PDA

View Full Version : Blades vs Raiders

bladesruke
09-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Just a few brief thoughts on last nights game vs the Raiders.

PA SK
15-1 15-3
16-3 16-5
17-6 17-10
18-4 18-2
19-6 19-0

Mitch Berg- He looks like he skates a bit better this year but at times looked terribly lost with the puck and didn't really show the edge I was expecting out of him. His defensive zone awareness needs some work. However, he is a big kid who skates fairly well now and to have him playing with a veteran this year wouldn't hurt. Deserves a longer look.

Josh Nicholls- Kid looks fairly tall and lanky but showed some good hands and skill. Lacks a little bit of strength and determination at this point. Likes to set up down low and put pucks to the slot which did create numorous chances. Showed good hands in alone but deked the goalie and slid it and hit the post.

Brody Sutter- Basically won't hurt you and seems like a defensive forward with limited skill. Played on a line with Chikie and Benson and was the least noticable player on the line. His speed is a bit below average and will find it hard pressed to make one of the few forward spots open. It is my guess that he won't make the team.

Kevin Philp- Actually showed some improvement from last season. He will take the puck to the net shielding guys off with his huge frame, however he looses the handle on the puck more often than not. Creates havoc as nobody can stop him driving the net. Had a good decent shots on goal and was throwing his weight around. My guess is that the Blades may keep him around.

Burke Gallimore-I wasn't overly impressed with Gallimore's game. I think it could be because he lacks the speed I feel that is needed in today's game. It isn't that he doesn't have any skill because he does have a good quick release on his shot it is just that he doesn't do anything to excite me and his defensive awareness is non existant. I wouldn't have him on the team this year but my feeling is that they will let him play.

Jamie Crooks- Still looks a bit small as he was pushed off the puck on multiple occasions. Has some creativity but not enough at this point and will benifit from playing his 16 yr old season in the Midget ranks and being one of the leading scores. Needs more bulk, won't make the team.

Gaelan Patterson- His defensive game is very strong and he is very strong on the puck with what it looks like is more size. He is the perfect player to play a 3rd line shut down role. His offensive game wasn't there last night but it could've been who he was playing with to but I did expect a bit more from him in that way playing with the youngsters. He didn't stand out. Will make the team in my opinion. The only way he doesn't is if they want to keep Inglis at Center and have Inglis on the 3rd line behind Kytnar and Toomey.

Cody Chikie- speed, speed and more speed. He is very exciting out there and did create chances. In the building he earned 3rd star but I'm sure what game they were watching. Chikie was good but not the 3rd start. THey also named Mark McNeill 2nd star and I can name half a dozun Raiders and a few Blades who were better. Chikie WILL make the team and score some goals and be an exciting player for the Blades fans to watch this year.

Charles Inglis- I haven't seen Charles play in a while but does he ever have some unreal moves and skill with the puck. My opinion is that he was one of the top players on the ice along with Ryan Button from the Raiders. Inglis had many chances and looked dynomite on the few shifts he and Benson played with one another. Everything Inglis does is hard from his passes, to his hits to his shot. At the end of the game Siemens was in a pushing match with one of the Raider vets and Inglis came in and was calling on the Raider veteran player but the player skated away. Great player who could play 2nd line but likely won't this year.

Duncan Siemens- I haven't seen a player of this magnitude come through the Saskatoon Blades on defence in many years. I think he could play this year and be in the Blades top 4 defence. He has an active stick in the defensive zone, takes the body, stands up to older players and hits hard. He displayed a good accurate shot from the point as well that he used and scored a goal. Good vision for a 6'3 kid. Comparing him and Mitch Berg right now and I'd take Siemens in a heard beat even though Berg is my cousin! Siemens will be just as good as a Cowen or a Coburn forsure!

Brent Benson- ANother example of why the 15 yr old rule makes no sence. He along with Inglis and Chikie were easily the Blades top forwards. Brent has unreal vision with the puck and drives the net hard, wins faceoffs and hits hard already as well. He is a very complete player in the mold of Brayden Schenn from Brandon. It will be interesting to see how he demolishes the Midget ranks in Notre Dame this year because he shouldn't be there.