09-06-2008, 10:53 PM
http://www.reginapats.com/News/394/

Pats 3 – Wheat Kings -6

1st Period
10:26 - Brandon – 11 Calvert (27 Clark)
11:45 - Regina – 10 Doucet (Unassisted)
16:24 – Brandon – 4 Robak (12 King, 27 Clark)PP

2nd Period
8:18 - Brandon – 11 Calvert (21 Lewadnick)
9:52 – Regina – 29 Strueby (3 Jackson, 27 Eberle)

3rd Period
5:15 – Brandon – 12 King (4 Robak, 22 Hale)
11:57 – Brandon – 21 Lewadnick (27 Clark, 12 King) PP
12:44 – Regina -6 Bartley (7 Delahey, 27 Eberle) PP
16:53 – Brandon – 18 Hall (15-DePape, 7 Sinatynski)

Pats Goalies
Ketlo - 10/13
Bosch - 13/16

Wheat Kings Goalies
Hayes - 12/13
Hildebrandt - 21/23

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
09-07-2008, 08:32 AM
www.wheatkings.com

Regina, Saskatchewan -- The Brandon Wheat Kings made it a 2-game weekend pre-season sweep Saturday night, doubling up on the Pats 6-3 at the Brandt Centre in Regina.

The win was the Wheat Kings second in as many nights against the Pats, as they edged Regina 3-2 in their pre-season opener on Friday.

Columbus Blue Jackets' draft choice Matt Calvert scored twice for the winners while Carman product Aaron Lewadniuk added a goal and an assist in the Western Hockey League debut. A former Pembina Valley Hawk, the 19-year old Lewadniuk spent the 2007-08 campaign in the USHL. Brandon obtained his playing rights from the Portland Winter Hawks in the summer of 2007.

Colby Robak, rookie Jesse Hall and Sanfred King, who added a pair of assists, also scored for the Wheat Kings, who led 2-1 and 3-2 at the period breaks.

Overage center Scott Doucet, Victor Bartley and Matt Strueby replied for the Pats, who outshot Brandon 36-29.

Brandon's netminders Andrew Hayes and Graham Hildebrand teamed up to stop 33 shots. While Hildebrand turned aside 21 of 23 shots, Hayes faced thirteen shots, stopping 12.

The Wheat Kings will conclude their 4-game pre-season schedule next weekend with a home and home series with Moose Jaw, before bringing the curtain up on their 2008-09 season against Regina on Friday, September 19th at Westman Place.

Tickets to this year's Home Opener are on sale at the Keystone Centre box office, by calling 726-3555 or online at ticketmaster.ca.

sbtatter
09-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Even though we were outshot we were never outplayed, even game, we just finished our chances. Pats were not playing as chippy as in Bdn. Pats had 2 goals waved off, one when the net was off the moorings (should have been called sooner) and the second when the whistle blew just before the Pats knocked the puck from under Hildebrand into the net, of course the home fans were disgruntled!
Goaltenders, so far, Caliguri and Hayes have done nothing to deserve not being the starting tenders...
Defence, Hale was a revelation playing at the back, being as though we are weak back there (and soon losing Aulie, Robal and McCue to training camps) we should look at this again. McCue played his role. hit well and out fought lefler who just held on. Aulie is a big man, when Doucet started taking liberties with Miller after the whistle Aulie reached right in and grabbed Doucet by the throat with one hand which stopped Doucets shennanigans!
Both Miller and Rock looked better last night, but defence is a concern.
Forwards, Clark, Lewadniuk and Calvert were a force with 7 points. Schenn, Green and King were quiet, King getting 3 points. Schenn hasn't hit last years form yet, but he did fight Dort (who the heck is he?) when Dort was hacking and slashing Green. Result was a tie, maybe the decision to Dort as he managed to get Schenn's shirt over his head.
Hall, Depape and Sinatynski worked hard, rewarded with 3 points on Hall's highlight reel goal.
Ciarelli, Rouse and Stone worked hard, Ciarelli annoying the Pats fans around me for his rough elbow work along the boards.
So far, out of the rookie forwards I have Depape, Hall and Ciarelli as the top 3, closely followed by Stone. I can see Rouse and Synatynski benefitting from another year in AAA.
Bartek and Robidoux were on the game list, but didn't dress, Melnychuk was also listed, but didn't play, I speculate that he is still suffering from the head shot Mitchell gave him Friday night.
Our O/A situation is no clearer, not much difference between Erb and McCue, Clarky is a lock, Lowry playing well and Bartek not cleared to play....
Our defence is a worry. Aulie, Robak, Melnychuk and Erb and/or McCue are a very good top 4, but after that we are dangerously thin, the inexperienced G-D and the rookies Miller, Robidoux and Rock. Rather than trading for 19 year old Plante, I hope we trade for a good 17 or 18 year old d-man....
Regina fans told us they can't believe our poor ST sales, they think that might hinder our Mem Cup shot.......
Regina look like they might struggle to score, I sure like Bartley....

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
09-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Jeff Dort played with the AAA Notre Dame Hounds in the SMAAAHL. In 35 games last season, Dort had 11 goals, 19 assists for 30 points and 130 penalty minutes. In the playoffs, Dort added 1 goal and 3 assists for 4 points in 10 playoff game and was a player that played under Derkatch last season and knows the system real well, which is probably why he's stuck around longer than one would imagine he would.

Vik
09-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Regina fans told us they can't believe our poor ST sales, they think that might hinder our Mem Cup shot.......
I blame myself for this. People realized they wouldn't be able to see my beautiful face at all the games this year and decided that it just wasn't worth it to renew.

As for the game, Hale's playing D? That's a scary thought. I can see him getting burned worse than Yeo used to by quick forwards already.

WHEATMAN
09-07-2008, 03:41 PM

What do they mean poor season ticket sales? we have already sold 2000 and change and will likely end up near the goal of 3000, didn't Regina just break the 3000 ticket mark for the first time in their teams history?, I think people forget just how small of a town Brandon is.

sbtatter
09-07-2008, 08:14 PM
I blame myself for this. People realized they wouldn't be able to see my beautiful face at all the games this year and decided that it just wasn't worth it to renew.

As for the game, Hale's playing D? That's a scary thought. I can see him getting burned worse than Yeo used to by quick forwards already.
He honestly looked ok back there, better than he does up front!!

GoWheaties/67's
09-08-2008, 08:49 AM
The only reason it seems to me that Regina season tickets are higher this year is that they have first dibs at World Jr. tickets for 2010.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-08-2008, 12:28 PM
The only reason it seems to me that Regina season tickets are higher this year is that they have first dibs at World Jr. tickets for 2010.

Its only slightly higher than last years total which was like 3100 or something, and there wasnt anything like the world juniors in Regina last year.

I think that generally, interest is starting to increase. Regina has been a consistantly competitive team in the last 3 years or so(at least through the regular season).

Douglas
09-08-2008, 02:55 PM
I belive smaller centres with of course smaller rinks, sell a higher percentage of thier season tickets simply becasue fans have to secure thier seats for the year. If I never had to worry about getting to the games I wanted to becasue of larger rink seating capacity, I'd have never purchased season tickets in the first place. I could go anytime and buy at the door.

For Regina and Saskatoon to be compared with Brandon, Medicine Hat, Swift Current and other small rinks just isn't the same thing. You can bet Medicine Hats new upcoming and much larger rink probably won't sustain the same number of season tickets sales they do now.