PDA

View Full Version : Hectic Summer for Beach

Tipped Off
08-27-2008, 10:32 AM
from heraldnet.com

Hectic summer just a start for Beach

Kyle Beach, who was drafted by the Blackhawks over the offseason, takes off for NHL camp after three weeks of Tips camp.

By Nick Patterson
Herald writer

EVERETT -- Little did Kyle Beach realize that being drafted by the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks would become a family affair -- of sorts.

While attending Blackhawks rookie training camp in early July, Beach's second cousin, major-league pitcher Rich Harden, was traded to the same city, being acquired by the Chicago Cubs.

So expect some sort of family reunion at some point in the Windy City.

"I didn't get to meet up with him, he flew in the day I was flying out," Beach said of Harden. "But I've talked to him and we're going to get together when I get out there in a couple weeks."

It's not surprising Beach, Everett's leading returning scorer with 60 points (27 goals, 33 assists) in 60 games, wasn't able to connect with his cousin. The Everett Silvertips star winger has had quite the whirlwind offseason with nary a moment to catch his breath.

Beach's busy offseason began shortly after Everett's season ended when he underwent surgery to repair a sports hernia in April, a procedure which left him bedridden for two weeks. Then came the NHL draft combine in May followed by the draft itself in June, when the Blackhawks used the 11th-overall pick to select Beach. That was followed by Chicago's rookie camp in July, when Beach took to the ice for the first time since his surgery.

"I felt good," Beach said of his performance at the camp. "I didn't do anything overly impressive, it's not like you could say I was the best player out there. But for being the first time on the ice since my surgery and as out of shape as I felt, I was really happy with it. I'm excited to get back there and show them what I have when I am in shape."

Beach took no chances with reaggravating his injury, taking two full months off from physical activity to heal. It seems to have paid off.

"I feel great as far as the surgery, it's got no problems," Beach said. "Obviously on the ice I'm a bit winded, but I feel good. The bumps weren't bugging me, so I'm perfectly fine going into the season."

At least when -- and if -- it begins for him. Chicago's main training camp starts the same weekend Everett's season begins, meaning Beach won't be with the team when the Tips open the season Sept. 19 at Kamloops. And there's still the possibility Beach will earn a spot with the Blackhawks, meaning he won't come back at all.

"I'm just going in with an open mind," Beach said. "They've been telling me that I have the opportunity and it's mine to lose or mine to take advantage of. I'm going to go in and play with everything I've got. If I have to fight I'm going to fight. I'm going to do everything I can to stay there, but if I end up back here we've got a great young group and I'm excited to work with them."