PDA

View Full Version : Injured Brule declines U-18 invitation

Jovorock
04-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Site Map »

Injured Brule declines U-18 invitation

TSN.ca Staff

4/5/2005

After already suffering a major disappointment this week when his Vancouver Giants were eliminated from the Western Hockey League playoffs, Gilbert Brule experienced more of the same today when multiple injuries forced him to decline an invitation to join Canada's entry at this month's 2005 IIHF World Under-18 Hockey Championships.

The North Vancouver native has been playing through a number of injuries this season. He played with a separated shoulder for much of the second half of the season. Most recently, while leading the Giants playoff charge, he has been playing through injuries to his elbow and lower back, and as he said today, these injuries have taken their toll.

"To say missing the World Championships is a disappointment would be an understatement," said Brule. "It would have been great to represent Canada internationally again, but with my current injuries I wouldn't be able to perform to the level required at this time. The medical staff has made it clear that it's not just a matter of continuing to play through pain; I have to start the necessary rehabilitation now or risk further damage."

Brule was the third leading scorer in the WHL in 2004-05 with 87 points and was named the Vancouver Giants' Most Valuable Player for the 2004-05 season. He was also the MVP of the 2005 CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game scoring a hat trick for Team Cherry in front of a hometown crowd. Brule was also recently named to the Western Conference First All-Star Team and is currently nominated as the Western Conference's nominee for the Daryl K. Seaman Trophy as the league's Scholastic Player of the Year.

Kassian
04-05-2005, 01:04 PM
That is the main reason I wasn't too hard on Brule during the playoffs. It seems as though most people were bashing him for only scoring 1 goal in the playoffs, but Brule has been hurt for a long time now. He just kept his mouth shut and played. He was obviously trying hard out there so you have to give him credit there. He has been suffering from a few injuries over the past couple months including a dislocated shoulder. Makes his performance in the playoffs (especially those hits) even more respectable.

Jovorock
04-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Ya too bad he can't help the U18 team, I gave Brule credit for being real fisty during the Kelowna series. Being that banged up shows the kid has the guts.

Kassian
04-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Ya too bad he can't help the U18 team, I gave Brule credit for being real fisty during the Kelowna series. Being that banged up shows the kid has the guts.

Exactly. I'll never bash a hockey player for showing up and playing with guts. That is what a lot of players lack today. So whenever I see it, I enjoy it.