PDA

View Full Version : Realistic expectations for this season?

Rebel66
09-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Are we in for a better season than last year's 18 win effort? (Only 5 in regulation IIRC)

Who are you looking forward to seeing?

Who do you expect to improve the most? Least?

Will we see a different style under Wallin?

And.........will they make the playoffs?

RDRebelsfan
09-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Are we in for a better season than last year's 18 win effort? (Only 5 in regulation IIRC)

Who are you looking forward to seeing?

Who do you expect to improve the most? Least?

Will we see a different style under Wallin?

And.........will they make the playoffs?

Yes.

Ferraro and Kivisto.

Mappin, Egener

Lets hope so

No.

tiny
09-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Much

An exciting D, Confident G, Fast F

Coetzee, Mappin, Ferrero, Polak, Esposito--Those who don't stay long

We already have

Without doubt

Shinyshoes
09-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Yes, Before Christmas

Nugent-Hopkins - Hopefully his team doesnt go deep

Coatzee, Smith

Compared to Brian, other end of the spectrum

At least 1 round......

SectionNDeserter
09-18-2008, 10:37 PM
A few teams in our division are not as strong as they were last year. Add to that that this year's version of the Rebels has definitely improved on some of their problem areas from last season and I can't help but think we will see a big increase in wins this year.

Kivisto--because we haven't seen a skilled puck moving defenseman in Red Deer since Phaneuf was here.

Coatzee, and I think Ferguson will surprise a lot of people. I think Polak will probably spend most of the season injured again, and will be on the 3rd line before Christmas.

I don't think it will be as much of a change in the coaching style, as much as it will be the players actually playing that style under the coach. I have a hard time believing Brian was telling them to transition the puck that way all season last year.

Kootenay and Calgary both lost a lot of key 19/20 year olds this season. I predict that if we do make the playoffs, it will be close, and at the expense of one of those two.

RDRebelsfan
09-18-2008, 11:57 PM
A few teams in our division are not as strong as they were last year. Add to that that this year's version of the Rebels has definitely improved on some of their problem areas from last season and I can't help but think we will see a big increase in wins this year.

Kivisto--because we haven't seen a skilled puck moving defenseman in Red Deer since Phaneuf was here.

Coatzee, and I think Ferguson will surprise a lot of people. I think Polak will probably spend most of the season injured again, and will be on the 3rd line before Christmas.

I don't think it will be as much of a change in the coaching style, as much as it will be the players actually playing that style under the coach. I have a hard time believing Brian was telling them to transition the puck that way all season last year.

Kootenay and Calgary both lost a lot of key 19/20 year olds this season. I predict that if we do make the playoffs, it will be close, and at the expense of one of those two.

playoffs are not division based, it's top 8, there is no way in hell we're finishing ahead of Brandon or Lethbridge. That's 2 there. You can also slot in Regina, Swift Current, 4, Medicine Hat is 5, Calgary will still be better than us so that's 6, Saskatoon will make it that's 7, and Kootenay is still overall a better team overall.

I'd like to see us qualify, but in all realism, I don't see it occuring. Too much inexperience and too many questions.

SectionNDeserter
09-19-2008, 06:47 AM
playoffs are not division based, it's top 8, there is no way in hell we're finishing ahead of Brandon or Lethbridge.It was top 8 last season, and being that it seems to change every other year, I wouldn't count on that till the playoff format is announced.

That's 2 there. You can also slot in Regina, Swift Current, 4, Medicine Hat is 5, Calgary will still be better than us so that's 6, Saskatoon will make it that's 7, and Kootenay is still overall a better team overall.Calgary has a better top line than us, similar defense and shaky goaltending. Kootenay has similar scoring questions that we have now, a young blueline like us, and better goaltending. Even if a top 8 conference format is used again this year, I think we could still have a chance to sneak in at the expense of one of those two teams.

RDRebelsfan
09-19-2008, 04:39 PM
It was top 8 last season, and being that it seems to change every other year, I wouldn't count on that till the playoff format is announced.
Calgary has a better top line than us, similar defense and shaky goaltending. Kootenay has similar scoring questions that we have now, a young blueline like us, and better goaltending. Even if a top 8 conference format is used again this year, I think we could still have a chance to sneak in at the expense of one of those two teams.

No, it is again going to be Top 8 in the conference, I assure you.

No Calgary has more depth than us, you're only looking and seeing of what you know. Who do we have to count on for scoring? Sutter (If he even returns) Ferraro, maybe Mappin could break out, but who after that? Calgary has Bortis, Duval, Kozun, Schultz, Sonne, for top 5 guys to score up front, then factor in upcoming promising young rookies such as Fiddler, Their D is slightly better and Martin Jones is a step up over Clark, Kuemper I'll remain tight lipped on.

This is a topic of realistic predicitions, and realisitically I do not see us doing better than 5th in our division.

As far as Kootenay goes, they've got more scoring than us, Stickland had 4 goals last night, Bailey, Boomer, Sylvester, hell even MAtt Fraser could contribute. Their D on paper doesn't seem spectacular. But if you watched last night they looked good against Spokane.

If we're gonna squeek in it will not be at the expense of these two teams, it'll likely be a battle with Moose Jaw or Prince Albert instead.

This doesn't mean I don't want the team to exceed, and I hope they do, but seriously, right now, too many questions.

SectionNDeserter
09-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Calgary has Bortis, Duval, KozunI agree on these guys, they are proven scorers, and the better top line than ours that I speak of.

Schultz, Sonne,30 and 20 points respectively last season (and probably playing on lines with more experienced players than they will this season), definately not first line numbers. Could improve to first line numbers this season, but then again, a number of Rebels could too....

Their D is slightly betterAlzner is gone, as is Plante pretty much. Seabrook is about the same as Egener, Stone is a little better than Morin, Postma is about as good as Kivisto. I really don't see who is really that much better on that blueline.

Martin Jones is a step up over Clark, Kuemper I'll remain tight lipped on.Yeah, that could be widely debated. Jones had respectable numbers (but not excellent) last season backing up Spence in front of a superstar defense and a solid 2 or 3 forward lines, seeing about 1/3 the number of quality scoring chances against him that Clark did--he will have to be prepared to carry that team a lot more than he did last season.

As far as Kootenay goes, they've got more scoring than us, Stickland had 4 goals last night, Bailey, Boomer, SylvesterAgain, one good line (and change)

hell even MAtt Fraser could contribute.Yep, Ferguson could probably get 50 goals too, but again, all theoretical :D

RDRebelsfan
09-20-2008, 12:37 AM
I agree on these guys, they are proven scorers, and the better top line than ours that I speak of.
30 and 20 points respectively last season (and probably playing on lines with more experienced players than they will this season), definately not first line numbers. Could improve to first line numbers this season, but then again, a number of Rebels could too....

Alzner is gone, as is Plante pretty much. Seabrook is about the same as Egener, Stone is a little better than Morin, Postma is about as good as Kivisto. I really don't see who is really that much better on that blueline.
Yeah, that could be widely debated. Jones had respectable numbers (but not excellent) last season backing up Spence in front of a superstar defense and a solid 2 or 3 forward lines, seeing about 1/3 the number of quality scoring chances against him that Clark did--he will have to be prepared to carry that team a lot more than he did last season.

Again, one good line (and change)

Yep, Ferguson could probably get 50 goals too, but again, all theoretical :D

Sonne was injured for a majority of the season, and Schultz was a rookie on a rather stacked team, both are capable of 60+ in my eyes. I'd put Stone above Morin, Kivisto I still have to wait to give full comparison, Egener is below Seabrook imo.

Save % doesn't lie though, Jones had a good save %, Clark's wasn't too good at all.

SectionNDeserter
09-20-2008, 06:57 AM
Save % doesn't lie though, Jones had a good save %, Clark's wasn't too good at all.It does though actually. If the bulk of your saves are low percentage shots from the perimeter taken while Karl Alzner is punishing you on the boards, your save percentage should be quite a bit higher than the goalie that is having multiple quality chances taken on them in close by players with Cullen Morin waterskiing behind them.

RDRebelsfan
09-20-2008, 01:13 PM
eh...I'll still remain with the difference of opinion.