PDA

View Full Version : Bo Montgomery to Regina???

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-15-2008, 03:43 AM
http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=121877405182850500

According to the Portland tribune, Bo Montgomery has decided that he will not return to the winterhawks. More specifically, to play for Regina. Apparently he is taking classes at the U of R next season, and GM Ken Hodge is trying to make it possible.

They say that if Montgomery plays anywhere in the WHL, its going to be for the pats. However, Hodge says near the bottom of the article that they "haven't had a whole lot of cooperation" from the pats.

Here is a link to his stats:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid%5B%5D=94210

From a personal standpoint, I would like to see Parker start "cooperating". He would be a good pickup for our club...Big and physical, and if he could put up any points on portland last year, perhaps he can surprise here. |If not, he is still a big body to add to our already physical blueline.

So this isnt just a rumor, but since its been already made public it might not happen (example: Figren).

At least its something related to next year...

wardog fan
08-15-2008, 07:16 AM
to say bo montgomery would be a good pickup is bold statement at best. yes bo was a highly ranked rearguard when he was drafted by lethbridge , he was traded to portland and never did a thing. his problem is he lost interest in playing hockey again cause he was never drafted or given a fair look in portland by nhl scouts. he is a smart kid i know his parents and he was home sick in portland and given the circumstances in portland last year what kid would have fun there? upside to bo is he has great parents and he does have size (tall) no weight. do i think he would help anyone no. but im never agaisnt giving a kid a chance he is only 18 and by chance could i mean could blossom and who knows playing closer to home might help him. but again from all i hear its in his head and heart that he just doesnt want to play in the whl anymore... but he is a 18 year kid and who knows what will happen tommorrow and the next day.

witness
08-15-2008, 09:08 AM
From where I sit, the Pats hold all the cards.

If Portland wanted a lower draft pick (a 4 rounder), the deal would have been done. I think Portland is looking for a roster player.

AlanC
08-15-2008, 11:40 AM
From where I sit, the Pats hold all the cards.

If Portland wanted a lower draft pick (a 4 rounder), the deal would have been done. I think Portland is looking for a roster player.

If you were Regina, why would you offer much of anything....since the Pats are the only team Montgomery can/will play for, Portland's choice is to either take whatever the Pats are offering, or not trade the guy. Not trading him means he'll just take up a spot on their PPL and won't help them at all.

Portland will not get fair value for Montgomery out of this deal. Apparently Hodge thinks he's got a lot stronger position than he really does.

SectionNDeserter
08-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Not trading him means he'll just take up a spot on their PPL and won't help them at all.As I recall, if he fails to report, he can be suspended (for 90 day intervals I think it is),and stay on their PPL without counting towards the total.

patsdude114
08-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Last time i checked the Pats dont need another 18 yr old defenceman...With the depth on the blueline returning we dont need to add a guy like Montgomery. So why would we give up anything worth any value besides a mid to late round draft choice. Maybe a package deal would be in the better minds of the Winterhawks to get something they want.

I am more then happy with the returning guys on the Pats backend, to add another unproven dman, with his question in not knowing what he wants to do.. I think its more high risk for the Pats. Why bring in a guy who could just be a bad egg (god knows we have had a few of those in the past few years) keep the guys we got returning on the blueline and move forward. See what we have after a month or so then see if we need to add something.

Cant wait til Monday when rookie camp opens, Im hoping to get off work at decent times this week to take in a scrimmage or 2.

grainbear
08-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Hockey once again is a school of hard knocks. Bo was simply one of those players who looked like he could have it all, for whatever reason it appears as if hockey will not be his answer unless Regina opens the door. He was from our 1990 bantam draft and from that year only Orfino remains on the team . Any wonder why Stasiuk brought Robson on board as director of personel.

snapshot
08-17-2008, 02:19 PM
to say bo montgomery would be a good pickup is bold statement at best. yes bo was a highly ranked rearguard when he was drafted by lethbridge , he was traded to portland and never did a thing.
His high ranking as a rearguard was never for offensive skills, it was about size. The big guys have to prove that they cannot play and the little guys have to prove that they can play over and over again. This phenomenon does not occur only in hockey, but in other sports. Just look at Dressler for the Riders. Bo played on a deplorable and disorganized team which has now been sold. He could make another WHL team as the 4th defenseman. He is not an offensive defenseman.

grainbear
08-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Looked at last years roster and with losing 1 to 3 d-men due to age, why no room for Bo if you get him for a late round draft pick. ? The other thing I am looking at is what is the bid deal about only Regina, Last I knew there are a lot of universities in WHL centers and it is only 1 course he would drop and replace at another institution. Besides, look to me that only Miler and Slobodian could possible come in since most of the time late round d-men don,t make the clubs or listed d-men.

wardog fan
08-17-2008, 10:02 PM
he wants to play closer to home is why he is in regina for school. i dont think he would want to play in moose jaw and have the pressure of playing in his home town. me personally sounds like he just doesnt want to play in the dub anymore. what team would want to take a chance on a kid who doesnt seem to have his heart in hockey. i could be wrong but thats my impressions on the situation and from what i have heard around town..

wardog fan
08-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Moose Jaw’s Bo Montgomery is trading life in the WHL for life as an undergrad.
Montgomery, practicing this week with the Moose Jaw Midget AAA Warriors, has turned down the chance to go back to Portland and play in the Western Hockey League this year, instead hitting the books at the University of Regina and playing with the university’s Cougars hockey team.
The studious Montgomery hasn’t met a textbook he didn’t like, and is using his time now in order to get a headstart on university hockey — and a career in business. The decision wasn’t difficult to make for the 18-year-old Moose Jaw native and Midget Warrior product.
“It wasn’t tough,” said Montgomery, who hasn’t picked his major yet. “The decision was easy. I wanted to go to school. I e-mailed the Cougars coach and see if I could play with them, and he said “Yeah, sure”.”
Montgomery played 57 games with the Portland Winter Hawks last season, scoring seven assists in his second year with the team. Montgomery, who won a Mac’s Midget Tournament scholarship three years ago, declined an offer from the Regina Pats to continue playing in the WHL while staying close to home.
“The Pats have been calling me a couple of times to see if I wanted to play with them,” Montgomery said. “I told them I wasn’t interested. I already committed to the Cougars and to schooling, so I’m going to do that.”