PDA

View Full Version : Both Euros NOT returning!

Tipped Off
08-24-2008, 06:23 PM
From the everett herald
http://www.heraldnet.com/section/BLOG12

Problems for the Tips. It looks as though Everett's two veteran European forwards, Vitaly Karamnov and Lukas Vartovnik, are not showing up. Apparently both have decided to play in their home countries this season, Karamnov in Russia and Vartovnik in Slovakia. Both are 19 and were being counted on to play key roles this season, so if it's the case it's a big blow for a Tips team that's already had to deal with heavy turnover from last season.

-------------

General manager Doug Soetaert indeed did confirm that Vitaly Karamnov and Lukas Vartovnik will not be back this season. It seems both committed to coming back, a fact that prompted the Tips to opt out of the import draft, trading their first-round pick. Then Soetaert found out they weren't coming back about a month ago. Needless to say, Soetaert wasn't pleased with the way things came about.

Karamnov is going to play professionally for Dinamo Moscow. Soetaert didn't know at what level Vartovnik is going to play in Slovakia. Soetaert said Karamnov signed his IIHF card earlier in the summer, so that perhaps leaves the door open for him to return midseason should things not work out in Russia, but the Tips aren't holding their breath.

This is a serious blow for the Tips, who already lost from last season their three overagers to graduation, two stars to the pros and their captain to college. Karamnov in particular was slated to be a big part of this year's team, probably as Everett's No. 1 center.

And a Tips team that was already going to be young this season gets even younger.

PLAYER
08-24-2008, 08:10 PM
I know that there are lots of reasons euro players might not return. Visas, better opprotunities closer to home etc etc. But beating a dead horse, I gotta think the departures may have something to do with the coach, there does seem to be an exodus.... And why wouldn't the coach know before now? Wouldn't a coach or scouts keep in touch with their players in the off season? Does anyone know why the Euros are not returning?

vc1tt

Tipped Off
08-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Actually, the post does state that both Euros told the Tips they were coming back...then later decided not to...which wound up screwing the Tips because they traded their 1st Euro pick since they thought they were set.

That being said I can't discount your "coach" theory. What I really think this is proving is that these kids take their hockey seriously. They would much rather have a hard-nosed "disciplinarian" coach like Kevin Constantine than a "players coach" like they have now. He got a little tougher on them as the season went along last year, but I think he'd lost the vets by then.

I guess the good thing for him is he's basically starting with a clean slate. For the most part the players from the KC era will be completely gone and he can build a very young team in his own way.

I'm not sure that is a good thing. I think a few lean years are in order and we'll see what Everett's fan base is made of.

All this being said, I was not an advocate of keeping KC. He did a great job...and I stress great....in the first two years in shaping and molding an under talented team & making them into contenders. That's what his style does for you. Keeps you in a game. In year 3 and definitely even moreso in year 4 he had a lot of talent, but didn't open it up to take advantage and it cost the team. In year five I disagreed with who they hired as his replacement, but I'm keeping an open mind to see how it plays out. I don't think you call for anyone's head after one year. ANY coach needs three seasons. I'll give him two...lol.

PLAYER
08-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Tipped Off, we are on the same page. Except I would only give the coach one more season and start looking for an Asst who can take over.

I got bored with KC"s buzz saw style of defense but for the fan base that didn't understand hockey it was pretty easy to grasp. And that small amount of understanding did wonders for the city of Everett.
Now I would like a team that could make a serious run for the cup!

Redwic
08-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Let's call it the "Fiala Syndrome"...

It's an ailment European hockey players get. The main symptom is telling his respective CHL team that he is a "team player" and going to remain with the team, only to desert the team and decide to be in Europe at the most inopportune time.