell, a gritty winger with the WHL's Regina Pats. "I just came in with the mindset that I was going to play my game that I play back home. That's all I can do. I can contribute offensively too but I'm going to finish all my checks and go as hard as I can every shift. That's something you have to (realize). You can't change your game. If you're a guy who likes to finish his checks, you can't be out there trying to score goals. You have to stick to what you do best. If that's what got you to that point, obviously it's working for you."

This is Mitchell's second tour of duty with the national program. He also served as a captain with Team West at last year's World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, helping lead the Manitoba/Saskatchewan entry to a bronze medal.

"Making the under-17 team was something, but this is the best (from across Canada) in your own age group," noted Mitchell, who had eight goals, five assists and 73 penalty minutes in 62 games with Regina last season. "I know we have a long trip ahead of us but it's something I'm really looking forward to. I'm really pumped to go over there and see a different culture too. I want to bring home a gold medal. I think we have a team that can (do it)."

Mitchell is one of six Saskatchewan products on the team. The others are Saskatoon native Carter Ashton (Lethbridge Hurricanes), Davidson's Brayden McNabb (Kootenay Ice), Saskatoon's Jimmy Bubnick (Kamloops Blazers), Allan product Jared Cowen (Spokane Chiefs) and Saskatoon's Brayden Schenn (Brandon Wheat Kings).

Canada has won the tournament in three of the past four years. The team is scheduled to play exhibition games against the United States on Saturday and the Czechs on Sunday. The round-robin slate begins Tuesday versus Switzerland.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

patsdude114
08-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Congrats to Mitchell for making Team Canada under 18.... His work ethic is how a true canadian plays, never takes a shift off. Small, fast, hard worker are his best traits with alittle added scoring touch (which should be shown this year with the Pats hopfully at least 15 goal season)