PDA

View Full Version : players to watch

wango tango
08-21-2008, 12:05 PM
i want to see

team blue

#14 dziurzynski - hoping he'll improve upon his short year last season.
#15 hebel - had a good camp last year, hoping he'll be one of the surprises.

team white

#22 berg - has his skating improved?
#36 kytnar - blades new euro, pencilled into the top line right now?
#42 b. sutter - is on the same team as his cousin lukas.
# 44 l. sutter - playing with cousin brody, not eligible until next year.

team grey

#5 joe - new 20 d-man picked up in kelowna trade.
#10 chikie - one of the rookies pushing for a spot.
#14 crooks - another rookie pushing for a spot.
#16 gallimore - came with langkow from spokane in the mccrae trade.

team red

#10 hamilton - bigger, stronger, ready for a breakout?
#16 nicholls - named to bc's under 17 team. lot's of talent.

wango tango
08-21-2008, 01:32 PM
am i just missing langkow on the roster, or as a veteran does he get a pass to later in the week?

Trav
08-21-2008, 09:21 PM
red and white play tonight, was really impressed with Inglis and Nicholls, they might be the only two 16's on the team this year. They could be top notch scorers in the future.

Matt Sokol looked pretty decent, I think he could be a good fit on the third line. He has to make a case for third line duty if not higher in my opinion to stick.

Berg looked much improved but reserving judgement on him until after the pre-season.

I didnt get a good read from the game as I was constantly looking at the paper with the names of it. Tomorrow I'll be watching all four teams so hopefuly get a better look.

wango tango
08-22-2008, 03:07 PM
First, the good news from opening day of Saskatoon Blades' training camp...the Aberdeen Rec Complex is fabulous. A full-sized ice surface, better-than-adequete dressing rooms, large indoor viewing areas...both at ice level and upstairs for Blades' management, coaches and scouts. And, for me, a nice-sized sound booth where I was able to do live sportscasts while the scrimmages were going on. Big thanks to Alyssa and Yolanta for setting me up and being so helpful!

Secondly, I was only at camp for the scrimmages. To me, the practices are only worthwhile watching for the aforementioned management, coaches and scouts. For media and fans, they're a waste of time. A practice isn't going to tell me anything about which players deserve to be on the team ahead of others. The scrimmage games are only slightly better in my eye...to me, real evaluation as to who should be, say, the back-up to Braden Holtby in goal, or the sixth, seventh and eighth defencemen or the third and fourth linr forwards...starts on August 31st when the Blades put on real jerseys and play in Prince Albert against a team wearing the Raiders' logo on their jerseys!

But, people seem to want to know what happened in the scrimmages...so here's what I saw:

Team Blue 10, Team Grey 4 - Scoring for Blue were Brent...

for the rest go to les lazaruk's blades blog

http://saskatoonblades.com/News/Loft/

Trav
08-22-2008, 10:02 PM
In net,

It's obviously between Morrison and Krahn for the backup spot, so far neither of them has been a whole lot better then the other.

Forwards

It's a shame fifteen year olds can't play in the league, Brent Benson and Lukas Sutter would definitely make it. I can't compare him to Nugent-Hopkins and the other top forwards that were picked ahead of him but I seriously think the Blades made a great move by selecting Siemens 3rd and then Benson 6th since Edmonton and PA were reported to have had their eyes on Siemens after Portland passed him up. Lukas Sutter is pretty aggresive and doesn't seem to back down from anyone.

Charles Inglis continues to impress, certainly one of the best players on the ice. Don't care what people may think of him, he doesn't take a shift off. When he's on the ice, you'll know.

Jonathon Robinson could be a steal in the future. The California kid may disappear but then he'll appear out of nowhere and make a nice play and create a scoring chance.

Matt Sokol should stick with the Blades. He's been all over the ice.

Rhys Kingston could turn in to a solid two way player, noticed him quite a bit.

Didn't really notice Josh Nichols all that much today.

Milan Kytnar looked more impressive then yesterday which shouldn't be no surprise, he's likely more used to his linemates now.

Defense

Duncan Siemens was the only d-man that I thought stood out with the exception of Niemi. He could easily play in the league now.