PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Choices

TwoBits
09-14-2008, 12:10 AM
I was surprised to hear that Garrett Thiessen was sent to Prince Albert. It sounds like he was totally blind-sided. I listened to the Raider game tonight and he was trying to fire-up his team with a fight. :laugh:

I was also disappointed to see that Danyluk was sent back to Yorkton. He put in a pretty good showing in Alberta.

I don't know. (we need a smilie shrugging it's shoulders and rolling it's eyes)

WestLEAFfan
09-14-2008, 06:52 AM
After some thought, is Mr. Thompson:

1. completely nuts?
2. trying to anger more PG fans with the blindsiding of a HOMETOWN boy?
3. sending a message to the vets of the squad?
4. saying the "kids" are that good?
5. only doing what he's told to by team owners?

My money is on.....take a guess! :D

the flying moose
09-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Thiessen should have been Captain this year. He looked like he bulked up a lot in the off season. He is one of a couple of guys who give 100% all game, every game.

Danyluk should have been back-up this year. I just do not like Curtis in net at all. Too shaky.

I do like the acquisition of Cepek. I was looking forward to him and Thiessen on D this season.

I think the young guys are going to do alright this year but they need a team leader and they got rid of that when the traded Thiessen.

smileyjones
09-15-2008, 06:43 AM
I hate to burst yor bubble but.....Thiesen just wasn't a fantastic d-man.

I was a fan of his as he gave 100%, fought, hit, etc. etc. The guy wore his heart on his sleeve and for that he is to be commended. I hope he does great in PA.

But the fact is they only got a 6th round pick for him, which is an indication of his value around the league. Unless you have a 19yo D who can play in ALL of the key situations against the leagues better forwards then he's just eating up minutes a developing d-man should get. Plus, Tyrell should be captain. The cats will only go as far as he takes them.

I really don't think that Thompson is insane at all. For the first time ever, there is a true "youth movement" and it looks like there's talent and a plan to develop it. Whether they make it work or not will be the test.

WestLEAFfan
09-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Don't you think he at least deserved to be given a heads up before the trigger was pulled? Seems like the decent thing to do. Whatever the case, time will tell whether or not it was a good move. It sounds like he'll see all the ice time he wants in PA.

smileyjones
09-15-2008, 10:17 AM
That's a tough one....on the one hand, he was a good team guy, liked playing here and deserved the best possible treatment.

I don't know whether or not giving him the heads up would have weakened there position or not.

I do know that PA will get a defencemen who's short on natural ability and long on heart, so hopefully it all works out.

TwoBits
09-15-2008, 12:29 PM
If the team has no intention of ever letting Danyluk play, they should release him so that he can get some experience playing somewhere else in the Dub. (They could always call up Tommy again if need be. :laugh: )

As for D Tyrell being Captain, being the team's star player does not automatically make you a team leader. There's a lot more to the job than just wearing a letter on your shirt. The newsletter articles last year indicated that Thiessen was the player that could be heard from the team dressing room while Tyrell sat silent. I don't think you need to be a cheerleader, but you've gotta do something.

I saw the new team schedule, I like the picture on the front. :D

Teacher
09-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Dana definitely deserves to be captain. Not only because he is the star player but because he is the face of the franchise and the leader by example. Yelling at teamates does not show much, performance does, and mentoring younger players.

SaskHockeyFan
09-15-2008, 12:45 PM
From a PA perspective, Thiessen doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade on the 17 and 18 year olds that we already had on the team. PA needs a d-man that can play big minutes in all situations and I don't think Thiessen is that guy. He wanted to fight a couple of times in the second last pre-season game but couldn't find a willing combatant. It looks like he skates well but doesn't pass the puck well. Time will tell as he was new to the team.

TwoBits
09-15-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm sure PG had it's reasons to let Thiessen go, the fashion in which it was done wasn't very classy though. I'm pretty sure Thiessen was acquired by PA for his character. I'll be interested to see if the rumblings from last year were true or not if his skills improve under a new coach.

I can't wait for the season to begin. :thumb:

WestLEAFfan
09-15-2008, 05:50 PM
If the team has no intention of ever letting Danyluk play, they should release him so that he can get some experience playing somewhere else in the Dub. (They could always call up Tommy again if need be. :laugh: )

As for D Tyrell being Captain, being the team's star player does not automatically make you a team leader. There's a lot more to the job than just wearing a letter on your shirt. The newsletter articles last year indicated that Thiessen was the player that could be heard from the team dressing room while Tyrell sat silent. I don't think you need to be a cheerleader, but you've gotta do something.

I saw the new team schedule, I like the picture on the front. :D

Go figure, CYR is gone and NOW he gets his picture on the 2008-09 schedule??? Always a day late and a dollar short! :confused:

TwoBits
09-16-2008, 10:10 PM
From a PA perspective, Thiessen doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade on the 17 and 18 year olds that we already had on the team. PA needs a d-man that can play big minutes in all situations and I don't think Thiessen is that guy. He wanted to fight a couple of times in the second last pre-season game but couldn't find a willing combatant. It looks like he skates well but doesn't pass the puck well. Time will tell as he was new to the team.

I listened to PAs "Town Hall Meeting" (a Q & A Radio Show) on Monday and Campese basically said that Thiessen was acquired for his gritty character, he said it is something the team has been lacking for some time.