PDA

View Full Version : Plante to the Wheat Kings?

Joe Hallenback
08-18-2008, 08:20 AM
One rumor that has persisted over the last month or so is that Plante will end up being traded at some point from Calgary. It seems Calgary will be a rebuilding year this year (Alzner gone,7 20 olds on the roster,lack of of really top end 16-17 year olds this year outside of Mckenzie) and they will be looking to offload some older talent ie..Plante for young players and draft picks. Its only natural for a guy like Plante to come back from to his hometown and play on what could be a great team for the next 2 years.

Now the question is what would it take to get him?

It's almost a gurantee that you will not see any roster player from the Wheat Kings go in a trade. Schenn,Glennie,Calvert,Robak,and Melynchuk are all untouchable at this point. Klarc Wilson our recent 1st round pick is untouchable as well. With the addition of Lewadniuk who is a very similar player to Green and Fehr you would almost think one of them would be involved. At this point I would say Green is the most expendable.

I am sure a defensive prospect would also be involved and I would guess one of Miller and Erdhardt would be involved as well.

So my thinking is this

Green+1 of Miller/Erdhardt +2nd 2009 bantam draft pick for Plante

We give up alot for a guy who had injuries but the promise of adding another 6'6 defenseman who has alot of experience who could put us over the top is intriguing to say the least.

sbtatter
08-18-2008, 09:16 AM
One rumor that has persisted over the last month or so is that Plante will end up being traded at some point from Calgary. It seems Calgary will be a rebuilding year this year (Alzner gone,7 20 olds on the roster,lack of of really top end 16-17 year olds this year outside of Mckenzie) and they will be looking to offload some older talent ie..Plante for young players and draft picks. Its only natural for a guy like Plante to come back from to his hometown and play on what could be a great team for the next 2 years.

Now the question is what would it take to get him?

It's almost a gurantee that you will not see any roster player from the Wheat Kings go in a trade. Schenn,Glennie,Calvert,Robak,and Melynchuk are all untouchable at this point. Klarc Wilson our recent 1st round pick is untouchable as well. With the addition of Lewadniuk who is a very similar player to Green and Fehr you would almost think one of them would be involved. At this point I would say Green is the most expendable.

I am sure a defensive prospect would also be involved and I would guess one of Miller and Erdhardt would be involved as well.

So my thinking is this

We give up alot for a guy who had injuries but the promise of adding another 6'6 defenseman who has alot of experience who could put us over the top is intriguing to say the least.
I've heard the same rumours, but is Plante really the type of d-man we need? I say he isn't. He's soft and injury prone, we need a tough guy back there, who can punish the opposition. I think Green is going to score a lot of points this year, so if we trade him it'd better be for a younger, tougher d-man....I wouldn't give up Miller for anything either...

Vik
08-18-2008, 02:29 PM
I've heard the same rumours, but is Plante really the type of d-man we need? I say he isn't. He's soft and injury prone, we need a tough guy back there, who can punish the opposition. I think Green is going to score a lot of points this year, so if we trade him it'd better be for a younger, tougher d-man....I wouldn't give up Miller for anything either...
Since when is Plante soft? He's not exactly Steven Later but he's no Colby Robak either. And I wouldn't call him injury prone. He just had some awful luck last year. It's not like he was injured in just a normal hockey play or anything. And Green may put up some good totals next year but I don't think it'll be for us. He's going to be on our 3rd line and probably won't be getting power play time. It'd be tough to give up Miller for him but I think it'd be worth it.

dagley
08-18-2008, 07:34 PM
I like our D as it is now.

Aulie - Robak
Erb - Melynchuk
Grill-Donovan - Miller/Ehrnhardt

I am quite confident in those top 4 D-men and adding Plante wouldn't really benefit us in a big way, my personal opinion. I look mainly to Erb to bring the toughness factor, and Aulie/Robak are two of the top D in the Eastern Conference. I like our second pairing, if they were to look like this as a tough defensive unit. Perhaps we could use a more experienced D-man to anchor the third unit though, but I wouldn't look for such an expensive commodity.

sbtatter
08-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Since when is Plante soft? He's not exactly Steven Later but he's no Colby Robak either. And I wouldn't call him injury prone. He just had some awful luck last year. It's not like he was injured in just a normal hockey play or anything. And Green may put up some good totals next year but I don't think it'll be for us. He's going to be on our 3rd line and probably won't be getting power play time. It'd be tough to give up Miller for him but I think it'd be worth it.
I'm not digging at you, but have you ever seen Plante win a fight or plaster a forward into the boards? We need an aggressive Ben Wright type, not a passive guy...I wouldn't trade Miller or Erdhardt for him, let alone Green who will be a ppg guy. I would trade Green or Fehr for a 17 or 18 year old tough d-man or tough winger (like Shultz), along with a draft pick for us, b/c we do have a huge amount of forward talent....I hope Green isn't the guy to go though, b/c you could really see him improve as last season went on....

Vik
08-19-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm not digging at you, but have you ever seen Plante win a fight or plaster a forward into the boards?
I have seen him take a guy out before, yes. As for the fighting, I think I have but I could be mistaken. I remember him going after Ryan Reaves one time in Brandon (though I don't like mentioning it because he chased after him and got him from behind...guess that teaches Ryan for wanting to hit but not fight).

We need an aggressive Ben Wright type, not a passive guy...
Wright isn't the most aggressive guy either. Actually, considering how good he seems to be with the gloves off, he rarely does it. That said, if we could somehow get a Ben Wright, I'd be ecstatic.

I wouldn't trade Miller or Erdhardt for him, let alone Green who will be a ppg guy.
Now here's something that confuses me. Miller and Ehrhardt haven't even played in the league yet but you're willing to keep them over a veteran who was on the top pairing for a team that knocked out a strong Wheat Kings roster? I think if we listed that as a 2007 2nd/4th, no one would think too much of it. I mean that's what we gave up for Klinkhammer and most people seem to think that was a steal for us.
And along with what I said in my last post, I don't think Green is a point/game guy unless he gets moved.

I would trade Green or Fehr for a 17 or 18 year old tough d-man or tough winger (like Shultz), along with a draft pick for us, b/c we do have a huge amount of forward talent....I hope Green isn't the guy to go though, b/c you could really see him improve as last season went on....
I don't know about moving one of those guys for a tough winger. I'd be for getting a tough guy but I'd have trouble doing it at the expense of either of those guys.

I like our D as it is now.

Aulie - Robak
Erb - Melynchuk
Grill-Donovan - Miller/Ehrnhardt

I am quite confident in those top 4 D-men and adding Plante wouldn't really benefit us in a big way, my personal opinion.
I'm thinking you're overrating Melnychuk. I think he's capable of playing top 4 minutes but I think we'd be better off with him on the 3rd pairing. And of those dmen, the only one I see who can really play power play minutes is Robak. Unless someone else improves a lot offensively, I think Plante would be a huge upgrade there.

sbtatter
08-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Schultz brings goals and toughness, and a year younger than Fehr or Green, that's why I'd trade for him, along with a draft pick for the WK's.
Plante lost that fight to Reaves, as one of his teammates said, "Plantes a punching bag".
I wouldn't trade any of Green, Miller or Erdhardt for Plante bc we don't need another soft, 19 year old d-man. Green was one of the most improved guys last year, and the 2 young d-men have too much potential to trade for a 1 year player.
Sorry if that hurts any Plante fans out there, he'd be ok for us if we didn't have a glut of 19 year olds, and if we didn't need to add toughness...

Joe Hallenback
08-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Plante is perfect for a team that is going to make a run this year and next year. Edmonton is prepared to wait while he develops and having a competitive team for the next 2 years is a good spot for a young guy who has had a bad development year.

Plante is not soft. Sure he is not Yeo but he has great size and is willing to step up for teammates. Add to the fact that he can play top minutes and help a powerplay and you got a guy who is ideal for Brandon. This is a guy who is a former first round pick and that says alot about what his talent level is. He is an elite level player for the WHL and would go along way to helping us get to the Memorial cup and possibly have a very strong team if we host it.

Giving up a guy like Green is always tough but you have to understand he will be a THIRD line guy in Brandon and while he may produce more with more minutes played he will not them here.

btw a guy like Schultz would never be traded. He is perfect for a rebuilding team and when he is 20 he will end up leading that Calgary team. They would be stupid to trade him now.

Robak Aulie
Melnychuk Plante
Erb/McCue Miller/Erdhardt

I like that alot. Huge size,Good puck movers. Exactly what you need to win just ask Spokane.

Vik
08-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Schultz brings goals and toughness, and a year younger than Fehr or Green, that's why I'd trade for him, along with a draft pick for the WK's.
Well if it's Schultz himself, then I may do it but if we're moving one of them for a tough guy, he's gotta have some skill too.

Plante lost that fight to Reaves, as one of his teammates said, "Plantes a punching bag".
No he didn't. After the first punch, Reaves didn't get back up until they pulled Plante off of him.

And on top of that, what Joe said. Though I'd have the defense as...
Aulie - Plante
Robak - Erb
Melnychuk - AGD/Miller/Ehrhardt

sbtatter
08-19-2008, 03:50 PM
If Kelly Mac makes the trade I'll support him, but I'd want assurances that Plante would stay 2 years, and I'd want Kelly to tell him he needs to be physical, although it still doesn't help the O/A situation next year.. I just think that we need toughness. Maybe Calgary have to take less in a trade b/c Plante is vocal in his wanting out of Calgary...
Shultz would be perfect for us, tough and can score, and younger.
So to keep you 2 happy, we get Plante, keep me happy, Shultz, what would we realistically have to give up to get them both?

sbtatter
08-19-2008, 03:53 PM

So my thinking is this

That's too much to give up, how about Grill Donovan instead, b/c we can surmise Plante is holding out on the Hitmen (if us joe blows know about it), so Calgary's position is a little weaker than normal...

Vik
08-19-2008, 04:19 PM
That's too much to give up, how about Grill Donovan instead, b/c we can surmise Plante is holding out on the Hitmen (if us joe blows know about it), so Calgary's position is a little weaker than normal...
Well I'm guessing we don't start with that offer. If we can get him for less, I'm all for it. And there probably will be pressure on Calgary to move him, not just from Plante wanting to leave but from the Oilers who probably want him somewhere that he'll get big minutes on a good team. So yeah, we may be able to get him for less. The only thing is that it depends what other team(s) would be interested in him and what they'd be willing to give up.

AlanC
08-20-2008, 08:55 AM

Even if Plante does want a trade, holding out would be a really bad idea. He NEEDS to have a good year this year in order to convince the Oilers to sign him after his injury-plagued and quite unimpressive 07-08 season.

If he holds out and the Hitmen take their time trading him, he could miss part of the season to start with and then will also not be in game shape when he does get moved.

Unless there's a really, really good reason why he can't play in Calgary anymore, he is better off to show up and play while a deal gets worked out. That goes for almost every player who wants a trade, not just Plante.

sbtatter
08-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Even if Plante does want a trade, holding out would be a really bad idea. He NEEDS to have a good year this year in order to convince the Oilers to sign him after his injury-plagued and quite unimpressive 07-08 season.

If he holds out and the Hitmen take their time trading him, he could miss part of the season to start with and then will also not be in game shape when he does get moved.

Unless there's a really, really good reason why he can't play in Calgary anymore, he is better off to show up and play while a deal gets worked out. That goes for almost every player who wants a trade, not just Plante.
I agree with all of that....
And even though it's well documented I don't think he is the best solution to our defensive/toughness frailities if he ends up here I will support him, for the greater good of the WK's!!

Bugsy
08-21-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm not digging at you, but have you ever seen Plante win a fight or plaster a forward into the boards? We need an aggressive Ben Wright type, not a passive guy...I wouldn't trade Miller or Erdhardt for him, let alone Green who will be a ppg guy. I would trade Green or Fehr for a 17 or 18 year old tough d-man or tough winger (like Shultz), along with a draft pick for us, b/c we do have a huge amount of forward talent....I hope Green isn't the guy to go though, b/c you could really see him improve as last season went on....

Uh, yes. Yes I have

And in regards to Plante going to Brandon: no, no, no, no, no, no, no! Because if it comes close to being a real trade, I'm going to have to kill Kelly Kisio and anyone else involved in the trade. Don't expect to see any winking smilies. I'm not kidding :burningma

armypower
08-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Believe me, you guys don't want Plante,I know he is a Brandon
kid but having watched him alot for the last 2 yrs, he is the most
overated defenceman in the league......Kevin Lowe made a big mistake
taking this guy in the first round, I know he has had injuries but a guy
with his size plays very soft, has no shot , no hands, and anyone with
speed gets around him very easy....This is why he was a healthy scratch
more than once during last years playoffs....

Crush Kill Destroy
08-22-2008, 06:53 AM
Calgary played 16 playoff games in 2007-08. Plante dressed for 15 of those games.

He couldn't have been scratched "more" than once.

AlanC
08-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Calgary played 16 playoff games in 2007-08. Plante dressed for 15 of those games.

He couldn't have been scratched "more" than once.

No, but he was benched for long stretches in a few of those games. Most notable one that comes to mind was the double-OT game against Swift Current where Plante and his partner Dan Mercer never got a shift in the entire overtime. I'm not sure they got a shift in the third period of regulation either.

That's an NHL first round pick with his butt stapled to the bench through three critical periods of a playoff game. How often does that happen?

He was hurt to start the year and then never seemed to get going all season. We never really saw the Plante that looked so good as a 17 year old. Not even the Plante who played a regular shift in the 04-05 playoffs as a 15 year old. So the $1,000,000 question (literally, if you're the Oilers) is, was last year a blip or was his outstanding 06-07 draft year the blip?

Bugsy
08-22-2008, 10:08 AM

As much as I hate to admit it, you're right. I wouldn't pick him until the late 2nd or early 3rd round. I just wish the flames picked him up. And no shot? He doesn't need a good shot. I personally think he's underrated. people say how crappy his shot and checking are. He's actually a decent checker, and he does the little things that most people don't notice.

Joe Hallenback
08-22-2008, 12:44 PM
I think Plante's situation has alot more to do with Kisio's coaching style then anything. Kisio will ride certain players like Getzlaff or Alzner so much to the point he overplays guys.

If anything Vancouver and now Spokane have shown that 4 competitive lines and 6 defencemen that you put out in any situation is the key to success in the WHL.

Plante was an excellent 16 year old and had IMO an outstanding draft season. He needs a change to get that confidence back and coming back home to play on what maybe the best team in the league is good for him

Vik
08-22-2008, 03:41 PM
I think Plante's situation has alot more to do with Kisio's coaching style then anything. Kisio will ride certain players like Getzlaff or Alzner so much to the point he overplays guys.

If anything Vancouver and now Spokane have shown that 4 competitive lines and 6 defencemen that you put out in any situation is the key to success in the WHL.
So it isn't just me that thought Kisio rode some of his guys way too hard in last year's playoffs. I couldn't figure it out myself. You'd think with a 3rd pairing like Plante and Mercer you'd be a little more willing to get everyone into the game then other teams.

brandonboy
08-23-2008, 11:57 AM
I agree with you but not compleatly, he is the seconed most overated dman in the league behind Robak!

GlutenGlutton
08-26-2008, 12:49 PM
This makes more sense than just about any speculated trade I've ever seen. The Wheat Kings might be the best in the league at finding and giving new life to a player who's down on his luck but has a lot more in him. Plante to me is the dictionary definition of that with the big wild card being his health.

If the Hitmen are looking for 1st round NHL pick value they'll have a hard time trading him anywhere after last year. I have a hunch that as long as he isn't overpriced there'll be a spot in Brandon for him.

peatfan
08-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Just to add more fuel to this topic but Plante never showed up at the Hitmen camp. He told Kisio he wants out and won't be back to Calgary. Shade of Dansereau from last year. Hope where ever he lands he stays injury free and has a better attitude. Last year he wasn't into the game and if you had the chance to talk to him or observed him last year you would agree. He does have some potential.

armypower
09-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Calgary is a first class organization,maybe Kisio should
trade him to Prince George

Brandonite
09-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Calgary is a first class organization,maybe Kisio should
trade him to Prince George

No kidding, I totally agree! What a brutal attitude to have. He's 19 years old hes already trying to determine where he plays and is even willing to sit at home!! If you think the Hitmen are bad, send him to P.G.!! What a joke that is, just because hes drafted and things arent going so good...

GlutenGlutton
09-05-2008, 09:29 AM
I would hope Kisio's job isn't so secure that he can afford to take anything less than the best offer for his team.

I don't think we should pass judgement on Plante until we know specifics. If he's anything like the other Plante we had, he would have to have a very good reason.

Vik
09-05-2008, 04:42 PM
I would hope Kisio's job isn't so secure that he can afford to take anything less than the best offer for his team.

I don't think we should pass judgement on Plante until we know specifics. If he's anything like the other Plante we had, he would have to have a very good reason.
Have you guys seen the reports that have come out? Based on what I've read, I'd say Kisio is looking worse than Plante in this whole situation.

sbtatter
09-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Have you guys seen the reports that have come out? Based on what I've read, I'd say Kisio is looking worse than Plante in this whole situation.
Really? What"s Kisio said?

Vik
09-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Really? What"s Kisio said?

The thing I got real problems with is...
"We played him with Karl Alzner so he could have a big draft year, then he gets hurt and never really gets back into game shape and we're getting blamed for it."

Bugsy
09-06-2008, 02:36 PM
The thing I got real problems with is...
"We played him with Karl Alzner so he could have a big draft year, then he gets hurt and never really gets back into game shape and we're getting blamed for it."

Ooh! Ooh! Let me!

Well Mr. Kisio, the reason he "didn't really get back into game shape" (*cough*he did* cough cough*) is because you have that nice little crush on Alzner. Yes he's a good player, but your planning kind of sucks. Instead of helping develop guys that could have been around for a while, you rode a guy who is established and for sure won't be around. Glad you're not the coach anymore. so after all this, I have two things to say to you. First, apologize to Plante and try to get him back before it's too late. Second, don't screw up Santini!

brandon#1
09-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Look at Kisio's record as Coach and GM it speaks for itself. I would take him in Brandon in a heartbeat. As for Alzner he had the best D man in the CHL last year any coach would have him on the ice as much as he could. Oh and by the way I believe Dave Lowry ran the D not Kisio. Check your facts you sound like an idiot!

Vik
09-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Look at Kisio's record as Coach and GM it speaks for itself. I would take him in Brandon in a heartbeat.
I'd say Calgary has mainly disappointed since Kisio took over. They've done well but if you look at the players and teams they've had, they should have at the very least seen a WHL Finals by now. Last year they were expected to be the one team in the East that could contend with the powers of the West and they got swept in the Eastern Conference Finals. I'm not a big fan of McCrimmon but I'd rather have our Kelly than their Kelly.

Brandonite
09-09-2008, 05:24 AM
I've been hearing that the asking price for Plante is absolutely ridiculous. Apparently last season, the Oil Kings inquired about him and said the same thing that the Hitmen were seeking way too much. I can see them asking for a guy like Robak or Aulie (one of our top d-men) for him which I would NEVER do even if Im not so big on Aulie. I would give up guys like Green, Jefferies, Cowan, Grill Donovan, King...but not guys like Aulie or Robak. That would completely take away the point in getting a guy like Plante. Robak is the only guy we have this year to run the PP. What is Brandon gonna do when Robak gets hurt because he already has no one really to work the point with on the PP except for a guy like Lowry who stepped back there a few times last season

sbtatter
09-09-2008, 07:14 AM
I've been hearing that the asking price for Plante is absolutely ridiculous. Apparently last season, the Oil Kings inquired about him and said the same thing that the Hitmen were seeking way too much. I can see them asking for a guy like Robak or Aulie (one of our top d-men) for him which I would NEVER do even if Im not so big on Aulie. I would give up guys like Green, Jefferies, Cowan, Grill Donovan, King...but not guys like Aulie or Robak. That would completely take away the point in getting a guy like Plante. Robak is the only guy we have this year to run the PP. What is Brandon gonna do when Robak gets hurt because he already has no one really to work the point with on the PP except for a guy like Lowry who stepped back there a few times last season
Why give up anything for another 19 year old? Lets give up assets for a good 17 or 18 year old.
I think Melnychuk might be the answer on the PP this year, he's looked good back there so far....

armypower
09-09-2008, 11:09 AM
This situation could get ugly because ,yes I believe Kisio will ask
way to much for Plante and he won't give him away, that's the way
he operates.......IMO Plante should have reported and waited for a
trade but like someone said earlier we don't really know what the situation is..
The kid needs to play hockey and I hope for his sake he doesn't sit too long..

Bugsy
09-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Look at Kisio's record as Coach and GM it speaks for itself. I would take him in Brandon in a heartbeat. As for Alzner he had the best D man in the CHL last year any coach would have him on the ice as much as he could. Oh and by the way I believe Dave Lowry ran the D not Kisio. Check your facts you sound like an idiot!

Ow. My pride. My mistake, I didn't know Lowry ran the defense. Now I feel even worse worse about our chances.;) And yes, I am aware that Kisio has a very good record. In the regular season. In the playoffs, it's a different story. The goalie can't let the rest of the team do all the work, (When was the last time you heard that?) and everybody, even coaches has to step it up. Hopefully lowry learned his lesson, and will do better this year.

Vik
09-09-2008, 07:46 PM
I've been hearing that the asking price for Plante is absolutely ridiculous. Apparently last season, the Oil Kings inquired about him and said the same thing that the Hitmen were seeking way too much.
Yeah, I heard Kisio was looking for 1 (possibly two) of the Oil Kings top forwards for him. Strange to me that he's looking for so much considering he's been saying how poorly Plante did last year.

hitmanfan
09-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I heard Kisio was looking for 1 (possibly two) of the Oil Kings top forwards for him. Strange to me that he's looking for so much considering he's been saying how poorly Plante did last year.

I think the asking is price is based on potential. Plante can be a very good player when he wants to and isn't hurt. Plante never got back up to speed after the butt injury in Oilers camp :spineyes: and then got the concusion compliments of a check from behind from Chorneyko. He was benched in the playoffs due to playing like a 7 d man. BUT if he worked out this summer and doesn't get hurt he will log some big time minutes for someone.

sbtatter
09-10-2008, 12:12 AM
I think the asking is price is based on potential. Plante can be a very good player when he wants to and isn't hurt. Plante never got back up to speed after the butt injury in Oilers camp :spineyes: and then got the concusion compliments of a check from behind from Chorneyko. He was benched in the playoffs due to playing like a 7 d man. BUT if he worked out this summer and doesn't get hurt he will log some big time minutes for someone.
I'll give you Cowan and Rouse for him.
Or if you throw Schultz in you can have Fehr , King and Rock as well....

hitmanfan
09-10-2008, 10:27 AM
I'll give you Cowan and Rouse for him.
Or if you throw Schultz in you can have Fehr , King and Rock as well....
No thanks, I like Schultzy too much. His has the aggression his big brother never had and some good hands.