PDA

View Full Version : My observations from camp

SectionNDeserter
08-25-2008, 06:33 PM
First off, I would like to say that the single biggest thing that I noticed at this version of the Red Deer Rebel's training camp was that there was a lot of skill in the '93s, guys like Nugent-Hopkins, Siwak, Pufahl, Bresciani and Lamoureux all showed some nice offensive skills, and in most cases were still quite defensively sound for 15 year olds.

Some of the guys I was impressed with;

Nugent-Hopkins: Pretty hard not to be impressed with this kid. I especially marveled at how well this kid could make tape-to-tape saucer passes. Not scared at all to go to the net either.

Siwak: I believe that while he may not be as offensively gifted as Nugent-Hopkins, I think that he could end up being a more 'complete' player in the WHL. Great skill set, decent size. A steal with the #2 selection so far I think.

Redmond: What made this kid ever dangerous in camp is his anticipation--he reads the play so well. Add to that, he is pretty much physically mature already and just has to continue to get used to playing in the body of a man. He was one of the more chippier players in camp as well, lots of extra shots and slashes behind the play/after the whistle.

Esposito - He was all over the place, throwing big hits, fighting, scoring goals and getting a lot of chances. Probably one of the most pleasant surprises in this camp.

Petrovic: Big hulking defenseman, no matter where the play is this kid always seems to be in the way of the offensive skaters. Should be a very good shut-down defenseman.

Lamoureux: Pretty hard not to be impressed with this kid, he beat a lot of defensemen one-on-one in this training camp, is a decent skater with good hands. If he gets better defensively he could be a keeper.

Lowry and Cowen: Similar size, skill and style of play. They both have the speed and hockey sense to be WHL players I think, and both seem to have a mean streak a mile wide. I would like to see both these guys make the team, but I have a feeling there is only going to be room for one given that they are so similar. I predict that if only one makes the team and the other will and should be traded.

Pufahl: Booming slapshot, possibly one of the hardest shots I saw in camp. Was good positionally, and read the play well in the offensive zone. Excited to see this kid in camp next season.

Bruce: Was a slower version of Lowry and Cowen, worked hard and really liked to get his nose dirty. Could be a good character guy.

Meaver: Looked really good working in heavy traffic in front of the net, and scored a number of goals in scrimmages the first few days.

Woodyatt: Saw some nice things from this guy. A good skater who stayed with his man well, moved the puck out of his zone fast and put the puck on net good and hard when given the opportunity. Could be a little stronger, but I think this guy has a good chance of sticking this year.

Deagle: Good puck moving defenseman, but got caught pinching when he shouldn't have a few times. If he can improve on that, I think this guy has all the physical tools to be a WHL defenseman.

Bresciani: Probably the smallest but most mobile defenseman at camp. Has really good offensive instincts, carries the puck well, stayed with his man well and I don't recall him ever getting beat one-on-one. Needs to get a lot bigger and stronger though.

Scarborough: Wasn't AS impressed with him, but I was impressed that I didn't once see him use that stupid weak backhand off the boards to TRY to clear the zone. Was defensively sound beyond that as well. Should increase his trade value in the eyes of the scouts that were at the camp...

Some of the guys I was looking forward to in camp that didn't cut the mustard;

Tory Willfong: Was in way over his head at this camp, I don't think he even looked as good as he did last year...

Lazowski: Thought he was a terrible skater through the first day, but then he occasionally showed great bursts of speed. In the end, I think that he just wasn't giving 100%.

Gross: Pretty much the same thoughts on him as I had with Lazowski.

Miller: Teased us with some skill and grit, and then would coast for long stretches.

Oak: He was actually a far better skater than I thought he would be, but I think that he probably should have tried to simplify his game a lot more, and just stick to putting as many hits on guys as he could. I also don't think that he looked nearly as big as he was listed at.