PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Moves?

Sammy
04-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Was the biggest problem with the Giants too many trades? Is Bonner really a deal junky? Is Hay really a "my-way-or-highway" old school guy? Did Giantcorp made more roster changes than a Surrey mom with a sick baby, except, in the Giants case, the baby really wasn't sick at the start of the year? Sure, Fistric's loss was horrible. But they began the season with a huge BMW-like import upgrade in NHL drafts Scwartz & Mezeros. Then. Logan was moved. Hayman was moved. Morris was moved. Kassian was moved. Vey was moved. Shoot. Even the N orth Van mountain was moved! Did the Giants play even.500 hockey after the trade deadline? Were the Giants a better team after all these deals?

scamperdog
04-04-2005, 09:20 PM
did Bonner not do the same thing last year to I think he trades to much instead of giving a team a chance to gel, as for Hay look at his track record since he left Kamloops theres nothing to got excited about, the teams he coached here probaly could have one it all without a coach, he comes very overated.

Kassian
04-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Yes there were definitely way too many trades.

I remember a few months back I was curious about the Giants record after the trade deadline (or basically after trading Kassian since that was the deal they made at the deadline). At the time I looked they were 7-14-2 since trading Kassian. And that was near the very end of the season. So it didn't change a whole lot. They were still several games under .500.

Kassian was a favorite in the locker room and a lot of the Giants players weren't happy with him being traded. No surprise he went on to Kamloops and he was wearing an "A" shortly afterwards.

Sput
04-04-2005, 11:46 PM
To look at an intangible, could the way the team is billeted, being so spread out, possibly play into that as well? Distance makes it hard for these guys to do much as a team, and with the trades they never really got to have that time to get to know oneanother as well as they may have? It could be grasping at straws, but it could be one of those things that doesn't get looked at but plays a huge role in how close a team is.

Beaner
04-05-2005, 09:34 AM
I don't think it makes that big a difference Sput. The Guys all go to the same school, and live in the same region/suburb of the lower mainland.

Bonner made a lot trades, the only one that will come back to haunt us is the Kassian deal. If Kassian does what he did last off season, he is going to come back to the loops, bigger, and a much better skater. The Kassian trade is going to be a trade that Bonner has to answer to for the rest of Kassian's career in the Dub, which will probably be a long one. If he had to trade Kassian he should have at least sent him to the other Conference, not to a division rival...

The Vey deal may come back to bite us, but he demanded a trade/quit, so what are you going to do?

I think the thing that has resulted in so many trades in our short little history is 3 coaches in 4 years. Everytime you get a coaching change you get trades as some players don't fit into the new coaches plan etc. Hopefully we get a little stability in that department and Don gets the guys he wants playing for us and then, we can get a little stability in the lineup.

Kassian
04-05-2005, 11:59 AM
If he had to trade Kassian he should have at least sent him to the other Conference, not to a division rival...

Exactly. That is one of the biggest issues I have with this trade. At least if you trade him out east you don't have to play against him 8 times during the season. Now instead of protecting Brule (which he did a good job of doing) he is the one that is going to be hitting Brule. And who on Vancouver is (or can for that matter) do anything about it? Nobody.

The Giants were talking to Saskatoon and they almost worked out a deal to trade Kassian there. But it fell apart at the last minute. The Giants were asking for too much in return. Believe it or not one of the guys mentioned in the deal was Rabbit. It was going to be Kassian and someone else for Rabbit. But unfortunately it fell through. It would've been much better than Cam "I can't score on an empty net" Cunning. :( :mad:

Jovorock
04-05-2005, 12:11 PM
It would've been much better than Cam "I can't score on an empty net" Cunning. :( :mad:
I know the Rockets were in the Cunning hunt, some of the best trades are the ones that don't happen.

Big mistake for the Giants to trade Kassian in there own division, big mistake.

Beaner
04-05-2005, 12:54 PM
The Giants were talking to Saskatoon and they almost worked out a deal to trade Kassian there. But it fell apart at the last minute. The Giants were asking for too much in return. Believe it or not one of the guys mentioned in the deal was Rabbit. It was going to be Kassian and someone else for Rabbit. But unfortunately it fell through. It would've been much better than Cam "I can't score on an empty net" Cunning. :( :mad:

Wow, I hadn't heard that trade rumor before. Rabbit straight up for Kassian might have been worth it on it's own, considering Rabbit is still only a 18yr. old. and a top prospect. Especially since the Giants were looking for more scoring punch.

Kassian
04-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Wow, I hadn't heard that trade rumor before. Rabbit straight up for Kassian might have been worth it on it's own, considering Rabbit is still only a 18yr. old. and a top prospect. Especially since the Giants were looking for more scoring punch.

Well that's the thing. The Giants said the only way they would trade Kassian to Saskatoon was if they got Rabbit in return. The Giants wanted Kassian for Rabbit straight up. Obviously the Blades couldn't do that so they were trying to work out a deal to acquire another player from Vancouver along with Kassian. Whom that "someone else" is, I have no idea. I wasn't able to get that info unfortunately.

Jovorock
04-05-2005, 02:42 PM
A couple trades usually help a team, but too many like Bonner did really didn't help. Kelowna made one trade last year aquiring King and Valcak and two this year getting Sylvester and Couture.

One thing Hamilton always does is adding what he is missing, just a small piece of the pie.

Say what you want about King, I don't think we would of won the Cup last without him. Every team was running the Rockets, after King came it made a real difference.

Same thing this year adding Sylvester has helped for sure. Look for Syl to make a bigger contribution next year.

Kassian
04-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Same thing this year adding Sylvester has helped for sure. Look for Syl to make a bigger contribution next year.

The problem I see with Sylvester is he is too aggressive most of the time. The guy doesn't get many shifts (especially during the playoffs) but each time he is out there it seems like he takes a penalty. Not a very good idea if you want more playing time.

He does seem to have a pretty hard shot and he can hit pretty hard. If he could learn to control his aggressiveness and not try and go at every player so hard he could be much more of a valuable asset.

Beaner
04-05-2005, 06:52 PM
A couple trades usually help a team, but too many like Bonner did really didn't help. Kelowna made one trade last year aquiring King and Valcak and two this year getting Sylvester and Couture.

One thing Hamilton always does is adding what he is missing, just a small piece of the pie.

It's always easier to stand pat when your team is achieving what it should; when it is performing below expectation is when people start to try to do things to make things happen.