PDA

View Full Version : Pats have a little more punch

nivek_wahs
09-05-2008, 08:18 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=28e160e8-2370-430b-b7a1-8fd711c05faf

Pats have a little more punch

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, September 05, 2008

It's well documented that the Regina Pats will be a younger and faster team in 2008-09.

But tougher?

"It might be more of a team toughness," explained defenceman Matt Delahey. "We're not goons but we don't let anyone push us around. It's important to establish that early so teams don't think they can have their way with us."

The message was received loud and clear last weekend when Regina opened the preseason at a tournament in Edmonton. The Pats weren't shy about engaging in fisticuffs, highlighted by an eight-player melee late in the third period against the Edmonton Oil Kings.

Regina was fined $500 for instigating the brawl while Delahey and right-winger Garrett Mitchell each received one-game suspensions. They'll sit out tonight's preseason game in Brandon against the Wheat Kings.

The Pats led the WHL last season with eight fines for $4,500, plus 20 games in suspensions (including the playoffs). Regina's behaviour was closely scrutinized by the league late last season, but new head coach Dale Derkatch isn't concerned about his team developing a bad rep.

"I don't want a carryover of fines and suspensions and all that," he said. "But being under the microscope, I like that. I hope people are watching. I'm looking at it from a different perspective. (Outsiders) might be looking at it from, 'Are you worried they're going to keep a close watch on everything we do?' That's up to the league. But in the end, (it's good) if people are talking about you."

The Pats created plenty of chatter at last year's trade deadline by adding the likes of J.D. Watt and Ryan Bender, two tough hombres who mastered the art of intimidation during their five-year careers. Bender and Watt both graduated last spring, but the Pats -- despite the absence of a true enforcer -- still don't plan on taking a step back in the toughness department.

"(Bender and Watt) are good players but guys are stepping up this year," noted defenceman Colten Teubert, who dropped his gloves twice on the weekend. "We're going to be a team that competes and we want to be a team that wins the East (Division) this year again, so we've gotta do what we've gotta do to win. With toughness you get respect. Big guys like me and (Delahey), we'll give room for guys like (Jordan) Eberle and (Jordan) Weal. We'll stop the pucks and let the little guys score the goals. It works for me."

It works for Derkatch, too.

"What we want as a coaching staff is a team that's hard to play against.

"The word I would use is 'relentless,' that other teams know they've been in a game. Obviously this past weekend there were some fights and multiple fights. That's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking for between the whistles, you play hard. After the whistles, you want guys to stand up for each other and that's fine. You don't want it being goofy all the time but I want the guys to play hard."

As a player, Derkatch was lauded for his flare with the gloves on. That said, Pats' all-time leading scorer is not opposed to his players dropping the mitts -- if the situation is right.

"I feel fights should come from guys being competitive, guys wanting to win, guys battling," added the rookie head coach. "My objective is to win hockey games. I don't want fighting to take away from that but fighting is part of the game and there are times and places for fights to happen. I want them to play hard and from playing hard if something happens because you're competitive, to me that's acceptable."

- - -

More at LEADERPOST.COM