PDA

View Full Version : Day #1 at WK rookie camp

sbtatter
08-27-2008, 08:06 PM
I was bit underwhelmed with the no hitter black and gold put on this morning, but enjoyed the spirited afair tonight between white and gold. White are the physical team, no doubt. Highlight was Miller levelling Depape, then Depape got up and levelled Miller, 2 strong kids!
Gold, I thought Robidoux was alright, Walker and Depape the good forwards, McKay didn't mind hitting, Wilson skates a little like Reaves out there.
White, Miller was the stand out on defence, Ciarelli, Hall and Sinatynski looked good, both offensively and physically.
Black, Rouse and Stone up front, Swyripa is fast, 2 93's I liked were Olson and Meilleur. Defence, Rock is big but I'm not sure about his mobility.
Hudon and Tait looked good in goal.

What happened to King during the practice?
Where is Erhardt?

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
08-27-2008, 08:16 PM
http://www.wheatkings.com/news_item.aspx?news_id=4465

Brandon, Manitoba -- The opening day of on ice sessions at Brandon Wheat Kings' 2008 Training Camp is in the books, with both of Wednesday's scrimmages decided by a goal.

After defeating the Blacks 4-3 in the morning game, Team Gold suffered a 6-5 loss to the Whites at night.

Winnipeg's Jesse Hall, a seventh round pick of the Wheat Kings in the 2006 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft, scored once and set up two others for the Whites, who battled back from a 4-1 first period deficit Wednesday night with five unanswered goals.

16-year old Jesse Sinatynski of Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta added two goals for the winners while former Winnipeg Wild Paul Ciarelli, who played five games for the Wheat Kings as an affiliate player in 2007-08, scored once and set up another.

Lee Stykel had two goals in a losing cause while linemate Jordan DePape had one goal and an assist. While Stykel was a ninth round pick of the Wheat Kings in the 2007 bantam draft, DePape was Brandon's third pick (61st overall).

In Wednesday's other game, DePape scored what proved to be the game winner as Team Gold kicked opened Rookie Camp with a win. Kajon McKay scored twice for the winners while Cole Brunet had all three goals for the Blacks.

Rookie Camp continues Thursday morning with an 8 o'clock practice for Team Gold, followed by a game at 9:30 between the Blacks and the Whites.

All scrimmages are open to the public.

Serving as coaches during this week's camp at Westman Place are two former Wheat King captains - Tampa Bay Lightning Ryan Craig and former Los Angeles King Marty Murray, who recently signed with the Manchester Monarchs of the American Hockey League.

This week's Training camp will come to an end on Sunday afternoon with the hockey club's annual Intrasquad game, scheduled for 2 p.m.

Joe Hallenback
08-28-2008, 07:58 AM
I hear Miller is the real deal and was by far the best player

Not sure why no Erdhardt maybe he is injured?

brandonboy
08-28-2008, 09:11 AM

Erdhardt had a broken ankle at prospects camp earlyer in the year, could that be what is keeping him out still?

sbtatter
08-28-2008, 11:44 AM

I like Miller a lot. He's not that big, but he's a good hitter, he looks to hit, but he can skate and he's a quick passer but also not afraid to jump into the rush, he'll be here this season I'm sure.
I hear Erdhardt is arriving today, had lacrosse commitments.....

sbtatter
08-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Team Black, Stone, Brunet, Rouse, Olson and Meilleur looked good up front. Rock on defence. No King or Krzyzaniak due to injuries
Team White, Sinatynski, Hall, Ciarelli, Miller on defence. Beardy fought Ritchie!! Only fight of the camp so far
Team gold, Depape, Stykel and Walker as forwards. Robidoux, Fransoo and Ehrhardt on d.
Ehrhardt looks big, looks like he's a keeper.

Out of the 4 defence trying for the 2 spots, I have them rated as follows
Skating, Miller, Robidoux, Ehrhardt, Rock
Hitting, Miller, Ehrhardt, Rock, Robidoux
Offence Robidoux, Miller, Rock, Ehrhdart
Defence Ehrhardt, Robidoux, Miller, Rock

If we figure there are 3 forward spots available, my order so far is
Depape, Ciarelli (if we want a checking player), Sinatynski, Stone, Hall, Brunet, Walker, Rouse

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
08-28-2008, 09:17 PM
How are the goaltenders performing? and who is all there for goaltenders?

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
08-28-2008, 09:19 PM
http://www.wheatkings.com/news_item.aspx?news_id=4466

Brandon, Manitoba -- Brandon Wheat Kings' Rookie camp came to an end Thursday night with three entertaining scrimmage games at Westman Communications Group Place.

Team Black scored a dozen goals in winning back to back games - 6-4 over the Gold in the opener and 6-2 over the Whites in the finale.

16-year old Mark Stone, a fifth round draft choice of the Wheat Kings in the 2007 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft, scored three times to lead the winners in the first game while former Pembina Valley Hawk Cole Brunet fired a pair for the Blacks in the nitecap.

In Thursday night's other scrimmage, Jesse Sinatynski had both goals for Team White as they battled the Gold to a 2-2 tie. The 16-year old Fort Saskatchewan product was Brandon's 13th round selection (281st overall) in last year's bantam draft.

Following Thursday's games, a handful of players were released while a number of others were invited to stay on for the WHL club's Main Camp.

A total of fifty players including 20 veterans will now be split into three teams for Main Camp, which is scheduled to begin Friday morning with an 8 o'clock practice. Scrimmage games will be played at 9:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. on Friday and at 9:30 and 6 p.m. on Saturday.

All scrimmage games are open to the public.

The Wheat Kings' 5-day Training Camp will come to an end on Sunday afternoon with the club's Annual Intrasquad Game. Face-off is at 2 p.m. at Westman Place.

Brandon's first pre-season test comes on Friday, September 5th when the Wheat Kings kick off a home and home exhibition weekend series against the visiting Regina Pats.

Do we know who was released?

sbtatter
08-28-2008, 10:38 PM
How are the goaltenders performing? and who is all there for goaltenders?
Tonight they were Tait (92)
93's
Johnson
Raugust
Michalick
Switzer
Liston

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
08-29-2008, 11:18 AM
According to http://smallatlarge.blogspot.com/ this is who is left at camp.

Brandon Wheat Kings (Main Camp):
Goaltenders (6): Joe Caligiuri (19), Andrew Hayes (18), Graham Hildebrand (17), Jay Hudon (16), Liam Liston (15), Bryan Tait (16)

Defencemen (16): Keith Aulie (19), Cole Cantelo (16), Alexander Grill-Donovan (18), Dallas Ehrhardt (16), Chad Erb (20), Colin Fay (17), Jordan Fransoo (15), Kyle Krzyzaniak (16), Matt McCue (20), Brodie Melnychuk (17), Ryley Miller (16), Bennan Ritchie (16), Colby Robak (18), Stephane Robidoux (17), Brett Rock (17), Brett Young (16)

Forwards (28): Daniel Bartek (20), Kyle Bodnaruk (16), Cole Brunet (17), Matt Calvert (19), Paul Ciarelli (17), Andrew Clark (20), Del Cowan (19), Jordan DePape (16), Jay Fehr (19), Scott Glennie (17), Nathan Green (19), Jordan Hale (18), Jesse Hall (17), Cale Jefferies (19), Sanfred King (18), Wheaton King (16), Aaron Lewadniuk (19), Matt Lowry (20), Kajon McKay (16), Jens Meilleur (15), Brendan Rouse (16), Brayden Schenn (17), Jesse Sinatynski (16), Mark Stone (16), Lee Stykel (16), Jason Swyripa (15), Brendan Walker (16), Klarc Wilson (15)

GlutenGlutton
08-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Interesting..
Trade bait or threat to Lowry?

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
08-29-2008, 02:12 PM
There a reason why Gotovits didn't show up?

Vik
08-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Interesting..
Trade bait or threat to Lowry?
Trade bait. Although it's always good to have some competition around, even for the older guys.

There a reason why Gotovits didn't show up?
Maybe he saw how many good young dmen we have and said screw that.

sbtatter
08-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Where did that 91 d-man Fay come from? Looks big and strong, knocked Schenn down. We will need a few extra d around when Aulie, McCue and Robak go to NHL camp in Sept
Melnychuk looks a lot improved, as does Aulie. Clark got a hatrick, Lowry the winner tonight for gold.
Of the rookies, Depape, Fay, Ciarelli and Miller look good.
McCue looked ready, pretty impressive today.
Tough couple days ahead for Kelly Mac....

sbtatter
08-29-2008, 08:16 PM
http://www.cklq.com/index.php?cmd=TmV3cw==|U3BvcnRz&t=MTI4NTM=

sbtatter
08-30-2008, 08:27 PM
A one sided game, white winning 7 v 2. Caliguri and Hayes let in 2 goals each in 40 minutes, Hildebrand pitched a shutout, Hudon let in 5 goals in 35 minutes.
Scorers for white were Depape (2) Clark, Lewadniuk, Cowan, Robak and Miller. Black got markers from Lowry and Wilson.
Green was very impressive for white, along with Glennie and Depape, Robak and Miller on d were good.
Calvert, Swyrpia were good for black.
Expect the teams to be rejigged to make a more even intrasquad game tomorrow.....