PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp 2008

nivek_wahs
08-24-2008, 05:14 PM
From Greg Harder.... http://communities.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/blogs/slapshots/archive/2008/08/24/pats-camp-stuff.aspx

Pats camp stuff

Here are the results from the first two days of scrimmages in Regina Pats training camp:

In a rookie scrimmage, Team Blue defeated Team White 5-4 in a shootout.
Blue: Dallas Hubic, Dyson Stevenson (2), and Jordan Daniels. Hubic scored the shootout winner.
White: Lucas Froese, Ryan Ostertag, Dylan Bentz and Dayton Reinboldt.

In a vets scrimmage, Jeff Bosch stopped 15 out of 15 shots in his half of the game, backstopping Team Grey to a 4-1 win over Team Red.
Grey: Victor Bartley, Kyle Mulder, Chad Filateau and Jordan Weal.
Red: Graham Hood.

In a rookie scrimmage, Team White dumped Team Blue 8-1.
White: Riley Storzuk (2), Brett Charette, Ryan Baskerville, Dayton Reinboldt, Dustin Eberle, Casey Pirio and Myles Bell.
Blue: Dyson Stevenson

In another rookie scrimmage, Riley Storzuk was traded to the Blue team, which posted a 5-3 win.
Blue: Riley Storzuk, Matthew Hildebrandt, Dyson Stevenson, Michael Benson and Dallas Hubic.
White: Dayton Reinboldt, Myles Bell and Joshua Schwindt.

In a vets scrimmage, Team Red beat Team Grey 4-3.
Red: Ryan DePape (3) and Curtis Kulchar.
Grey: Drew George and Kirt Hill.

nivek_wahs
08-24-2008, 05:18 PM
I was at all the weekend scrimmages and I wasn't keeping track of the scorers or anything like that (especially the rookies as I had no clue as to who 90% of them are). I will post my thoughts on the "vets" a bit later on tonight.... I will break them down into positions and give a little write-up about each player. I might even make bold predictions as to who may make the team..... but I haven't decided that yet :D .

Edit: I will post my thoughts tomorrow.... Need to type them up.

nivek_wahs
08-24-2008, 05:22 PM
From Rod's Blog.....
http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/2008/08/pats-camp-day-4-complete.html

Training Camp Day 4

Lumsden, Saskatchewan – Day four of Pats training camp 2008 was a big one for the rookies. Today was their fourth and final scrimmage of camp, before the main camp invitations went out. The game saw Team Blue skate away with the 6-3 win over Team White.
Scoring for the Blue were Riley Storzuk (2), Michael Benson (2), Matthew Hildebrandt and Michael Sagen.
For Team Red were Lucas Froese, and Brett Charette (2).

15 players have been invited to the Pats main camp:
Dyson Stevenson - For
Riley Storzuk - For
Jordan Daniels –For
Tyler Borstmeyer -Def
Shamus Graham - Def
Dawson Guhle – Goal
Corey Nygaard – Goal
Austin Vargo – Goal
Tyler Pavkovich – Def
Myles Bell – Def
Lucas Froese – For
Dustin Eberle – For
Dayton Reinbodlt – For
Ryan Baskerville – For
James Dobni – For

Sunday concluded with the veteran inter-squad game. Team Grey, lead by Kyle Mulder's three goals cruised to the 9-3 win over Team Red. Also scoring for the Grey's were Drew George (2), Clarke Breitkreuz, Jordan Weal, Scott Doucet, and Graham Hood, while Victor Bartley had four assists. Scoring in the loss for the Red's were Garrett Mitchell, Colten Teubert, and Andrew Rieder.

After the scrimmage, the following players were designated for assignment:
Clarke Byczynski – to Yorkton (SJHL)
Kyle Wells – to Winkler (MJHL)
Bo Lenard – to Melfort (SJHL)
Klynt Spencer – to Lethbridge Midget-AAA (AMHL)

The Pats are also dealing with some bumps and bruises with the current players on the shelf, all are just out day-to-day.
Brett Leffler – groin
Dallas Jackson – groin
Andrew Reider – arm laceration
Byron Sorenson – thumb
Josh Elder – Knee
Chad Filteau – Back

Main camp dawns tomorrow morning at 9:30 as the players prepare for the annual Pats' Blue and White game Tuesday night at 7pm.

Schedule for Monday August 25th, 2008
9:30 – 10:30am Blue Practice Lumsden Arena
10:45 – 11:45am White Practice Lumsden Arena
7:00 – 9:00pm Scrimmage Lumsden Arena
………………….

2008-09 Regina Pats season tickets are currently on sale at the Pats Office, located at the west end of the Brandt Centre. Call 522-PATS to reserve your seat for the upcoming season of Regina Pats Hockey.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Is Elder's knee the same injury he had last year?

And are there any players that ended up being a no show?

nivek_wahs
08-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Is Elder's knee the same injury he had last year?I can't say as to what happened to Elder.... He was there for the first period and a bit of the scrimmage and then he was gone. No big hit nothing that looked too serious.

And are there any players that ended up being a no show?I think all of the players on the list showed up. The amount of skaters matched the list of players. So I would take a guess and say "no"

nivek_wahs
08-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Well here goes nothing...

Goalies

I think the Pats brass has a conundrum on their hands with the goaltending situation. In my personal opinion I think that there is no clear cut #1. I think they have a #1A and #1B and that order is a very grey area. But for now (at least until there is a deal or 2) here is where I see them. I don’t have any notes on the rookie camp goalies as I wasn’t sure who they all were.

1A: Rowat
1B: Bosch
3: Tendler
4: Ketlo

Linden Rowat (1989): After a rough first 4 minutes in the first “vet” scrimmage he has rebounded and appears to have all the confidence in the world. I really can’t say if he has improved too much but he played extremely well and made numerous great saves.

Jeff Bosch (1990): Has had an outstanding camp so far. It took until almost the end of the 3rd scrimmage to finally break the goose egg he had going and it looked like it was on a 3rd or 4th rebound. Been amazingly poised and has shown his great glove hand on numerous occasions. Still isn’t a great puck handling goalie but is getting better.

Derek Tendler (1992): Has outplayed Ketlo by miles in camp. Looks like a veteran goalie battling for a job. Has a tendency to go into the butterfly early and leaves the top shelf open but has an above average glove hand and can usually snag the top shelf shots. Is probably the Pats best puck handling goalie but tends to get him in trouble by wandering.

Damien Ketlo (1991): I was expecting to see a battle between him and Tendler for the “pivotal” 3rd stringer job but in my opinion has been a real disappointment in camp. Has good angle coverage and seems to be really quick. Has let in some extremely weak (and I mean weak) goals. But he has to be given credit as he continues to battle.

nivek_wahs
08-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Defense

Well... as for the defense I was starting to have concerns when Bartley was having pro aspirations (I don’t blame him), but with him back on the blue line I think that the Pats have nothing to worry about. Teubert, Delahey, Kulchar, Pym and Jackson return and give the D some stability. With the 6 returning d there may only be room for 2 rookies on the blue line.... left to battle for the spots are Byron Sorenson, Travis Sparrow, Koltyn Miller, Justin Slobozian and Jeff Dort. In my opinion Slobozian and Miller have the “inside track” on those final 2 spots. This is all taking into account Logan Pyett going Pro.... and if for some unforeseen miracle of him coming back my list is as follows.

1: Bartley
2: Teubert
3: Delahey
4: Kulchar
5: Pym
6: Jackson
7: Slobozian
8: Miller
9: Sorenson
10: Sparrow
11: Dort

Victor Bartley (1988): Has had an impressive camp. He’s been all over the ice and creating chances. I never realized how fast he actually is.... he’s no bullet but man he can skate. He’s definitely the Pats #1 d-man.

Colten Teubert (1990): Appears to have gained some bulk and is using it to his advantage. He’s been banging and crashing the whole camp. He’s still a bit of a wanderer out on the ice and has been pinching a lot (almost too much) and has been caught up ice a bit.

Matt Delahey (1989): For some reason is now wearing #44 (I know it’s camp but it’s intriguing... I think the last #44 we had was David Lylyk). Matt seems to have also put on some bulk and might have gained an inch or so in height. He’s been steady on the blueline. Still a true stay-at-home d-man.

Curtis Kulchar (1990): Must be doing something right as I never noticed any glaring mistakes. Has taken big strides with his play in the defensive zone. I don’t see him becoming a point producing d-man, will still be a top tier shut down d-man before long.

Alex Pym (1991): In all honesty he is almost a wash with Kulchar in most aspects except for physicality. It appeared as though he gained some mass and from what I heard his mom say... he gained some 25 pounds since last year (and is now around 205). I still don’t know what he will be.... offensive or defensive.... I think with time he will be a point producing d-man; will see this year.

Dallas Jackson (1989): I can’t get a very good read on Jackson.... one shift he looks like he is a veteran d-man that has the potential to rack up some big points on the blueline.... the next shift.... ouch.... Looks like he is skating in mud trying to figure out what’s happening on the ice. I still have high hopes for him.

Justin Slobozian (1992): Fairly small and speedy. He is actually very good in the defensive zone. He seems to know when to pinch and when not to pinch. I see a true point producing defenseman in the future for Justin. For being such a small-ish body has a very good shot.

Koltyn Miller (1991): Pretty much like Slobozian. Fairly small (doesn’t seem like he’s 6-1) and speedy. He’s very good defensively. The difference between him and Slobozian is that Miller will be more of the stay-at-home type of d-man (would be a perfect future D pair partner with Slobozian).

Byron Sorenson (1991): Yet another fairly small d-man that seems to be all about the defense. Could very well surprise and make this squad.

Travis Sparrow (1991): Fairly large d-man that wasn’t overly impressive. Not to say that he isn’t good or anything but I noticed him lost in the play at points. All in all he is a decent defensive presence but isn’t overly physical.

Jeff Dort (1990): I don’t have Dort rated very high as I seriously don’t see him making the team. At 5-9 or so and built like a truck he’s decent in his own zone and is not afraid to get physical. He reminds me of former Pat Gerad Adams in terms of play.

nivek_wahs
08-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Forwards

I’m really glad I’m not picking the team this year as there will be (or should I say is) tough decisions. So much so I will rate Jordan Eberle as our top forward by far; some others have looked really good. Jordan Weal is super fast and super-skilled, MacAngus bangs and crashes like his normal self, Spencer Braaten would be an amazing addition to the Pats (if he stays), Clark Breitkreuz has been really impressive in both ends of the ice, Dominick Favreau has improved his game and could very well be a Pat, Kyle Mulder should have made the team last year and very well should be on the team this year, Garrett Mitchell has improved in strides (faster and hits harder and has a nasty shot). There are many others, here are notes on all of them (alphabetical):

Spencer Braaten (1990): Deceptively fast and is a sneaky stick handler. Has some serious offensive skills but is also very defensively responsible. Small in stature but plays big and is not afraid to take punishment in front of the net. I really hope he stays in Regina.

Clarke Breitkreuz (1991): I wasn’t sure what to expect from Breitkreuz... Hasn’t been overly exciting; but skates hard and is very good in both ends of the rink. Would have a good season if he was to make the team.

Ryan DePape (1988): Has had a decent camp – scoring-wise – but hasn’t improved his skating. Has looked sluggish at times but capitalizes on his many opportunities. I think he’s one of the odd-men-out.

Scott Doucet (1988): Has been playing many a shift with new Import Tomas Hrcina and there seems to be a somewhat of a connection between the two. Doucet has hardly lost any faceoffs in the scrimmages; either he’s that good or everyone else just has trouble winning faceoffs. I think he’s an OA this year.

Jordan Eberle (1990): Best player in camp. Now wearing #7 at least for camp. Either he has gotten faster or I just didn’t realize how fast he is. Playing some centre (with MacAngus and DePape) and looking pretty impressive all around. Could be a 50 goal season.

Josh Elder (1988): Pretty much the same as last year. Big and slow and has hands of stone when it comes to scoring. Not going to be a Pat for much longer in my opinion.

Dominick Favreau (1992): Has improved greatly since last year’s camp. Small and speedy. Not afraid to hit or be hit. Has some extremely good offensive skills. Could very well be a Pat this year.

Chad Filateau (1989): Reminds me a lot of Kirt Hill in terms of skill set. Decent defensively but would be more of a role player.... penalty killer type player.

Drew George (1991): Not overly impressive in any of the scrimmages but is pretty fast (and can take a check). Scored 2 empty net goals in the one scrimmage.

Cody Hanson (1990): Trying to hit everyone and everything in sight. Trying to crash and bang his way onto the Pats. I do have a few forwards ahead of him on the depth chart so I think he might be in tough to get a spot.

Kirt Hill (1988): I would love to see Hill make the team. He has the work ethic, the speed and the defensive skill to be the team top checker but as an OA I think he’s in tough to make the team (I would hate to be the ones making decisions). If he isn’t a Pat this year he will land on his feet somewhere.

Graham Hood (1992): Has gotten waaaay bigger and his skill has yet to catch up to his size. Has been crashing and banging but just doesn’t seem to be there yet. Has gotten better in the last couple days; but won’t make the team.

Tomas Hricina (1990): Has been pretty good in camp. Can’t really say too much but has an amazing shot and is a great puck handler. Can take a hit (thank goodness).

Todd Kennedy (1990): Big and crashing power forward. About the same as last year.... good 4th line crasher.

Brett Leffler (1989): Hopefully he can keep healthy.... er get healthy. Good bang and crasher. If he wasn’t such a health concern I think he would be the Pats’ captain.

Michael MacAngus (1988): Top line left winger. Eberle’s “left hand man” will make the team as an OA. Could and should have 20-30 goals this year.

Matt Marantz (1991): Yet another one of the Pats small skilled speedy forward. I think he will e in tough to make the team but has looked really good in the scrimmages I have seen.

Kenton Miller (1991): Has had another good camp. Could easily be a Pats penalty killer/4th line player and would be extremely at that role.

Garrett Mitchell (1991): Has been flying around in the scrimmages and hitting everything. In Sunday’s scrimmage someone roughed him up along the side boards which led to a scrap.... Mitchell tuned him in (the guys has been re-assigned).

Kyle Mulder (1991): I have liked this kid for 2 years now and I really hope he makes the team. He’s not flashy or overly great at one thing.... but very good at all aspects of the game.

Andrew Rieder (1992): Haven’t been overly impressed with him, but I think he has been out of his element against the bigger older guys. He is a good skater but seems to shy away from the contact. Another year playing midget will get him ready for next year’s camp.

Brent Struble (1991): Yet another small-ish skilled forward in the Pats system could very well make the team. He’s got an over abundance of speed and that can be a huge asset.

Matt Strueby (1989): I think his skill set has peaked. Just needs to be able to finish and he will be set. I like his willingness to compete and has even been hitting (a lot). Probably the Pats’ second line center.

Jordan Weal (1992): If anyone came close to being in the same galaxy as Jordan Eberle it’s this guy. He has gained some much needed weight (up to 169 I read somewhere). I have to say that this kid is probably one of the fastest skaters I have seen wear a Pats uniform in a long time. His skill set is up there with Eberle and has a howitzer for a shot. I will even say this.... Weal is better than Eberle was at 16.

witness
08-25-2008, 01:50 PM
With only four 19 year olds returning, the Pats are going to be a young team. I wonder how many 16's they will take. My guess is 3. Weal and Favreau, in my mind, are a given. I am also guessing that the 3rd will be a forward (enough depth at 17's on d).

Braaten will make this team. I can state that boldly. Lots of talent, fits into that 18 year old slot that the Pats badly need. And, Parker did everything but kiss the kid's grandmother to get him to sign with the Pats in the spring.

Mulder will also make this team. His improvement is the reason the Pats were able to trade away Brett Miller (1st rounder) last year. Mulder is a character guy and will do anything the team asks. Has an offensive upside, but is very responsible in the defensive end. I was surprised he didn't make the team last year, I thought he had a better camp than Strueby or Mitchell.

My interest is in Miller, Sorenson & Sparrow on defense (I don't think that Jackson is going to make the team, maybe at forward..). Marantz, Hood, D. Eberle & Daniels on forward.

This is going to be a reloading year for the Pats. But, I think they will be more than competitive. Given a few in season trades, they are going to have a terrific team next year.

nivek_wahs
08-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Braaten will make this team. I can state that boldly. Lots of talent, fits into that 18 year old slot that the Pats badly need. And, Parker did everything but kiss the kid's grandmother to get him to sign with the Pats in the spring.I think he's a great talent.... I just hope he decides to stay. I know he has "signed" but until he plays that first exhibition game I will have the question "will he stay or will he go?"

sbtatter
08-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Really enjoying your updates, I think you guys might do a Brandon and even though it's a "reloading" year you will do well play over .500.....

nivek_wahs
08-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Pats Camp Roster
(as of August 24)

Goaltenders (7)
Jeff Bosch 6’1 175 18 Martensville
Dawson Guhle 5’11 160 16 Daysland, AB (R)
Damien Ketlo 6’0 170 17 Fort Fraser, B.C.
Cory Nygaard 5’11 150 15 Winnipeg (R)
Linden Rowat 6’2 181 19 Cochrane, AB
Derek Tendler 5’11 215 16 Regina
Austin Vargo 5’10 160 16 Kipling (R)

Defencemen (16)
Victor Bartley 6’1 205 20 Maple Ridge, B.C.
Myles Bell 6’0 185 15 Calgary (R)
Tyler Borstmayer 6’3 187 15 St. Brieux (R)
Matt Delahey 6’3 214 19 Moose Jaw
Jeff Dort 5’9 190 18 Medicine Hat
Shamus Graham 5’10 160 16 Fort Sask, AB (R)
Dallas Jackson 6’2 188 19 Edson, AB (injured)
Curtis Kulchar 6’1 185 18 Martensville
Koltyn Miller 6’1 170 17 Redvers
Tyler Pavkovich 5’11 185 15 Abbotsford, B.C. (R)
Logan Pyett 5’11 198 20 Balgonie
Alex Pym 6’1 180 17 Winnipeg
Justin Slobozian 5’11 175 16 Dauphin, MB
Byron Sorenson 5’10 180 17 Kyle (injured)
Travis Sparrow 6’3 190 17 Vanscoy
Colten Teubert 6’4 181 18 White Rock, B.C.

Forwards (33)
Ryan Baskerville 6’1 165 15 Edmonton (R)
Spencer Braaten 5’8 170 18 Saskatoon
Clarke Breitkreuz 5’11 160 17 Springside
Rudolf Cerveny 6’0 180 19 Budejovice, Czech
Jordan Daniels 6’4 185 16 Leask (R)
Ryan DePape 6’2 214 20 Winnipeg
James Dobni 6’1 160 16 Onoway, AB (R)
Scott Doucet 6’0 200 20 Coquitlam, B.C.
Dustin Eberle 5’7 150 16 Calgary (R)
Jordan Eberle 5’11 170 18 Regina
Josh Elder 6’5 214 20 Saskatoon (injured)
Dominick Favreau 5’9 170 16 Martensville
Chad Filateau 5’10 175 19 Regina (injured)
Lucas Froese 5’11 165 16 Grunthal, MB (R)
Drew George 5’11 170 17 Regina
Cody Hanson 6’0 175 18 Regina
Kirt Hill 5’11 175 20 Winnipeg
Graham Hood 6’2 200 16 Martensville
Thomas Hricina 6’2 198 18 Kosice, Slovakia
Todd Kennedy 6’3 205 18 Kamloops
Brett Leffler 6’1 197 19 Wynyard (injured)
Michael MacAngus 6’1 193 20 Saskatoon
Matt Marantz 5’11 165 17 Calgary
Kenton Miller 5’11 170 17 Redvers
Garrett Mitchell 5’11 175 17 Regina
Kyle Mulder 6’0 175 17 Winnipeg
Dayton Reinboldt 5’11 170 15 Fox Valley (R)
Andrew Rieder 5’11 164 16 Regina (injured)
Dyson Stevenson 5’11 140 15 Shaunavon (R)
Riley Storzuk 5’11 180 16 Wynyard (R)
Brent Struble 5’11 165 17 Wawota
Matt Strueby 6’1 175 19 Regina
Jordan Weal 5’8 148 16 North Vancouver

Notes:
(R) – Rookie Camp invitee
(injured) - Injured

nivek_wahs
08-25-2008, 11:00 PM
From Greg Harder's Slap Shots... http://communities.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/blogs/slapshots/default.aspx

Pats Camp Day 5

The Regina Pats wrapped up Day 5 of training camp with their final scrimmage prior to Tuesday's Blue & White intrasquad game (7 p.m., Lumsden Arena).
Rookie hopeful Spencer Braaten scored twice, leading Team Blue to a 3-1 win over Team White. Dominick Favreau had one goal while Jordan Weal added two assists. Tyler Pavkovich replied for Team White.
Following the scrimmage, the Pats reassigned eight players: D Shamus Graham (Fort Sask., Alta., midget AAA), RW Ryan Baskerville (Edmonton midget AAA), C James Dobni (St. Albert, Alta., midget AAA), C Dayton Reinboldt (Swift Current midget AAA), C Dyson Stevenson (Moose Jaw midget AAA), G Dawson Guhle (Sherwood Park, Alta., midget AAA), G Cory Nygaard (Manitoba midget AAA) and G Austin Vargo (Saskatoon Blazers midget AAA).
That leaves the Pats with 47 players: Four goalies, 14 defencemen and 29 forwards. A handful of veterans are expected to sit out the Blue & White game. One of them is tough guy Josh Elder, who's awaiting further tests on the injured knee that sidelined him late last season.
The only other injury of note is rookie D Byron Sorenson, who may be forced to miss some time due to a cracked thumb. That could damage his hopes of landing a spot as Regina's seventh or eighth defencemen.

nivek_wahs
08-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Pats Camp Roster
(as of August 25)

Goaltenders (4)

Defencemen (14)
Myles Bell 6’0 185 15 Calgary (R)
Tyler Borstmayer 6’3 187 15 St. Brieux (R)
Dallas Jackson 6’2 188 19 Edson, AB (injured)
Tyler Pavkovich 5’11 185 15 Abbotsford, B.C. (R)
Byron Sorenson 5’10 180 17 Kyle (injured)

Forwards (29)
Spencer Braaten 5’8 170 18 Saskatoon
Jordan Daniels 6’4 185 16 Leask (R)
Dustin Eberle 5’7 150 16 Calgary (R)
Josh Elder 6’5 214 20 Saskatoon (injured)
Chad Filateau 5’10 175 19 Regina (injured)
Lucas Froese 5’11 165 16 Grunthal, MB (R)
Drew George 5’11 170 17 Regina
Brett Leffler 6’1 197 19 Wynyard (injured)
Matt Marantz 5’11 165 17 Calgary
Kenton Miller 5’11 170 17 Redvers
Andrew Rieder 5’11 164 16 Regina (injured)
Riley Storzuk 5’11 180 16 Wynyard (R)
Brent Struble 5’11 165 17 Wawota

Pro

Notes:
(R) – Rookie Camp invitee
(injured) - Injured

nivek_wahs
08-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Blue vs. White
Game Rosters
(tentative)

Team Blue

Goalies
31 Damien Ketlo
33 Linden Rowat

Defencemen
2 Justin Slobozian
3 Koltyn Miller
4 Alex Pym
5 Curtis Kulchar
6 Tyler Borstmayer
20 Colten Teubert

Forwards
11 Graham Hood
15 Kyle Mulder
18 Clarke Breitkreuz
19 Ryan DePape
21 Kirt Hill
22 Tomas Hricina
25 Todd Kennedy
26 Dominick Favreau
27 Kenton Miller
28 Andrew Rieder
29 Lucas Froese
34 Jordan Weal

Team White

Goalies
30 Derek Tendler
35 Jeff Bosch

Defencemen
2 Travis Sparrow
3 Tyler Pavkovich
4 Jeff Dort
5 Myles Bell
6 Victor Bartley
44 Matt Delahey

Forwards
7 Jordan Eberle
10 Scott Doucet
11 Matt Marantz
22 Brent Struble
23 Cody Hanson
24 Riley Storzuk
25 Jordan Daniels
26 Drew George
28 Mike MacAngus
29 Matt Strueby
34 Dustin Eberle
36 Chad Filteau
38 Spencer Braaten

nivek_wahs
08-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Greg Harder posted the Blue & White Summary on his blog (saves me typing it out)

Blue & White

Here's a scaled-down summary from the Pats' Blue & White intrasquad game on Tuesday in Lumsden:

First Period
1. White, Doucet (Eberle) 11:37

Penalties — Kennedy Blue, Daniels White (fighting) 2:39, Pavkovich White (hooking) 6:49, Filteau White (hooking) 14:34, Hricina Blue (hooking) 17:30, Hill Blue (roughing, fighting), Doucet White (fighting) 19:37.

Second Period
2. Blue, Mulder (Pym) 15:23

Penalties — Delahey White (kneeing) 1:05, Slobozian Blue (hooking) 3:58, Braaten White (hooking) 7:25, Pym Blue (tripping) 9:55, Slobozian Blue (hooking) 10:20.

Third period
3. White, George 1:30
4. Blue, Breitkreuz 12:03
5. White, MacAngus (Doucet, Bartley) 13:14 (pp)
6. White, Doucet (MacAngus, Eberle) 17:08

Penalties — Struble White (holding) 2:50, Delahey White (hooking) 4:11, Slobozian Blue (roughing) 8:20, Borstmayer Blue (tripping) 12:38.

Shots
Blue 32
White 33

Goal — Blue: Ketlo (11-10) and Rowat (9:30 second) (22-19); White: Tendler (16-16) and Bosch (9:30 second) (16-14).

Power play (goals-chances) — Blue: 0-7; White: 1-6.

nivek_wahs
08-27-2008, 11:41 PM
From Greg Harder's Slap Shots....

Blue & White

Veteran centre Scott Doucet had two goals and one assist, leading Team White to a 4-2 win over Team Blue in the Regina Pats' annual intrasquad game in Lumsden on Tuesday.
Veteran Michael MacAngus and walk-on Drew George had the other goals. Rookie hopefuls Clarke Breitkreuz and Kyle Mulder replied for Team Blue.
Derek Tendler stopped all 16 shots he faced for Team White while Jeff Bosch played the other half of the game, making 14 saves on 16 shots.
Damien Ketlo started for Team Blue, stopping 10 of 11. Linden Rowat was the busiest of the four, allowing three goals on 22 shots.
It was a typical intrasquad game, with not much to write home about, but there were a few noteworthy developments.
1. Tendler, who's only 16, is putting some serious the heat on the other three goalies.
2. Doucet, MacAngus and Jordan Eberle (two assists) showed some early magic as a line, combining for seven points.
3. Kirt Hill's chances of landing a 20-year-old spot were damaged when he suffered a suspected broken thumb in a fight with Doucet late in the first period. Doucet and Hill, both centres, are in direct competition for an overage spot.
4. The only other fight saw rookie Jordan Daniels land some good licks on veteran Todd Kennedy.
5. Rookie sensation Jordan Weal showed flashes of his enormous potential. He was stoned twice by Tendler and looked dangerous every time he touched the puck.
6. Spencer Braaten, an 18-year-old rookie who was among the top scorers in the Saskatchewan Midget AAA league last season, is like Weal in the sense that he's very small but has excellent skill. The same goes for Dominick Favreau, Regina's first-round pick in the 2007 bantam draft. He and Braaten were both held off the scoresheet but fired shots off the post.
7. The Pats announced the following cuts after Tuesday’s game: D Tyler Pavkovich (Fraser Valley, B.C., midget AAA), F Matt Marantz (Calgary Royals midget AAA), F Brent Struble (Regina midget AAA), F Riley Storzuk (Yorkton, SJHL), F Jordan Daniels (Regina midget AAA), F Dustin Eberle (Notre Dame midget AAA), F Chad Filteau (Estevan SJHL), F Kenton Miller (Regina midget AAA) and F Lucas Froese (Notre Dame midget AAA).

nivek_wahs
08-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Also reassigned was D Byron Sorenson to Saskatoon Blazers SMAAAHL

nivek_wahs
08-27-2008, 11:45 PM
So the roster is now:

Pats Camp Roster
(as of August 28)

Goaltenders

Defencemen
Myles Bell 6’0 185 15 Calgary
Tyler Borstmayer 6’3 187 15 St. Brieux
Dallas Jackson 6’2 188 19 Edson, AB

Forwards
Josh Elder 6’5 214 20 Saskatoon
Brett Leffler 6’1 197 19 Wynyard
Andrew Rieder 5’11 164 16 Regina

Pro

nivek_wahs
08-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Another from Greg Harder.... http://communities.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/blogs/slapshots/archive/2008/08/27/pats-camp-update.aspx

Pats camp update

Here are a few tidbits from Regina Pats training camp on Wednesday:
— C Kirt Hill underwent surgery in the afternoon to repair a severely broken thumb and is expected to miss two months. That creates a huge dilemma for the Pats, who would like to keep Hill but are handcuffed by the overage quota (Michael MacAngus, Victor Bartley and Scott Doucet are the clear favourites to land the three 20-year-old spots). If the Pats do indeed pursue a trade for Hill, it’ll be tough to consummate while he’s hurt. GM Brent Parker is in the process of exploring his options, one of which could be to place Hill on the 60-day injured list. That would allow Regina to retain his rights beyond the Oct. 16 overage deadline. Still, his value on the trade market may fall while he’s hurt. On the flip side, something could happen over that time (like another injury or a trade) that allows the Pats to keep him.
— Sticking with the dilemma department, rookie Spencer Braaten, a top scorer in the Saskatchewan midget AAA ranks last season, is undecided on whether he'll play any exhibition games this weekend because he'd lose a year of NCAA eligibility. As a result, Braaten is apparently looking for some assurance that he'll be on the Pats' roster this season. The team isn't prepared to do that until it sees what the diminutive but skilled forward can do in a live game. Stay tuned.
— The Pats officially announced Wednesday that D Myles Bell, their first-round pick (17th overall) in the 2008 bantam draft, has inked a WHL contract. The signing was first reported in Tuesday’s Leader-Post. The Pats are also close to reaching terms with their second-round pick, D Tyler Borstmayer, whose contract is expected to be announced in time for him to make the trip to Edmonton.
— Veteran RW Brett Leffler (groin) was back on the ice Wednesday after missing the Blue & White game.
— Watch for the Pats to make one or two more cuts before heading to Edmonton. The roster currently stands at 47, which includes Hill and LW Rudolf Cerveny, who's attending a tryout camp with the Czech world junior team. He's slated to return next week.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-28-2008, 12:42 AM
Eh, he will stay.

From his point of view, he is an 18 year old kid looking to play in a more competitive league than midget. He thinks that if he doesnt make this team that he should have a "second plan", and if he doesnt, by playing an EX game he forfeits NCAA eligibility, and is screwed. My bet is that he will eventually just choose the pats, probably because the NCAA hasnt made an offer for his services...at least it hasnt been made public though those type of things usually are when its an issue like this. Seeing as how nothing as been written in stone.

But he is probably a shoe in for the team anyways. Could maybe play a top 6 role this year, because this kid is really skilled, and because of our lack of offensive depth.

The coaches arent going to say that he will be guarenteed a spot straight up, but he is one of the standouts out of all the hopefuls, and is likely to make the team. It also helps that the dub is closer to home, and that the pats got a good team competing this year, so its not like a portland situation that deters players.

Oh, and the dub is a better league anyways. Better options for education, and also a better league for players looking to ahve a career in pro hockey because its more similar to pro than the "game per week" NCAA.

Though if he thinks that he can secure a spot on the team by threatening to hold out on us, the pats will have none of that. His spot would go to a guy who actually wants to play for the team, not a guy who is iffy about it. Some guys would give their left nut to make the team like Braaten probably will. And the pats are looking for a winning team this year.

That probably isnt the case with him, but he shouldnt expect the team to wait too long for him.

In summary, I think he will eventually pick the pats because he is running out of time for this sort of thing, and the pats look to be a good option.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-28-2008, 01:10 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/features/reginapats/story.html?id=4cf1e3a4-c467-411f-b04f-8d6290364ba8

Will he stay or will he go?

That's the dilemma facing rookie Spencer Braaten, who needs to make a decision on his future before he can play in this weekend's preseason tournament in Edmonton. The 18-year-old forward, an undrafted list pickup, is apparently hesitant to dress in an exhibition game because he would lose a year of NCAA eligibility.

"This is nothing surprising to us," explained Parker. "We thought we would have to do a little work in terms of whether or not he would play without a full-fledged commitment. That's fair. The family has been upfront all along. It's a non-issue from our end. It's just them making a determination on what they want to do and us deciding if we want to make that commitment before seeing him in some games. It's a bit of a dilemma but we've gone through a few things with them and I think we're getting closer to making a decision."

The Pats are intrigued by the potential of Braaten, a 5-foot-8, 170-pounder who was among the leading scorers in the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League last season with 31 goals and 79 points in 43 games. The Pats worked hard to recruit Braaten for camp, but they're reluctant to bet the farm on a player before they see him against live WHL competition.

"So much has changed because of the NCAA situation," said Parker.

"I've always felt they should let these kids play exhibition games without it affecting anything because it's really unfair to the kids. This way they get an opportunity to try out. If it works, great. If it doesn't, at least they tried, had the chance and it doesn't affect their eligibility and they can move on. Unfortunately that's not the way it works. Now kids want guarantees before you've really had an opportunity to see them with the bullets flying. We really need to see (Braaten). Do I think he's capable of playing here? Yes I do. But it all has to fit together for them as a family and for us as well."

sbtatter
08-28-2008, 06:22 AM
Is Dustin Eberle related to your poacher Eberle?
And I agree, it's unfortunate that exhibition games causes loss of NCAA eligibility, our best player at camp last year was Rylan Schwartz and of course he was unable to play in exhibition games...

nivek_wahs
08-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Is Dustin Eberle related to your poacher Eberle?Dustin is Jordan's little brother.

CJSenterprise4
08-28-2008, 10:32 AM
He wsas going to be cut anyways so the injury doesn't really matter. They were going to keep Bartley and MacAngus and then Doucet is a better scorer, way better face-off man(which is important) and all around better player than hill who was just an energy guy who last year didn't even bring that much energy near the end of the year. So when it came down to it he probably would have been looking at the door anyways. If they were trying to trade him though that injury really hurts those chances

bladesruke
08-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Why no talk about DePape ?

Fight Guy
08-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Because he falls behind Doucet, MacAngus, Bartley, and Hill.

bladesruke
08-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Well you would think Depape could offer a team in the league something, he seems like he could be a decent power foward.

nivek_wahs
08-28-2008, 04:17 PM
If he was to find his scoring touch.... he could easily land a gig somewhere.... but that being said it's a big IF.

bladesruke
08-28-2008, 04:49 PM
The Blades could use him as there third 20 he could be on a line with Hulak and Kytnar, and take Gillies spot. As it looks like the minnesota wild are gonna give him every opertunity to make the wild so Depape might be a good fit on that line.... He just worries me, im not so sure if Depape can bring it very night or not .

patsdude114
08-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Id like to see Parker put Hill on the 60 day injury list.... who knows if Doucet or MacAngus get a more serious injury at least this way u got a 20 yr old to fall back on who knows the guys and fits in well. I think it would be a very smart move by Parker. If Hill becomes healthy without no key injuries to any 20 yr olds can always move him later (when 60 day injury is up) sure you still wont get much for him but really, what does Parker think he can get for Hill now anyways that hes hurt. I see it as a very low risk move, which could (baring injury) help if something was to happen. Hill is a leader on this team midas well use the rules to your advantage.

Everette did it last season with Reekie, he was in a 20 year old battle and got hurt, so Everette placed him on there 60 day injury list, when it was up they still didnt have room for him and he went and played in the USHL (i believe in michigan)

nivek_wahs
08-28-2008, 10:12 PM
From Greg Harder..... http://communities.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/blogs/slapshots/archive/2008/08/28/bye-bye-braaten.aspx

Bye Bye Braaten

Spencer Braaten has left the Regina Pats and is expected to pursue his options south of the border. The 18-year-old forward, an undrafted list pickup, had been seeking a guaranteed spot with the Pats if he was going to agree to play any exhibition games. The Pats, however, weren't prepared to make a commitment to Braaten without evaluating him in preseason action.
Braaten would have lost a year of NCAA eligibility by playing an exhibition game. He's likely to spend this season in the junior A ranks. The SJHL's Humboldt Broncos hold his rights.
It's worth noting that Braaten left the Pats on good terms. In fact, GM Brent Parker blames the NCAA rules, not Braaten, for the impasse. The full story appears in Friday's Leader-Post.
Meanwhile, Braaten's loss appears to be Dominick Favreau's gain. The 16-year-old, Regina's first-round pick (13th overall) in 2007, is now a clear favourite to become the team's fourth-line centre.
In other news, the Pats trimmed their roster to 35 (including injured players Kirt Hill and Josh Elder) on Thursday by assigning RW Drew George, 17, to the midget AAA Notre Dame Hounds. The Pats are interested in placing the Regina product on their 50-player protected list, but they have some reshuffling to do before making that happen. George was among the more pleasant surprises in training camp, capping it off with a goal in Tuesday’s Blue & White game.

nivek_wahs
08-29-2008, 08:43 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=85e7ff55-b1c3-40b7-a843-1a8db91e650d

Braaten headed south

Greg Harder
The Leader-Post

Friday, August 29, 2008

Spencer Braaten has elected to part company with the Regina Pats.

The 18-year-old forward was unable to agree to terms on a WHL contract, so he left the team on Thursday and is now expected to explore his options south of the border.

Braaten had been with Regina since the start of training camp, but the sides reached an impasse regarding his status for this weekend's preseason tournament in Edmonton.

If Braaten had dressed for an exhibition game, he would have lost a year of NCAA eligibility.

Therefore, he was seeking some guarantees from the Pats, who weren't prepared to meet those conditions until they could evaluate him in a live WHL environment.

"The NCAA rules don't allow a kid to explore his options," lamented GM Brent Parker. "It's a shame because it's really punishing the kid by not giving him an opportunity to see if he can play at the top level (of junior hockey). Instead they have to settle for playing at a secondary level."

The Pats put considerable effort into recruiting Braaten and convincing him to attend training camp. The 5-foot-8, 170-pounder, an undrafted list pickup, caught the team's eye last season when he was among the leading scorers in the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League with 31 goals and 79 points in 43 games.

"We wanted him to stay," added Parker. "I really like the kid. I think he would have been able to make our team but circumstances dictate otherwise. His family has been very forthright and upfront from the beginning. They had to make a decision and they chose the direction they did."

Braaten is believed to have received some interest from NCAA teams. The Saskatoon product is likely to play junior A this season, perhaps with the SJHL's Humboldt Broncos.

- - -

Slovakian left-winger Tomas Hricina is slowly making himself at home with the Pats.

"He has been good," Parker said of his team's first-round pick (27th overall) in the 2008 CHL import draft.

"Like any of those guys, he's adjusting to life over here. His English is pretty good. It's certainly better than he gives himself credit for. It's just learning to play the North American game."

Parker thinks the process will be aided by left-winger Rudolf Cerveny, who's slated to return next week from a training camp with the Czech world junior team.

However, Hricina is already ahead of the curve in some respects.

"He's more of a power forward who can really shoot the puck," said Parker. "He's a big, strong kid, not afraid to stick his nose in and go to the tough areas. If he's going to beat you, it's not so much dipsy-doodling. He's good along the boards, with good skating ability. I think you'll want to get him with somebody who can get him the puck in a shooting position.

"He's maybe a little bit like Brett Leffler in that respect. That kind of style, but maybe not as physical."

- - -

The Pats are bracing for the likelihood that they'll be starting the season without some -- if not all -- of their NHL draft picks.

"Our season is a little bit earlier and they're starting everything a little later," Parker said of NHL camps.

"We're going to have to move our season back. It's not fair to anybody. A lot of guys aren't going to be back, not just ours."

Defenceman Colten Teubert is slated to be the first to leave, joining the L.A. Kings next Friday. He'll be followed Sept. 10 by goalie Linden Rowat, a fellow Kings' prospect. Leffler (Washington Capitals), Jordan Eberle (Edmonton Oilers) and Matt Delahey (New Jersey Devils) are scheduled to leave two days later.

Given the timeline, Parker isn't holding his breath that they'll be back for the season-opener on Sept. 19 in Brandon.

"Not until I see the whites of their eyes," he said. "Hopefully we will. But the 19th, that's a week. It's not very long. I hope they're all back. It would be a shame if they're gone."

EXTRAS: The Pats trimmed their roster to 35 (including injured players Kirt Hill and Josh Elder) on Thursday by assigning RW Drew George, 17, to the midget AAA Notre Dame Hounds. The Pats are considering placing the Regina product on their 50-player protected list. He was among the more pleasant surprises in training camp, capping it off with a goal in Tuesday's Blue & White game.
© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

nivek_wahs
08-29-2008, 08:44 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=55eee78f-7d1f-4c06-ab66-76cdc1c5b74a

Doucet in line for promotion

Greg Harder
The Leader-Post

Friday, August 29, 2008

Some veteran players view training camp as a nuisance, but Scott Doucet prefers to look at it as an opportunity.

That mindset was evident during the Regina Pats' annual Blue & White game on Tuesday, when Doucet recorded two goals, one assist and a fighting major in Team White's 4-2 victory. Although the intrasquad game is typically a stage for rookies to shine, Doucet felt he had something to offer as well.

"It's a big game for some of these guys," explained the veteran centre. "If they see some of the older guys not working their hardest, they're going to be taking after us. We have to be leaders out there. At the same time, it's training camp. We're trying to get better. I still have that bad taste in my mouth from last season, so it's all part of winning."

With the graduation of Tim Kraus, Doucet is next in line for a promotion to the team's No. 1 centre. He looked right at home Tuesday playing between first-line wingers Michael MacAngus and Jordan Eberle as the trio combined for seven points.

"We were hoping to play together," said Doucet. "We clicked pretty good out there. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come. They're awesome players -- they led our team last year -- so of course I'd like to play with them (again)."

That may happen as early as this weekend during a preseason tournament in Edmonton. The Pats are slated to meet the Medicine Hat Tigers (Saturday), Edmonton Oil Kings (Sunday) and Prince George Cougars (Sunday).

"We have (seven) exhibition games and they're tuners," Doucet noted. "It's hard work (to prepare for the real games). Once the season hits, we have to be in top shape."

That wasn't the case last season when Doucet was acquired by the Pats on New Year's Day.

"When he got here you could tell he wasn't in the condition we'd like our guys to be in," said GM Brent Parker. "I don't know if that was a case of how things were in Red Deer or how his year started or what, but he looks a step quicker. It's always hard when you're coming in in the middle of the year. Now he's starting right from the beginning and he looks a lot more comfortable."

Doucet joined the Pats last season via the Red Deer Rebels, who also sent now-graduated power forward J.D. Watt to Regina in exchange for prospect Brett Miller and veteran forward Cody Gross. Doucet, a former Rebels' captain, finished the season with 17 goals and 34 points in 70 games, then had a strong playoff showing with two goals and four assists in six outings.

The native of Coquitlam, B.C., is expected to be a much bigger part of the team this season, but he also knows there are no guarantees for 20-year-olds. Doucet is one of six overage players battling for six spots, joining MacAngus, defenceman Victor Bartley, centre Kirt Hill, right-winger Ryan DePape and left-winger Josh Elder.

"That's always in my head," said Doucet. "Of course I want to stay here. There's only three spots and there's definitely six capable 20-year-olds who can fill a spot. That's why you have to work your tail off during camp."

Doucet unwittingly eliminated his most-direct competition on Tuesday when he dropped the mitts with Hill during the Blue & White game.

Hill suffered a broken thumb and is expected to miss at least two months.

With one hurdle seemingly removed, the next challenge for Doucet is to continue stepping up his offensive production.

"He has always scored all the way along," said Parker. "He played on some pretty average teams (Red Deer and Prince Albert) prior to coming here and was always able to produce a little bit.

"Hopefully, if you play him with some good players, he's a guy who would be able to contribute offensively. For him to be one of our overagers, that's what we would need him to do."

- - -

More at LEADERPOST.COM

For latest developments on the Regina Pats, go online to Greg Harder's blog,Slap Shots.
© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

nivek_wahs
08-29-2008, 08:46 AM
From Thursday.....http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/features/reginapats/story.html?id=049c62c7-62d7-4fec-99d6-cd8e5dd574b6

Team's mandate coming into focus

Greg Harder
Leader-Post

Thursday, August 28, 2008

LUMSDEN -- Class is in session for the Regina Pats.

With their roster trimmed to a more manageable number (37 players), rookie head coach Dale Derkatch now has an opportunity to go from the role of evaluator to a teacher as well. It'll be an education for both sides as Derkatch gets to know his players and the players get to know him.

"We still have a fair number of guys in camp so we're going to split them up into two groups so we only have about 15 guys on the ice at a time," Derkatch said prior to Wednesday's practice at Lumsden Arena.

"That'll give us an opportunity to work with them and get to know them too. It's nice in a smaller number. When you have too many guys on the ice it's hard to really run a practice and talk to guys and teach."

Derkatch has taken a hands-on approach in recent days after starting camp as more of an observer. With the initial introductions out of the way, the new head coach is ready to get down to business.

"I think guys are getting the drift with me," said Derkatch, a former Pats' star who was hired this summer after Curtis Hunt joined the staff of the Ottawa Senators. "The little details for me are important. I want to see a drill performed correctly, whether it's putting the puck on the tape or whether it's hitting the net with your shots."

There are consequences for not meeting the standards of the new head coach, who has applied some old-school incentive in the form of pushups after certain drills.

While setting an early tone for his players, Derkatch is also implementing some of the basic strategies that will be required this weekend when the Pats play three games at a preseason tournament in Edmonton.

"The systems and all that, we're working on it and piecing things together so guys know what to do," said Derkatch, who has touched on all aspects, including the power play and forechecking schemes.

"We've worked on a fair amount. In every zone of the ice, the guys will have an idea. Hockey is not that complicated. The power-play breakout and the power play, that's where you notice if guys are unorganized. We've worked on that a couple times already and we're going to work on it again today. We've really worked in all areas, so the guys should know what's going on."

Asked for his overall thoughts on training camp thus far, Derkatch said he was "pleased to a point."

"I would like to see the veteran group show a little more intensity at times," he noted. "When the veterans don't go hard and finish their checks, then the young players also follow suit and don't want to upset an older guy. If you think about it, as a veteran guy, what would you want a young guy to do if he made the team? How would you want him to play? You'd want him to finish his checks and play hard. So that should be happening within camp and within practices. I think we'll touch on those things today. We want guys to compete and that's the way you get better."

For Derkatch, it doesn't matter if you're a raw rookie or a seasoned veteran, everyone needs to embrace the basic foundation of a solid team -- work ethic.

And it starts now.

"Guys shouldn't get so complacent to think that because they were on the team last year that they're automatically on the team this year," he said.

"It doesn't work like that. Players will receive icetime based on what they bring to the team. I'm all about giving everyone opportunity, but guys aren't just pencilled in. It doesn't matter what you were on the team the year before or what your name is. It will be based on ability and competitiveness and what you bring to the team. I think that's fair. That's the way I'd want to be treated. If you work hard and perform, you're going to get the icetime."

gharder@leaderpost.canwest.com
© Leader-Post 2008

Gomez
08-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Who is still at Pats camp?

nivek_wahs
08-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Who is still at Pats camp?http://www.whlfans.ca/showpost.php?p=120381&postcount=19