PDA

View Full Version : Pats' Captain

nivek_wahs
09-19-2008, 02:16 PM
I guess there is no need for discussion as to who the Pats' Captain will be.

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/features/reginapats/story.html?id=8ca028b0-8f53-4d5b-ae64-91b3dbe6da46

Bartley ready for the 'C'

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, September 17, 2008

REGINA -- Like any good captain, Regina Pats defenceman Victor Bartley knows you can't always steer clear of stormy weather.

Sometimes you have to drive straight through it.

"If something needs to be said, I'm not afraid to step up and say it," said Bartley. "I'll go on the ice, work as hard as I can every shift, play physical and play my game. Hopefully guys respect that and look up to that."

Bartley has been an obvious heir apparent to Regina's captaincy since Logan Pyett signed in the offseason with the Detroit Red Wings. The Pats rotated the 'C' at the start of the preseason, but Bartley was the exclusive owner in each of the team's final four exhibition contests.

All signs point towards that trend continuing for the rest of the campaign.

Bartley will wear the 'C' this weekend when Regina opens the regular season against the Brandon Wheat Kings (Friday night in Brandon and Sunday afternoon at the Brandt Centre). An official announcement on Bartley's promotion is expected when Colten Teubert, Jordan Eberle, Brett Leffler and Matt Delahey -- all candidates to wear letters -- return from NHL camps.

"I'd love to have the 'C' this year and take over for Logan Pyett after the good job he did last year," offered Bartley, who was acquired midway through last season from the Kamloops Blazers. "I wore a letter for two years in Kamloops. Even as a young guy I always kind of thought of myself as a leader with my work ethic and how I play. I just let that (translate) into the room and hopefully guys pay attention."

Bartley is a logical choice for the captaincy given his experience, charisma and maturity -- not to mention the fact that he's one of the premier defencemen in the WHL. Serious consideration was also given to Teubert, who has been regarded as the team's captain of the future since he was drafted first overall in the 2005 bantam draft. Teubert's time may not come until next year, but he's still a key figure within a leadership group that also includes Leffler (the lone returning assistant captain), Eberle, Delahey, Michael MacAngus and Scott Doucet, among others.

"We have about four guys who could be a captain in my mind," noted head coach Dale Derkatch. "They all bring something different."

Some captains are glorified cheerleaders while others have a more serious in-your-face approach. There are also those who simply lead by example.

What category does Bartley fit in?

"I think he leads by example but I also think he can step up and speak his mind when he needs to," said Derkatch. "I wouldn't say he'd be screaming and yelling but a good confident strong voice. He's a very mature young man. I like him."

The captain's title has a few perks, but it also carries an element of burden. That said, Bartley isn't concerned about the added pressure of the job.

"Being 20 years old, I've been (in the WHL) for five years so I understand what the league is all about," he said. "I've had some great captains in my past. Reid Jorgensen (in Kamloops) was probably the best one I ever had and I was his roommate for a full season so I got to see how things went under his wing. Just watching how he prepared and how he got guys ready really helped me.

"I'm not going to change much about myself," continued Bartley. "If I'm going to get the 'C' this year it's because of how I've been playing and how I've acted as a person. If guys are having problems on or off the ice, they can come to me. I'm a pretty good liaison between the coaches and the players."

Asked what traits he values in a captain, Derkatch emphasized the need for him to be a "good teammate." He should also be "an extension of the coaching staff" in the sense that he believes in their message and the direction of the team.

"I think (Bartley) can handle all of that," added Derkatch. "We've seen him really help the young guys, give them a kick in the butt if they need it but also help them in terms of whatever they need, whether it be directions somewhere or a ride or just helping them in terms of being a good mentor. He has been invaluable."