PDA

View Full Version : Eager to get behind the bench

nivek_wahs
08-12-2008, 07:25 PM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=1d284ca6-514c-44e1-9525-83fb4b61812f

Eager to get behind the bench

Braden Husdal, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The newest member of the Regina Pats is quickly and quietly adjusting to being the man in charge.

Dale Derkatch was at the Wascana Golf and Country Club on Monday for the Pats annual Wickenheiser Classic. The event is one of many public appearances the Pats all-time leader in goals and points has been thrust into since being named the head coach of the team on July 24.

"There's a few different events like this golf tournament and other speaking engagements that they've needed me to be at," said Derkatch. "Since I've been hired things have been a bit hectic and I'm really looking forward to getting the hockey side of the job going."

On top of his duties as head coach, Derkatch is also in the process of moving his family back to Regina from Wilcox where he held the position of director of hockey operations at the Athol Murray College of Notre Dame for the past four years. He coached the Hounds to a Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League championship last season.

Derkatch has already helped complete the transition for Del Pedrick to take over the head duties at Notre Dame.

With his job at Notre Dame behind him, Derkatch is anticipating starting the hockey operations part of his duties with the Pats.

"I'm really looking forward to the next challenges that I'll face in this job," said Derkatch. "The next step going forward is when rookie camp opens on Monday and main camp will open on Aug. 21."

Derkatch has already been in contact with all of the returning veteran Pats players either in person or over the phone. Most of the players are spread throughout Saskatchewan and Western Canada and a few have never met Derkatch in person.

Fortunately, Derkatch's position with Notre Dame kept him well-informed about elite hockey players in the province and he is confident there will be a smooth transition with players he may not know so well.

"I do know most of the players already but it was important to touch base with everyone and say, 'Hi,'" said Derkatch. "One of the things that the players will know coming in is that I have no preconceived notions about any of them or where they should play.

"Each one will have a fair chance to earn their spot on the team because that's what you get with a new coach. I may have seen some of these guys when they were younger but not much over the past couple of seasons."

For now, Derkatch has a bit of time to enjoy himself before the business of the season completely takes its hold. The Wickenheiser Classic provided some welcome leisure time. "Over the last four or five years I really haven't golfed much because I've always been busy and I have a very young family," he said. "Before that, when I was a scout with the Washington Capitals and when I was a player I would golf all the time.

"It's mixed emotions to be out here on the course because part of me just wants to get back to hockey but the other part says that I should try and enjoy this and relax."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008
Nice of the Pats to announce training camp less than a week before it starts. I booked holidays to go to camp and it just do happens that camp starts before my holidays do (oh well). So it looks like I will miss most of if not all of Rookie Camp. I will try to catch Main Camp.