PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 2 Warriors 4 (Saskatoon Tourney)

Big Ern
09-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Joel Broda scored a hat trick and Quinton Howden added a goal, as the Moose Jaw Warriors downed the Broncos 4-2 in exhibition action Saturday at the CUC in Saskatoon.

-the Broncos were lacking intensity tonight. Was it the 3-hour bus trip, or the feeling that "it's only exhibition?" Some of our guys were just lightly cruising around out there. Credit where it's due though...they did get a tonne of pucks on goal. The quantity was there.

-Swift Current put up 41 shots....Moose Jaw split the goaltending duties between 19-yr-old Kevin Jebson, and 16-yr-old Devin Dubyk, who were both terrific.

-quite a handful of our veterans have had better games before.

-the Warriors played a rough and tumble game, and deserve credit...they kept most shooters well to the outside. There was not a lot of room to maneuver for Swifty.

-shots...41-26 Swift Current.

-Geordie Wudrick and Dillon Wagner (PP) scored for the Broncos, who played from behind virtually all game long.

-Matt Tassone and Jordan Peddle had a great game....they both put in a good effort..also noticeable out there were Derek Claffey, Joel Rogers, and Andrew Hewett. They are gonna have to continue that...all three defensemen looked pretty good on the back end.

-Mark Guggenberger took the loss in goal for the Broncos....Guggs has had better outings.

-one good old fashoined "tilly" in the game...Mike Brown tossed the gloves and had a go with the Warriors' Travis Hamonic. Decision? Let's call it a draw. Credit Mike Brown, who made an attempt to fire his team up.

-the Warriors are seemingly in no hurry to cut down their roster...they still carry 31 or so players.

-no use ranting...and in fact it IS only exhibition. lol Confidence is high that tomorrow the Broncos can kick it up a notch and salvage the tournament with one win.

-scratches tonight were as follows:

Cody Eakin
Ryan Molle
Grant Toulmin
Justin Dowling
Zack Smith
Jesse Dudas
Spencer McAvoy
Oliver Jokel

OTHER NOTES:

-it's fun to be in Saskatoon. I wish I didn't have to miss tomorrow's contest.

-the Blades are not drawing too much attention...seemingly. Only a handful of people are coming out to check out this tournament featuring six WHL teams.

-I had a great chat today with the voice of the Blades, Les Lazaruk. Les has been calling Blades hockey for a long time. I got his brief thoughts on a few things in the East division. No predictons yet...he is a firm believer that you can't really judge a team from watching training camp and exhibition. lol I agree Les....let's see what happens when it comes down to the point!

-ten or more Bronco fans made the trip up here....if anyone would, please post a few game notes after tomorrow's game.

-it's time to head 'er home.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

Big Ern
09-06-2008, 11:09 PM
HOME!!!

A few more jottings while I'm at it:

-former Warriors' coach, Steve Young, is now comfortably working behind the Raiders' bench under HC/GM Bruno Campese. Sometimes I scratch my head and try to figure out why Moose Jaw canned him. lol

-I ran into Nancy Jefferson in Saskatoon, wearing her Bronco colours. Mr. and Mrs. Jefferson used to billet Jeremy Schenderling back here in Swift Current. Unfortunately two years ago, they had to move to Humboldt. They are actually billets up there too......they billet two players from the Humboldt Broncos of the SMJHL. Great hockey people always remain great hockey people I guess. :)

-the Broncos will return back home tonight, and make the trip to Saskatoon tomorrow again...as will the Warriors and Raiders. Seems strange that they would not book hotel rooms, doesn't it? Teams must be saving quite a bit of cash making the bus trip twice instead of doing the hotel thing.

-Legionnaires/Warriors tomorrow @ 1:30 PM. First exhibition game...check it out.

Later.

Broncs in RD
09-07-2008, 12:45 AM
From what I hear and have been gathering from some posts on here, it sounds as though there has been no intensity in training camp and now into pre-season. Are players even fighting for jobs? Or do some think they already have one locked up? I know I have not been to any of this years camp, but when I helped out with the broncos many years back, Training camp was intense everyone was fighting for a spot, Orr, Sommerfeld, Beagle even Froese(some may not remember him only played a few games), but there were battles, fight hug hits. Maybe it is the lack of coverage, but as a fan from afar where is the hype of this team? The Warriors are not going to be a very good team IMO this year. Maybe to early to tell, but not much has been talked about so far.
Opinions welcome!!!

CrazyGeorge
09-07-2008, 09:07 AM
I usually find a hand full of players not dressed to play each game that will be making this years squad, i.e. Cody Eakin from this last game against MJ (among others). Just because we lose a game during preseason doesn't imply a poor season but lack of intensity regardless who is in and who is not should not be an occurance. Good for Mike Brown to bring some intensity into the game, or at least try by dropping the mitts.

Coaches can be yelling, screaming, throwing a chair or what ever to instill intensity into their players but in the end it's the players themselves that need to decide what level of intensity is needed to be successful at this level...perhaps they haven't found that level yet. Still 3 more preseason games left. We'll see how things go from here!!

d-man
09-07-2008, 09:31 AM
I usually find a hand full of players not dressed to play each game that will be making this years squad

The two that stand out to me are Molle and MacAvoy. Sure Molle's off to NJ for NHL camp and you don't want to risk an injury but he will be back here and if there's anyone who needs the exhibition season its him. MacAvoy seems to be the odd man out of the 20 year olds but you would think the exhibition exposure would be good if you have to move him once the Dudas/Dansereau/Weise situations clear up with their NHL tryouts.

Scout
09-07-2008, 08:03 PM
I read an interview with Mike Brown. He wants to be more intensive this year and play a bigger role with the team, including protecting his team mates and if need be trying to change the momentum of the game. As a rookie last year he came in with the rep as an up and coming tough guy. He worked hard over the summer and came to camp just under 230lbs. If he's dropping them in preseason then i guess he wants a more active role.

Scout