PDA

View Full Version : Oil Kings Vs Medicine Hat

WHL 2008
09-02-2008, 08:30 AM
From The Oil Kings Website

St. Albert, AB - Call it a special night for the Oil Kings. Edmonton scored 3 powerplay goals and a shorthanded marker as the special teams took over in a 5 – 4 win over the Medicine Hat Tigers. Most importantly, the young Oil Kings squad tasted victory for the first time this year wrapping up their 2nd Annual Pre-Season Invitational in style. Another good mix of veterans with a lot of good young players trying to make an impression factored into the scoring as the home squad continued to use a full compliment of bodies with the 3 games in 3 nights schedule.
“We’ve had a long grueling camp and that’s where were at right now.” Explained Oil Kings Head Coach Steve Pleau. “We’ve got some guys that are tired, guys that are banged up but that’s what camp is about. We’ve got to keep pushing them, drive them through it and we’ll be that much better for it come September 19th.”
20 year old veteran Jeff Lee made a strong case for himself when it comes to choosing which three over-age player will make the team. He scored the game winner with a wicked shot flying down the left wing midway through the third period. Later in the game he scored a knockout decision in a fight against Thomas Frazee.
“He probably asked me to go about 5 or 6 times before that and I kept looking at the clock and thinking, I’m not going to go with you this early in the game because of the suspension rule. “ (1 fight and your out)
Lee added an assist earlier in the game and whenever you get points – you get noticed.
“Finding the back of the net is always good.” said lee as he cracked a smile. “I got a good shot through. I don’t think he (Bunz) saw it through the legs of his own d-man.”
Another player that drew some attention to himself was 16 year old Saskatoon native Dylan Wruck. The diminutive Saskatoon native drew a penalty for a penalty shot. He couldn’t quite convert but made up for it in the second period with a goal and an assist while on the powerplay.
“I think I’ve progressed a lot from my first training camp a year ago. I think about what I can do better and you learn what you can start to do out there.” said Wruck who stands 5 foot 8.
He’s not like the classic ‘little guys’ who will burn you with pure speed or who will get under your skin as an agitator.
“That’s tough because he’s not a great skater but he’s so smart and he competes.” describes Pleau. “He’s as good a competitor as there is on the ice. I don’t know who he reminds me of…he reminds me of Dylan Wruck right now. I saw him in rookie camp and I saw him again tonight and that was fun to see.”
The Tigers actually took it to the Oil Kings in the opening frame outshooting them 15 – 8. Veterans John Stampohar and Josh Koper scored for the visitors while Brent Raedeke replied for Edmonton. The 18-year-old Regina native made a nice play to force a turn over in the neutral zone and fired a puck on Tigers goalie Tyler Bunz from along the boards that handcuffed the young netminder. Drew Nichol rounded out the scoring for the Oil Kings. Joey Frazer and Tristan King added singles for the Tigers in a late surge that just fell short.
The Oil Kings will head out on the road for a pair of games against the Prince George Cougars this Friday and Saturday night. Their next game around here is Tuesday September 9th in Leduc against the Red Deer Rebels. :groovy: