PDA

View Full Version : Pats acquire Czibere from Giants

nivek_wahs
09-11-2008, 12:20 PM
http://reginapats.com/News/398/

Pats Make a “Giant” Deal

Regina, Saskatchewan – For the second year in a row, the Pats and Giants are involved in an early season trade. Vancouver sends 19 year-old forward Mitch Czibere and a 4th round pick in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft (originally a Pats pick, sent to the Giants in the Tommy Tartaglione trade last season), in exchange for a pair of 18 year olds in defenceman Curtis Kulchar and forward Todd Kennedy.

A native of Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Czibere has spent the last three seasons with the Vancouver Giants collecting 16 goals and 40 assists. During the Giants run to the Memorial Cup in 2007, Czibere played in all 22 games grabbing a goal and 5 assists.

Todd Kennedy came to the Pats at the mid-way point last season from the Nanaimo Clippers of the BCHL, and in 30 games he scored twice and picked up 3 assists. Curtis Kulchar was a rookie with the Pats in 2007-08, and had 3 assists in 50 games.

Pats General Manager Brent Parker explains, “Acquiring Mitch gives us another character forward that can play both centre and the wing. His experience playing in 2 Memorial Cups will also be a great addition to our line-up. This deal will also give Curtis and Todd the opportunity to play more and for Todd he will also be closer to home."

Czibere will be in the line-up this weekend as the Pats hit the ice tomorrow night, hosting the Saskatoon Blades at the Brandt Centre, puck drops at 7pm. The two will meet again 24 hours later at 7:05 at Credit Union Centre in Saskatoon.

CJSenterprise4
09-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Was never a fan of Kennedy at all and don't really care for Kulchar that much. Get a good player in return and i think this is a good trade.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-11-2008, 04:52 PM
I know the name was a pun, but this is hardly a giant deal.

Both of these players were moved just to make room for other younger players. Kulchar for slobozian and miller, and kennedy to make room for all these 16 year olds. Im fine with Kulchar leaving, but Kennedy plays the 4th line role pretty well, better than some skinny 16 year old. We are probably going to end up missing his physical play.

I guess I like getting Czibere. He is a versatile player with experience, who could be probably play a borderline top 6 role. Basically a Hill replacement... though I doubt his acquitition will solve our offence problem.

nivek_wahs
09-12-2008, 07:07 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=c74fcf40-1d97-435a-b33c-6d14005c2568

Pats pickup Czibere from Giants for veteran presence

Greg Harder
Leader-Post

Friday, September 12, 2008

It seemed like a regular day at the office when Mitch Czibere arrived at the Vancouver Giants' practice facility on Thursday, just like he had done a few hundred times before.

However, this day turned out to be anything but routine.

"When I was called into the GM's office, obviously I knew something was up," Czibere, 19, said after learning he had been traded to the Regina Pats. "You're kind of nervous-excited, a mix of emotions. Vancouver has been a great place. I spent three great years here but with the depth that we had at centre, icetime was going to be hard to come by. To come out to Regina, which is an awesome team, with a chance to make them better, I'm looking forward to that opportunity."

Pats GM Brent Parker acquired Czibere in a three-player deal with Vancouver. The Pats also received a fourth-round pick in the 2009 bantam draft while parting with defenceman Curtis Kulchar, 18, and right-winger Todd Kennedy, 18, neither of whom was expected to play a major role with the team this season.

Czibere was mostly a centre with the Giants, but he can also play left wing. The Pats are thin at both positions.

"He's a guy with a little more experience that we see fitting into our top three lines," explained Parker. "Mitch has got an opportunity maybe to score 15, 18 goals for us. He has above average skill level, he skates good enough and he has good character. It was an opportunity for us to make our team better."

Czibere, a native of Fort Saskatchewan, Alta., first caught Parker's attention four years ago when he was a highly touted prospect heading into the 2004 WHL bantam draft. The Giants landed him in the second round (29th overall).

"I remember watching him and (Brett) Leffler play against each other in Fort Saskatchewan at the western bantam championships," recalled the Pats' GM. "He was a good player -- feisty and skilled. I liked him a lot."

Still does.

Although Czibere hasn't put up big numbers in the WHL -- he potted six goals and 21 points in 67 games last season -- he did develop into a reliable veteran presence for the Giants. Czibere played in all 22 playoff games for the club in 2006-07 when it captured the Memorial Cup.

"I would say I'm a solid two-way player," offered the 5-foot-11, 185-pounder. "For the most part in the last three years with Vancouver I've been a defensive player, mostly a shut-down guy. Coming here I hope to bring that solid defensive play but also try to incorporate a little more offence into it. I've been told there's a lot of top-end skill guys in Regina. I'm looking forward to playing with some of them and seeing what we can do."

He's eager to accept a mentorship role for Regina's young players as well.

"All veterans have to show that responsibility," said Czibere, the Western Conference nominee for humanitarian of the year last season. "I've always tried to be a good teammate. If I can help them out in any way that would be great."

Parker is still working the phones as he looks to solve an ongoing goalie dilemma that has Linden Rowat, Jeff Bosch, Damien Ketlo and Derek Tendler fighting for two jobs. As well, the departure of Kennedy and the release of Josh Elder -- the team's most-reputable pugilists -- would seem to leave a gap in the toughness department, but Parker doesn't necessarily see it that way.

"We've got good enough team toughness," he said. "I'm not concerned about that at this time."

More at LEADERPOST.COM

Go online to read what Greg Harder has to say about the trade and the team on his blog Slap Shots.
© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008