PDA

View Full Version : city of Moose Jaw takes big step

wardog fan
08-25-2008, 06:10 PM
the city of moose jaw has won it's courtcase agaisnt a number of tax payers who took the city to court over legal issues over the planned multiplex. the court decided in favor of the city and now the city will move forward on the proposed multiplex.... not sure what more the antiplex crowd can do to stop this , but im sure something will come up , but as of right now the city has hired a management firm to oversee the construction and from my understanding ground will be broke within the coming months... congrats to the city of moose jaw for moving forward in the right direction.

Douglas
08-25-2008, 06:16 PM
good news

wardog fan
08-25-2008, 06:19 PM
The ruling is in favour of the City of Moose Jaw. Justice Justice Guy Chicoine has handed down his decision on the Moose Jaw Multiplex file. You'll remember a group of local citizens was trying to get a second vote on the multi-million dollar project and hired a lawyer to argue the matter in court.

Mayor Dale McBain received the decision late this afternoon. "The Judge has ruled that council did not amend the referendum and he indicated that you have to look at December 12th, 2005 in context and we are going ahead business as usual".

The argument for the group of local citizens was that the motion this past June was an amendment to the original motion we voted on back in 2006 laying out $15 million. The Judge disagreed. We'll have more details Tuesday morning on 800 CHAB-AM, Country 100-100.7FM, and on Mix 103-103.9FM.

wardog fan
08-25-2008, 06:20 PM
The ruling is in. The City of Moose Jaw wins.
Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Guy Chicoine released his ruling on the multiplex amendment referendum case on Monday, siding with the defendant.
“Based on the foregoing analysis, I conclude that City Council’s resolution of June 16, 2008 does not amend the referendum resolution of Nov. 2, 2006,” Chicoine said in his writing ruling.
“The application for an order compelling the City of Moose Jaw to hold a referendum seeking authorization from the electors to increase the City’s financial commitment for the construction of a multiplex facility financed by means of a tax increase — as contemplated in the June 16, 2008 resolution — is dismissed.”
Saskatoon lawyer Doug Hodson, representing the city said the ruling states the city can legally proceed with the multiplex project uninterrupted. As well, the applicants who brought the case against the city forward are now required to pay for a portion of the city’s legal costs from these proceedings.
For more on this story, read Tuesday's Times-Herald.

Hatguy
08-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Good. Now let's talk hockey. :)

Trav
08-25-2008, 07:22 PM
It'll be great when u guys have ur new arena built. Hopefully the small minority opponents will realise that this is a good thing for Moose Jaw and stop trying to ruin it.

scoreboard
08-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Moose Jaw has needed a new rink for a long time.

- When that grush can was build back in 1958, they had a short stay in the Moose Jaw Civic Centre. Due to the new rink not being completely finished, Thursday, January 1, 1959 the club had to move to Weyburn, for the remainder of the season.

- I can remember several good moments in that Civic Center - out of it was my nick name, back in 1965, when Ernie Hicke gave it to me, (smiles) plus my interview with broadcaster Fergie Oliver of CHAB during a second period. Boy, this certainly ages me.

- I can remember when I was in the press box, you could not see the other side of the rink.

- Another was when Ernie Hicke let one of his blistering slap shots go at rookie Goalie Ken Brown. The puck and Brown's catching glove ended up behind him on the ice. From then on, when Hicke ever took a slap shot at him, he would catch the puck. Then carry the puck and glove up over his shoulder letting it end up on top of the goal mesh.

To this day, Hicke has the hardest slap shot in the WHL. I can remember when we were awarded a power play. We had Hicke on the left point. The face off was at the left of the net. The puck was dropped, sent back to Hicke, he took a slap shot. The puck was in the net before the goalie could blink. It took but one second. A record that will never be broken in the WHL.

- I do wish Moose Jaw all the best in their new rink and sooner the better for all in the Western Hockey League. Just think, you celebrated its 50 th. Anniversary this year.