PDA

View Full Version : Blades' goalie battle heats up

bladesruke
08-28-2008, 10:21 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=3d607545-4f96-4b49-9941-72da52a32176

Blades' goalie battle heats up
Krahn, Morrison in mix
Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Thursday, August 28, 2008
ABERDEEN -- Adam Morrison began his hockey career as a playmaking left winger.

Matthew Krahn got his start as a stay-at-home defenceman.

Ultimately, both skaters retreated to the crease and now they're competing for the back-up goaltender job with the Saskatoon Blades.

She's a battle," coach-GM Lorne Molleken said prior to practice Wednesday. "Both of them have had real good camps and the exhibition schedule will dictate an awful lot."

Mollekens plans to use both netminders Sunday when the Blades open their exhibition schedule in Prince Albert (6:30 p.m., Art Hauser Centre).

The battle will go on for several more weeks, though. Incumbent starter Braden Holtby is headed to training camp with the NHL's Washington Capitals and he'll likely miss opening weekend (Sept. 19-20) of the WHL schedule. That means the two 17-year-old understudies will have plenty of chances to prove themselves.

"It'll be up to them," said Molleken. "Adam has gotten a lot stronger and to this point, he's shown lots of confidence. Matt is a real laid-back guy and he's got lots of poise in there also.

"I'm anxious to see how things work out."

Morrison and Krahn find themselves on even footing, but they took different paths to get here.

Saskatoon chose Morrison in the 2006 bantam draft with the 49th overall pick -- a steal, considering the Blades rated him as the best goaltender available. He is a product of B.C.'s Semiahmoo minor hockey system, the same program that developed Blades forward Colton Gillies.

Morrison started playing hockey in Edmonton, but he was nine years old and living in a different province before he tried playing goal.

"I liked the equipment," Morrison said with a grin. "When we moved to B.C., I wanted to try it out and the first game I played, I got a shutout, so it was a good position to stay in."

Krahn, meanwhile, went undrafted as a bantam player. The Winnipeg native wasn't even invited to Manitoba's season-end tournament for elite prospects. The Blades saw potential, though, and added Krahn to their 50-player protected list.

"Our scout in Winnipeg, Russ Kutzak, watched him and liked him," said Molleken. "It turned out to be a good list for us because he was the starting goalie for Team Western (during the under-17 World Hockey Challenge last January) and he had a very successful year."

Krahn finished the season with the Portage Terriers, who won Manitoba's Junior A crown before falling to the Humboldt Broncos in the Anavet Cup.

"I just stuck with it and worked as hard as I could," Krahn said of his circuitous path to the WHL. "Seeing all of the goalies that did get drafted and thinking that I was up to their level, that motivated me and helped me get to where I am."

Both Blade prospects posted strong statistics with their midget AAA teams last season. Krahn was 14-4-0 with a 2.47 goals-against average for the Winnipeg Wild. Morrison had similar numbers (12-6-2, 2.92 GAA) for the Valley West Hawks in B.C.

It would appear the Blades can't go wrong.

"In the end," said Molleken, "it'll be up to them as to who stays and who goes."

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

bladesruke
08-28-2008, 10:23 AM
This is a huge battle, but as from what i have seen so far i would give the nod to Krahn .