PDA

View Full Version : Official: Sauter named coach

nivek_wahs
08-08-2008, 10:06 PM
http://www.spokanechiefs.com/news/?ID=2205

SAUTER NAMED HEAD COACH
8/8/2008

The Spokane Chiefs have named Hardy Sauter Head Coach, a promotion from his assistant coaching position he held last season. Sauter becomes the 10th full-time head coach in Chiefs history and the first former player named to the post. He is also the first assistant to be promoted to head coach on a full time basis in franchise history.

“I am excited and flattered for the opportunity,” Sauter said. “I think we have a pretty good thing going with some very talented and dedicated players returning. I can’t wait for the season to start and get back to work.”

The 37-year-old scored 13 goals and 61 points in 66 games for the Chiefs in 1991-92 after an early season trade with the Brandon Wheat Kings where he spent the majority of his junior career.

This past season was his first as Spokane Assistant Coach, where he was an integral part to the Chiefs Memorial Cup Championship. The Maryfield, Saskatchewan native replaces Bill Peters who was named Head Coach of the Rockford IceHogs in the American Hockey League.

Sauter signed a 3-year deal, terms of which were not be released.

“This is exciting news for our organization,” Chiefs General Manager Tim Speltz said. “Hardy has come full circle with our club; first as player, then as assistant coach and now as head coach. He was a big part of last year’s success and very deserving of this opportunity.”

“It is satisfying for our organization to have Hardy take over as head coach,” Chiefs President Bobby Brett said. “We are all about developing talent, from players to coaches, and to have a former player become an assistant and then move on to head coach it is the ultimate case of development. We couldn’t be happier to have Hardy lead our team.”

Sauter joined the Chiefs after a two year stint (2005-06, 2006-07) as the General Manager/Head Coach of the Nipawin Hawks in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League where he compiled a 74-29-6-4 record. In 2006, Sauter earned Coach of the Year honors and was a finalist for the award in 2007.

As a player in three seasons in the WHL, Sauter played 211 career games recording 36 goals, 123 assists and 159 points. After Spokane, the Maryfield, Saskatchewan native played two years at the University of Regina where he was named the Male Athlete of the Year in 1993-94 and was selected as CIAU All-Canadian.

After Sauter’s junior and collegiate careers were over, he spent 10 seasons in pro hockey, nine of those with the Oklahoma City Blazers. Sauter was a two-time Central Hockey League (CHL) Defenseman of the Year (1996-‘97, ’97-’98) and is the CHL’s all-time leader in all scoring related categories by defensemen. Overall, he ranks in the top 10 in three offensive categories in CHL history, regardless of position. League-wide, he finished his career ranked second in games played (590), second in assists (527) and third in points (669). Sauter was an all-star in all nine seasons he played in Oklahoma City. He owns a consecutive games played streak of 347 and played in 590 of a possible 598 games during his Blazers’ career.

Sauter served as a Player/Assistant Coach from 2000 through 2004 and then as the Assistant Director of Hockey Operations/Assistant Coach/Player in 2004-05.

“Hockey has always been a big part of his life and he grew up around the game,” Speltz said. Sauter’s dad Mike coached two seasons in Lethbridge winning 64 games in 1976-77 and 1979-80. His uncle Doug is seventh on the WHL’s all-time list with 417 wins in 756 games with the Calgary Wranglers, Medicine Hat Tigers, Regina Pats and Brandon.

“Coaching seemed like a natural fit,” Sauter said about his career choice after he retired. “It is no secret that I wasn’t an effective player because of my size. I competerd hard and had pretty good hockey sense, both of which I hope to convey to our players. I’m excited to get the chance at this level with this caliber of player and hope to be successful.”

Sauter and his wife Heidi have a 4-year-old daughter, Jessica.

The Chiefs will open their Annual Fall-Camp on Thursday, August 21st with ice-sessions in the Spokane Arena. The Red-White scrimmage will take place on Sunday, August 23rd at 1:00 pm. All ice-sessions are free and open to the public.