PDA

View Full Version : Cameron named Captain

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
09-19-2008, 08:50 AM
http://www.raiderhockey.com/news/releases/index.html?article_id=231

Assistant captains are Button, Lamb and Trach. I would have liked to see McDonald a captain for his last season over Lamb.

SaskHockeyFan
09-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Let see, A's go to Lamb, who never played most of last season. Trach who never played the last half of last season and has already been sidelined with a concussion this year. Button, a 17 year old. Cameron may be a good choice but I have a hard time believing that those other three would have the respect from the rest of the teammates that a player wearing a letter would require. Nathan Deck would have been a better choice than Button. My personal opinion is that you have to earn a letter and I don't see how the three "A's" have done that. I don't like when coaches " bestow " letters like it is something used to say thanks or to try and promote a player ( like they are doing for Button). Captains are team leaders on and off the ice and I just don't see those three being the best team leaders available.
That being said I hope they have a great game tonight.

red light special
09-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Cameron...the C? I would nt pick that one at all. He shines at times, at best- but would have picked someone who can lead.

I agree with button for an A, but the others not at all. Deck would be a great pick, and possibly herrod.

Should be a good gm sat in pa.... PA 5 Blades 3.

westbeach55
09-19-2008, 11:30 AM
we can always say who you think should be captain and wear the a's but when your not with the team or down in that dressing room you can't really say that much. sometimes. I think trach was picked cause he leads in the dressing room even though he's had some injury trouble but. it doesn't really matter who is wearing the letters as long as there doing there jobs.

wheaties10
09-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Cameron will be a fine leader, My brother says great things about him!

SaskHockeyFan
09-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Red Light, why would you agree Button for an A. He only started play decent at the end of last year and this year it seems the coaches have knighted him to be the next great one. I say, and it's only my opinion, letters are earned and I don't think Button has done anything yet to " earn " a letter.

SaskHockeyFan
09-19-2008, 04:36 PM
If Button is the best defenceman in years then give him a letter when he becomes that. Not giving letters to potential good players here. Letters should be given to players who have earned the right to lead. Not because a player is good or bad. There are lots of real good players who are not leaders. And some not great players who are excellent leaders. Ask any player on the team if they are glad Button is an assistant captain and I know you will get the answer that they are not happy with the Button choice. Cameron as captain I agree that is probably what the players want. Trach's injury record speaks for itself. Button is 17 years old, was - 20 last year and had 8 assists for points and this earns him the right to be an assistant captain. Wow. I don't see any of the veteran players thinking they want a 17 year old as an "A" but I could be wrong. When you run in to one ask them and see I guess. Quite the slap in the face to Robertson I would say that as a 19 year old he deserves to wear a letter but as a 20 year old he loses it to a 17 year old.

Wildeyes
09-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Cameron will be a good leader when he was on the ice with the training camp he was very vocal with the young players and old. But with your comment on Button he did have a -20 but you have to understand he was only 16 playing on our top d-line he was defending against 18-19-20 yr old of course he would have a high minus. he had to stop the top line on every team.

The letter are given out to the players who show the most leadership on the team which is decided by the coaches and players. They talk to the players and ask who they want to be the C' A's. Button will be a monstar this year.

SaskHockeyFan
09-19-2008, 10:56 PM
I guarantee you Button was not voted in by the team, that's all. Button is a good defenceman but to say he is by far the best is a huge overstatement. He may be in the future but at this point he still seems to be playing second line. Why would the coaches have him on the second line if he was the best they have.
Good game tonight by the boys. Fired on all cylinders including 2 for 3 on the powerplay. I thought Zemlak played very well tonight as well.

SaskHockeyFan
09-19-2008, 11:21 PM
What exactly is it that Button does? Rush the puck? Watch the three forwards line up on the red line with their feet stopped while they wait for Button to skate by. They are all watching him rush the puck because he does it too often. He has to chose his opportunities, not do it every time. Button is a good puck carrying defenceman but he has no physical aspect to his game, he gets pushed off the puck. One hand on his stick a fair bit. I would still take Deck over Button.
Nice scoring touch tonight though by all.

SaskHockeyFan
09-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Oh, I believe he is a player to watch but this thread is about being a leader and an assistant captain of which I don't believe he has earned the right or respect to do. Again, as I said earlier, I am not saying he won't be a good player or perhaps the best in years. I am saying that the roles of "C" and "A" should go to people who have earned them not have the potential to earn them. On that I guess we do disagree.
I think we both agree though that the Raiders had an excellent night last night and hope they can duplicate that one again for game two.

nthestands
09-23-2008, 12:23 AM
I guarantee you Button was not voted in by the team, that's all. Button is a good defenceman but to say he is by far the best is a huge overstatement. He may be in the future but at this point he still seems to be playing second line. Why would the coaches have him on the second line if he was the best they have.
Good game tonight by the boys. Fired on all cylinders including 2 for 3 on the powerplay. I thought Zemlak played very well tonight as well.
Maybe button will campain better at the the next captains election. Until then maybe we should let the kids play and not worry about who is throned the "assistant captain" unless you dont think he can handle the great duties placed upon him.

red light special
09-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Button will lead. Just as good as schultz for sure. He has developed tons since rookie campaign. As far as cameron..he is not a bad player but was rlsd due to behavior/attitude problems. That is not a leader.