PDA

View Full Version : Giants trade Czibere to Pats

nivek_wahs
09-11-2008, 12:26 PM
http://reginapats.com/News/398/

2008-09-11

Pats Make a “Giant” Deal

Regina, Saskatchewan – For the second year in a row, the Pats and Giants are involved in an early season trade. Vancouver sends 19 year-old forward Mitch Czibere and a 4th round pick in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft (originally a Pats pick, sent to the Giants in the Tommy Tartaglione trade last season), in exchange for a pair of 18 year olds in defenceman Curtis Kulchar and forward Todd Kennedy.

A native of Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Czibere has spent the last three seasons with the Vancouver Giants collecting 16 goals and 40 assists. During the Giants run to the Memorial Cup in 2007, Czibere played in all 22 games grabbing a goal and 5 assists.

Todd Kennedy came to the Pats at the mid-way point last season from the Nanaimo Clippers of the BCHL, and in 30 games he scored twice and picked up 3 assists. Curtis Kulchar was a rookie with the Pats in 2007-08, and had 3 assists in 50 games.

Pats General Manager Brent Parker explains, “Acquiring Mitch gives us another character forward that can play both centre and the wing. His experience playing in 2 Memorial Cups will also be a great addition to our line-up. This deal will also give Curtis and Todd the opportunity to play more and for Todd he will also be closer to home."

Czibere will be in the line-up this weekend as the Pats hit the ice tomorrow night, hosting the Saskatoon Blades at the Brandt Centre, puck drops at 7pm. The two will meet again 24 hours later at 7:05 at Credit Union Centre in Saskatoon.

Kassian
09-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Good deal. I had a feeling Kennedy was the guy Bonner had been looking at. The Giants desperately needed some toughness. :clap:

Swando
09-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Saw this trade coming a mile away. Mitch just did not have the speed, toughness or shot to make an impact with the Giants this year. It'' be intereesting to see the big forward we got. He's a Loops boy, does anyone know his toughness?

Kassian
09-11-2008, 10:34 PM
He's willing but certainly has a lot to learn before taking on that role full time. Most importantly he adds some much needed size to a smaller Giants team. Bonner says he isn't done looking for more grit so I'd expect another trade or two sooner rather than later.

dondo
09-14-2008, 11:34 PM
I have some mixed feeling s about this deal.

Some are saying that Mitch asked for a trade.

Mitch was about as solid and steady as they get, but I expect seeing another year in the third and often fourth line probably made him ask to be dealt.

Thanks for all your work Mitch, hope you are able to make even more of an impact in Regina and gte an opportunity to be a go-to guy.

Kennedy gives us toughness and Kulchar seemingly makes one of our OA d-men (Berube most likely) expendable, so the team could keep Cloud and his toughness in the line-up.

Not sure how its going to work out, but I think that this is a good deal for both parties