PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the rookies?

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-13-2008, 09:21 PM
As you may know, there are alot of young guys fighting for spots on a team that still looks competitive even with all these young players. It looks like a young team this year, but with guys like Bartley and teubert in the back end, and Eberle and (any winger on his line), they still still stand a chance.

With all these rookies vying for the final spots, which ones do you think deserve a spot on the team? what do you think of how they did last game?

How do you think things will all shake up like in the end (considering possible trades, or whatever)? like the goaltending situation, and remaining spots on F and D....

I will post what I think later, i dont have the time right now but I look forward to seeing what others think.

nivek_wahs
09-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Rod likes some of the rookies..... http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/

- European forward Tomas Hrcina is a keeper.

- D Jeff Dort is too. Solid as a keg, very composed, and apparently quite tough. He's from Medicine Hat, but has a Rider retro logo tattoo on his calf and a Philly Flyers tattoo on his chest. How do I know? He's not afraid to disrobe on the bus.

- F Jordan Weal is special, but he's got quite a ways to go to catch up to Ebs.

I will post my thoughts tomorrow.... after I finish yelling at the TV (watching the Rider game).

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-14-2008, 05:39 PM
- I know Weal is very talented, and its obvious by watching him that he is the by far the most skilled out of all these rookies...but like mentioned, he has a long way to go. He is pretty small and unlike Eberle, it doesnt take much to knock him off the puck.

I would like to see him use this speed I have heard about him because he hasnt really showed it yet... though on a brighter side, he has a pretty good shot that is going to get him a few goals this year, and he is a great playmaker as well. I would really like to see him play with Ebs and see how they do together being that they are both goalscorers and can be playmakers as well. Despite all the things he needs to work on, he should definitely be capable of contributing good offensively this year.

- As for the other guys, I really like Breitkreuz' game. When he was on the ice, you really noticed him(number 34). A good two way player that likes to drive to the net, and doesnt mind getting physical despite being a skinny guy. Going to make the team as a 4th liner(could get some time in offensive situations), and I dont expect too much points this year, but after a year in the dub, he should start producing alot more.

-I thought Hanson was played pretty good too. Didnt see him as much of an offensive threat really but was buzzing all over the place and hitting everyone. I think that since Kennedy and Elder are gone, that Regina should keep him as a good checker. We need a crash and bang player right now more than another rookie getting little icetime on the 4th line.

Though, he might be the odd one out just because of his age.

- Favreau and Hood. I didnt see much of Favreau at all, really. Seems kind of fast, doesnt mind hitting guys. Though, that being said, I think he could benefit from another year in midget, one where he becomes more offensively confident. But I think he makes the team anyways, because of the flashes of potential he as shown.

As for Hood, he seems like a big kid that likes to hit, and could legitimately fit in as a good 4th liner this season. His speed isnt bad, and he has a nose for the net. Will probably stay as well.

Mulder has been injured so I have not seen him. I hear he is skilled but also great defensively, and Ive heard from some that he was one of the best rookies.

In order of who I liked best:
1. Weal
2. Breitkreuz
3. Hood
4. Hanson
5.Favreau(mainly because I didnt see much of him)

*Mulder

And the defence . . . . .

- Miller looked really good from what I saw. Put up some points, and wasnt bad in his own end. Probably as good as you expect a rookie to do, and he fit in pretty well. Didnt see much of Slobozian, but he is a good skater from what I have seen...and I have heard he has good offensive instincts and a surprisingly good shot.

- Dort seems ready to play in this league, but I dont think he is going to beat out the other two guys out of a spot. Perhaps we could trade him somewhere where he could play. I dont see much in return but it will help him more than anything.

Unless the pats decide to keep 8 defencemen instead of 7. Unlikely though.

1. Miller
2. Slobozian
3. Dort

And for goaltending, I still think that Tendler should be the number 2, and Bosch is ready to start. It is close between the two, but I think Rosie needs a change of scenary after last year. He also has more value on the market than Bosch.

Ketlo could still end up being the number two though, since he is still with the team.

dagley
09-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Can't wait to hand you guys an ass whooping Friday >:D (Yes I am trying add fuel to the fire :D)

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Pfft, we will see about that.

But you probably will win that first game. Regina will be missing Eberle and Teubert as they both apparently have legitimate chances to make their teams, while for brandon the kid line will still be there, and guys like Calvert and Robak etc will probably be back from camps by then.

I am looking on the bright side though...while the wheaties (maybe) kick our asses on the scoreboard, it will make me feel better when the wheaties get their asses kicked on the ice in a literal sense.:) :thumb:

dagley
09-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Hehe, we will see about that. I'll feel better seeing that division pennant going up once again

localguy
09-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Pfft, we will see about that.

Regina will be missing Eberle and Teubert as they both apparently have legitimate chances to make their teams,
:) :thumb:

Not trying to stir anything up, but I wouldn't say that they have legitimate chances of making the show this year. They will likely get a longer look as first rounders, and great players, but I think they are at least a year or two away.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Well Eberle and Teubert are both going to teams that missed the playoffs last year, and especially in teuberts case, the team depth in their positions isnt that high. Teubert could possibly sneak on the roster if they think he is a better choice than some guy from the minors.

Not necessarily smart because Teubert has alot to work on, but LA is a desperate team, and they might just keep him because of his physical game.

As for Eberle, his hockey smarts are being compared to Sam Gagner, and rushing him to the NHL worked out for the oilers, so they might do the same with Eberle, especially since the Oilers are desperate for goalscorers. Again, not the best choice for Eberles long term development, but I think that he is legitimately in contention for a spot on the team, unliek guys liek Calgary's Grantham and Aulie who coaches dont go thinking about making the team.

I personally hope they both come back to the pats, not to make our teams better, but because its better for their development. I mean, look at Kalus...he is still toiling in the minors. Brule is another example of what I dont dotn happening to Eberle either.

CJSenterprise4
09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
I really don't see Eberle or Teubert making the NHL this year. I just highly doubt they can make their teams whether they are desparate or not.

nivek_wahs
09-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Well I know it's a few days after I first said that I would post my "rookie" thoughts. But here they are.... in no particular order.

Jordan Weal - I do think he is the "Real Deal" but I don't expect huge numbers right away. He has the quickness, he has the hands, he has the shot, he has the skill but he lacks size. Bigger opposition D-men seem to have an easy time knocking him off the puck. With time he will adapt to the size and physicality of the WHL and will definitely be the real deal.

Clarke Breitkreuz - Very lanky forward (a.k.a. pretty skinny) with some very good skill. Very good offensively and from what I have seen decent in the defensive zone. I would tend to think that he will spend a bunch of time on the checking "lines" until he can build confidence to be a good all around player.

Dominick Favreau - Another small speedy Pats forward. I think he will be more of a role player than a scorer. On second thought I will bet that he will be more of an agitator-type forward (not sure why I think this but I do). He will be a gooder.

Graham Hood - At the start of camp I thought.... oh dear he's not even close to be ready. BUT as camp went on and as the pre-season concluded he had improved TONS. A gritty power forward in the making.

Kyle Mulder - I really like this guy. I seriously thought he could have made the 2007-8 edition of the Pats as a gritty fourth liner checker penalty killer guy. From what I saw of him in this year's camp he could be a producing forward once he gets healthy. Has some seriously good hands and will be a good one.

Tomas Hricina - Rather large Import forward that seems to be adapting to the WHL really well. Decent speed and has some really good offensive skill and a wicked wrister. Too early to tell how he will pan out... remember Ivo Kratena? Kamil Vavra? If you get my drift.

Justin Slobozian - Very slight d-man looked good in camp most of the time.... but at times he looked like what he is... a 16 year old rookie. Has very good speed but lacks the physical side of the game. Will be a point producer one day.

Koltyn Miller - I haven't really gotten a good read on Miller... I don't really remember making a mistake on the D side of things. Very good in the offensive zone and is a really good passer. Only knock on him is that he is skinny.

Jeff Dort - Small bulldog style player. Seems to be a defensive d-man who excels with the rough side of the game. Chipped in with a couple of points in the pre-season so probably a decent list player.

Cody Hanson - Looks like he has made the team as a checker. He is a decently fast forward with limited offensive play in his game. He seems to excel with the physical play and had looked good in camp.

Damien Ketlo - Good goalie with some very good skills. Isn't really great with any aspect of the game but is good at most. Had a good camp and a good pre-season. Back-up? Trade bait? Waiting to get sent to the Jr. A? I dunno. For now he is the Pats' back-up.

Bully73
09-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Jordan Weal - I do think he is the "Real Deal" but I don't expect huge numbers right away. He has the quickness, he has the hands, he has the shot, he has the skill but he lacks size. Bigger opposition D-men seem to have an easy time knocking him off the puck. With time he will adapt to the size and physicality of the WHL and will definitely be the real deal.
Weal was extremely good last night, as he was one of the best players on the ice from either team. Not only does he have a great deal of skill, he sees the ice extremely well. Made some very nice passes last night and looked like a veteran on many plays.

sbtatter
09-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Weal was extremely good last night, as he was one of the best players on the ice from either team. Not only does he have a great deal of skill, he sees the ice extremely well. Made some very nice passes last night and looked like a veteran on many plays.
Agreed, skill, hockey sense and speed, very good looking rookie. What # pick was he in the bantam draft?

nivek_wahs
09-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Agreed, skill, hockey sense and speed, very good looking rookie. What # pick was he in the bantam draft?4th round, 79th overall in 2007.

sbtatter
09-20-2008, 03:00 PM
4th round, 79th overall in 2007.Wow, great steal!!! Must have been that low thanks to his size? Wish we would have got him!!