PDA

View Full Version : Braaten - Is Heading South

scoreboard
08-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Braaten headed south

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, August 29, 2008
Spencer Braaten has elected to part company with the Regina Pats.

The 18-year-old forward was unable to agree to terms on a WHL contract, so he left the team on Thursday and is now expected to explore his options south of the border.

Braaten had been with Regina since the start of training camp, but the sides reached an impasse regarding his status for this weekend's preseason tournament in Edmonton.

If Braaten had dressed for an exhibition game, he would have lost a year of NCAA eligibility.

Therefore, he was seeking some guarantees from the Pats, who weren't prepared to meet those conditions until they could evaluate him in a live WHL environment.

"The NCAA rules don't allow a kid to explore his options," lamented GM Brent Parker. "It's a shame because it's really punishing the kid by not giving him an opportunity to see if he can play at the top level (of junior hockey). Instead they have to settle for playing at a secondary level."

The Pats put considerable effort into recruiting Braaten and convincing him to attend training camp. The 5-foot-8, 170-pounder, an undrafted list pickup, caught the team's eye last season when he was among the leading scorers in the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League with 31 goals and 79 points in 43 games.

"We wanted him to stay," added Parker. "I really like the kid. I think he would have been able to make our team but circumstances dictate otherwise. His family has been very forthright and upfront from the beginning. They had to make a decision and they chose the direction they did."

Braaten is believed to have received some interest from NCAA teams. The Saskatoon product is likely to play junior A this season, perhaps with the SJHL's Humboldt Broncos.

- - -

patsdude114
08-30-2008, 01:12 PM
so far no NCAA team has stepped forward and offered this kid a scholarship.. in my mind its not going to happen this year anyways since its already aug 30. if he had played some exhibition games he wouldnt be eligable to go to the NCAA for 1 year... well guess what he hasnt got any offers on the table yet, he is 18 if he had been on the NCAA radar he would of been scouted hard last season with a offer or 2 out there... his size is turning the NCAA away as the NCAA is trying to get there competion as close to possible as junior and therefore means they want bigger stronger kids. All i got to say to Braaten is... have fun in humbolt he has been 1 of the top rookies in camp, and i am sure he was a lock to make this team anyways, but come on do u really think Parker is dumb enough to give him a FORSURE that hes on the team.. come on Parker has been around the league long enough to not do that... Braaten's parents were playing hard ball with Parker and Parker didnt bite. Kudo's for Parker not biting on this situation, and making Braaten make this team based on hard work and skill, not just by his word. 8 or 9 yrs ago Parker might of gave the Braaten parents what they wanted, but not no more Parker has seen it all and heard it all in his time in the league, with parents & the kids themselves.

I had watched Braaten play at camp and i thought he was very noticable out there most times he was on the ice and thats saying alot for a kid his size. Wish this kid the best of luck, he could of got 3 yrs of University payed for which is more then enough to get a great career out of in Canada, plus got to play close to a pro schedule as ur going to get (without actually being a pro) most kids would die for a chance to play in the WHL especially the Sask & MB kids.

hockeynut
08-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Braaten has two scholly options on the table, yet he still wanted to play for the Pats. Why would he throw away $100,000 offer for a couple of exhibition games with no guarantee? The WHL is big business, players are treated like assets, what is wrong with the kid looking out for himself? How many teams are playing 16 year olds this weekend essentially closing a door for them?