PDA

View Full Version : Parker ready for season

nivek_wahs
08-20-2008, 07:07 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=d787331e-b15b-4cbf-a897-c50a2504fbcd

Parker ready for season

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, August 20, 2008

There's excitement in the voice of Regina Pats GM Brent Parker as he makes final preparations for the start of training camp on Thursday.

More than ever, Parker has found comfort in the daily rigours of a familiar routine.

"I'm almost kind of relieved that it's here," offered Parker, who endured the most challenging offseason of his 14-year WHL career. "I'm anxious to get back to the rink. There's always that renewed enthusiasm that goes with the start of a new year -- guys getting back and seeing all the changes in them. They mature so much year-to-year at this age. It's always fun to watch the kids grow up. And then just watching through camp and seeing it all take shape. It's always a lot of fun."

It was certainly a long summer for the defending East Division champions, who -- after gearing up for a long playoff run -- were eliminated in the first round by the Swift Current Broncos. Shortly thereafter, Parker was diagnosed with a soft tissue cancer in his upper back and shoulder.

Parker has undergone multiple surgeries, treatments and tests over the offseason, all culminating in an optimistic prognosis.

"I think my health situation is going the right direction," he said. "I'm encouraged by that. In the meantime I plan on doing my job -- as much as I can. I feel like there's no reason I shouldn't be doing everything (he normally does)."

In the midst of his health issues, Parker found himself dealing with another unexpected crisis when head coach Curtis Hunt submitted his resignation to become an assistant with the Ottawa Senators. Hunt's departure on July 11 didn't leave Parker much time to find a new bench boss.

Two weeks later, he hired Pats legend Dale Derkatch.

"It is what it is," Parker said of his offseason. "I said that right from Day 1 when I found out about my situation and Curtis's situation with him leaving. There are just some things you can't control. You play the hand you're dealt and you try not to get too worked up about it. I think I'm anxious just to get going with respect to not talking about all the other stuff anymore: 'How is your new coach going to be? Were you surprised that Curtis left? How are you feeling?' I'd rather get asked about the power play or why we aren't scoring. I'd much rather have those conversations."

Amidst a hectic and emotionally draining summer, Parker has done his best to fit in some personal and family time whenever possible. Although he's paying for it now with a stack of work on his desk, Parker and his wife took a brief holiday last week to San Francisco, enjoying some therapeutic time away from the daily routine.

Now it's back to reality.

Asked if he feels re-energized by the start of a new season or exhausted by the events of the past five months, Parker said it was "probably a combination."

"I'm quite honestly still spinning a little bit," he said. "I have a couple of doctors' appointments in the middle of camp, which is a little different. (The summer) really flew by, to be honest. It doesn't seem like that long ago that I was sitting in the hospital in Calgary. It'll be nice to get on the bus next week to go to Edmonton (for a preseason tournament). Those kind of things, as crazy as it sounds, sitting on a bus for eight hours, it's part of what we do. I don't like riding the bus but maybe I'll have a better appreciation for it now.

"I guess maybe that's the best way to put it: It'll be nice to get back to some normalcy in our lives."

- - -

BLOG

More at LEADERPOST.COM

For more on the Regina Pats go to Greg Harder's blog Slap Shots.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

CJSenterprise4
08-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Let's get this season underway!! Pumped up for another year of Hockey. Lots of questions to be answered about the team right now...Is Bartley going to come back? Who will get the 3 overage spots? Exciting stuff!!