PDA

View Full Version : Ready or Not, It’s Ice-Breaker Time!

bladesruke
09-04-2008, 11:09 PM
http://www.saskatoonblades.com/News/Loft/

Ready or Not, It’s Ice-Breaker Time!
Posted by Les Lazaruk on Thursday, September 4, 2008 at 08:54:00 PM.

The return of the W-H-L Pre-Season Ice-Breaker Tournament to Credit Union Centre happens at 7:30 Friday night when the Saskatoon Blades take on the defending Eastern Conference champion Lethbridge Hurricanes. The Blades will go with a much older and more veteran line-up against the ‘Canes than they employed on Sunday in a 6-2 loss to the Raiders at Prince Albert. Here’s the 20-players that G-M and head coach Lorne Molleken will dress…

Goaltenders: Matthew Krahn (will start and play the whole game), Adam Morrison.
Defencemen: Tanner Sohn, Duncan Siemens, Colin Joe, Ryan Funk, Mitch Berg, Teigan Zahn.
Forwards: Derek Hulak, Milan Kytnar, Walker Wintoneak, Darian Dziurzynski, Travis Toomey, Brody Sutter, Charles Inglis, Brent Benson, Burke Gallimore, Jamie Crooks, Josh Nicholls, Baxter Niziol.

So, instead of only four veterans in P-A, the Blades will utilize nine regulars from last season on Friday night. The average age is 17.35…almost a full year older than Sunday’s 16.55 years of age.
---
The Saskatoon Star-Phoenix’s excellent Blades’ beat writer, Cory Wolfe, reported in Thursday’s edition about what Molleken told players as a group…which was pretty much what the G-M and head coach told me in the 1-on-1 interview I had with him Tuesday following the release of Kevin Philp.
From the last post on this blog, here’s an excerpt of the 1-on-1…

“Les Lazaruk - You made a deletion to your training camp roster, releasing a veteran in Kevin Philp. What's the reasoning behind it?
Lorne Molleken - Well, I think, Les, the message was going to be very clear at the start of camp that we had some young guys that would be pushing the veterans for an opportunity to make our hockey club this year. At this present time, we just thought that there was some younger players that were ahead of him, so the decision was made.
L.L. - Does that mean that some of the other veterans need to look over their shoulders as well, considering this move?
L.M. - Well, that was the message that was loud and clear yesterday (Monday). I think that after the last couple of years, I think we have lots to look forward to this year and certainly we're starting to build some depth and we need our veteran players to really step to the front here because getting off to a quick start is going to be really important.”

If I was to pin-point a couple of veterans who are on the “bubble” because of challenges from younger players and newcomers…they would be 19-year-old right winger Walker Wintoneak and 18-year-old centre Gaelan Patterson.

To me, as a 19-year-old, Wintoneak has to be on one of the top two lines to stay a Blade…likely on the top line because Chris Langkow is a lock on the second unit with Curtis Hamilton and Travis Toomey. I spoke with the Flin Flon product prior to practice on Thursday at C-U-C…

Les Lazaruk – Walker, the weekend, the Ice-Breaker Tournament, first chance for you to get on the ice in a game for a while…anxious, I’m sure, to get going?

Walker Wintoneak – Yeah, you want to get back on the ice. Have some good exhibitions, show coaches that you’re ready to play. I think everyone really wanted to go to P.A. that one game…that loss. I want to get back on track right now.
L.L. – You’re going to be on a line this weekend…at least tomorrow night I know for sure…with Hulak and Kytnar. That’s kinda like the #1 line. Obviously that’s a position you’d like to keep?
W.W. – Yeah, I’m playing really good with Kytnar…really good centreman, good speed. I played last year with Hulak for a bit. So, I’m pretty familiar with the lines and hope it goes good.
L.L. – Now, a lot was made in the paper today about the talk that Lorne had with the veterans, saying there’s a lot of kids here. Do you take that one to heart, yourself?
W.W. – I think everyone has to. You just can’t come into camp and assume that your spot’s there. You have to work for it. It doesn’t matter who you are or how long you’ve been with the team.
L.L. – Is this the most talented group of people at a training camp now going into your third year?
W.W. – Yeah, definitely, everyone here…there’s still 35 guys left and everyone still has a chance to make the team. Just shows what the scouting here has done. All the guys here, everyone has to work for their spot.
L.L. – So, what do you have to bring to the table this weekend in order to make sure you’re still here?
W.W. – Well, hopefully bring some offence this weekend. Get a good lead for us this weekend. Get some wins. Be a leader on the ice. Show the young guys how to get it done. Don’t take it too passive and, hopefully, get some wins.
In Gaelan Patterson’s situation, he has to be no worse than the third line centre and he is being pushed by Cody Chikie, Charles Inglis and Josh Nicholls. If the Saskatoon native can find the net at least a couple of times this weekend and be dangerous in the offensive end, he could survive the challenge because he is definitely a capable and responsible defensive player, who can kill penalties and win key face-offs.

---
The rest of the Ice-Breaker schedule goes this way:
Saturday – 1:00: Prince Albert Raiders vs Prince Albert Raiders
4:15: Swift Current Broncos vs Moose Jaw Warriors
7:30: Saskatoon Blades vs Medicine Hat Tigers
Sunday – 1:00: Lethbridge Hurricanes vs Moose Jaw Warriors
4:15: Medicine Hat Tigers vs Swift Current Broncos
7:30: Saskatoon Blades vs Prince Albert Raiders

See you at the rink!