PDA

View Full Version : Thursday News

Scout
09-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Courtesy Alan Caldwell

Thursday, September 4, 2008

News and notes around the league this morning....

Firstoff, I want to correct my statement yesterday that Ryan DePape and Kirt Hill are available to any team that wants them. The Pats have cut them but still own their rights, and will try to trade them first. If there are no takers on the trade market, THEN the Pats would have to release them. The story I read yesterday said the two were given their "outright release", which to me means the team has relinquished its rights to you. That is not the case here though.

Still with the Pats, could they be a possible destination for disgruntled Hitmen defenceman Alex Plante? Pats G.M. Brent Parker admits to talking to the Hitmen about Plante, and perhaps the Hitmen might be interested in one of Regina's multitude of goaltenders. Hmmm......how does Plante to the Pats for Linden Rowat sound? We'll have to see.....Plante is believed to want to play for a contender though and the Pats probably aren't one, just like the Hitmen aren't.

One trade in the league yesterday, it's a fairly minor one as far as impact players go. Seattle has traded 18 year old forward Isak Quakenbush to Prince George for 19 year old forward Colin Haas. Both those guys were depth players for their old teams. The deal does move both players much closer to home though; Quakenbush is from Alaska and Haas is a Texan.

Saskatoon boss Lorne Molleken is warning his vets that Tuesday's release of veteran forward Kevin Philp could be just the start for them if they don't pick up their play.

In Everett, there is no news on the status of banished vets Tyler Kieffer and Jordan Mistelbacher. The Tips have just 24 players left on their roster and say they don't plan to make any more cuts before the season starts. As far as Kieffer and Mistelbacher go, I would think that unless whatever they did was very serious, or unless they are repeat offenders, that they would be back with the team at some point.

There is one overage rookie hopeful in the league this year, and it's in Prince George, where local boy Brian Matte is trying to crack the Cougars roster for his last year of junior hockey.

The Kootenay News-Advertiser has a wrap-up of Ice camp so far. The Advertiser does a great job covering the Ice, but they're only a bi-weekly paper. Isn't it time that the daily paper, the Townsman, joined the 21st century and got a website?

Hitmen hopeful Jason MacDonald has played for three WHL teams in his career already but is giving the league one last shot in Calgary. I'd like to correct the writer though in that there is no chance that the Hitmen (or any other team in the league) will cut down to 11 forwards for the regular season. You need 12 to ice four lines. Try 13 forwards, or 14. At least.

One more Pats story, this one featuring Pats head scout Todd Ripplinger talking about the depth on the team's protected list.

Scout

canes77
09-04-2008, 08:25 PM
C

The Kootenay News-Advertiser has a wrap-up of Ice camp so far. The Advertiser does a great job covering the Ice, but they're only a bi-weekly paper. Isn't it time that the daily paper, the Townsman, joined the 21st century and got a website?

Scout

The 21st century eh? Keep in mind that this is South East BC ;)