PDA

View Full Version : Game 2 - Brandon @ Regina

Allin44
09-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Another game where we played 20 mins of hockey, looks like Schenn stood up for somebody, Regina guy had a 2 for charging, and then fought Schenn.

I guess the good news is, we are so talented offensively that even if we do have a bit of a deficit going into the third we can make the come back. I'm hoping/guessing that when Robak and Calvert get back we'll have a few less goals in our net. Robak should really stabalize our top 4 d-men, and it'll be nice to have line combos that make sense again, assuming McCrimmon knows what those are.

Hayes looks to have had a good night statistically, 37 shots, 34 saves in 65 minutes.. works out to what.. a 2.75-ish GAA including stopping all 3 shooters in the SO

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Another game where we played 20 mins of hockey, looks like Schenn stood up for somebody, Regina guy had a 2 for charging, and then fought Schenn.

I guess the good news is, we are so talented offensively that even if we do have a bit of a deficit going into the third we can make the come back. I'm hoping/guessing that when Robak and Calvert get back we'll have a few less goals in our net. Robak should really stabalize our top 4 d-men, and it'll be nice to have line combos that make sense again, assuming McCrimmon knows what those are.

Hayes looks to have had a good night statistically, 37 shots, 34 saves in 65 minutes.. works out to what.. a 2.75-ish GAA including stopping all 3 shooters in the SO

...and kicked his ass. Give credit to Schenn for stepping up but Mitchell handed his ass to him.

As solid as you guys are offensively, the wheaties must improve defensively if they expect to compete later through the season. Regina for the most part had no problems walking into brandon's zone, and Hayes can only do so much.

And I think the out come wasnt because of Brandon's skill(which is high)....but its more that the pats let up and gave Brandon alot more room to use their skill. In the end, the 3rd period decided everything, and Regina came up weak in the 3rd after basically dominating the 1st and the 2nd. Credit Brandon for sticking to the game plan, unlike some teams.

And might I say that the officiating was beyond horrible. Many little missed called, but the one that sticks out is that McCue cheapshot on Cerveny. He should be suspended for his hit, a blantant smashing of Cerveny's head in the boards at the end of the bench! He was rolling on the ice in pain and there wasnt even any call! Should have boarding at they VERY LEAST. But thats the officials fault....Not to blame the loss on the officials or anything, but it sure didnt help. Brandon got away with alot, and that ***** Clark was diving all over the place and wieler fell for it every time. Total BS.

Even when considering the wieler and byblow show, it was still a fun game though. Big hits, and nice goals. Competitive game.

WHEATMAN
09-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Yep, it's always the ref's fault eh Roddy?

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-21-2008, 06:13 PM
You can't read, can you?

Allin44
09-21-2008, 06:15 PM
The way it was described on the radio wasnt that it was a hit from behind, it was that he rode him into the turnbuckle on the first pane of glass next to the bench

patsrock83
09-21-2008, 06:21 PM
In regards to the Mitchell fight Schenn won Mitchell just ended up on top at the end. Far cry from getting his ass kicked. Mccue Should have his head kicked in for the hit it Rudy but if it was me i would do the same thing as Nivek said to me during the game if we had a tough guy he gets his head kicked in. Overall good game if we had our guys back we would never give up that three goal lead i know the mini-wheats missing guys too but...

sbtatter
09-21-2008, 07:02 PM
...and kicked his ass. Give credit to Schenn for stepping up but Mitchell handed his ass to him..
You need to watch the fight again, Schenn got hit by 1 punch at the end but that was it,I'd call it a tie. I'd love that Mitchell on my team. I hate to see Schenn have to keep fighting.
And how about 16 year old Miller going toe to toe with 20 year old Bartley, that's waht I like to see!!

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-21-2008, 07:05 PM
You need to watch the fight again, Schenn got hit by 1 punch at the end but that was it,I'd call it a tie. I'd love that Mitchell on my team. I hate to see Schenn have to keep fighting.
And how about 16 year old Miller going toe to toe with 20 year old Bartley, that's waht I like to see!!

Miller almost won that one too. Bartley should stick to big hits and points rather than fighting.

sbtatter
09-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Miller almost won that one too. Bartley should stick to big hits and points rather than fighting.
Bartley's a beast, I wish we had him rather than McCue!!
And Weal, that kid is a talent...

Allin44
09-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Bartley's a beast, I wish we had him rather than McCue!!
And Weal, that kid is a talent...

I concur with this entire post, and that, is a fact

sbtatter
09-21-2008, 07:23 PM

The first 25 minutes we were horrible, no hitting, no emotion (except Miller and Schenn), we need to start better and be a lot more physical. We need a winger in the mould of Mitchell/Schultz, and defencemen like Wright/Bartley who will hit and fight. We have played 2 periods of hockey out of 6, and thanks to Regia missing there bet 4 players we have got away with it. It needs to change quickly. Drop King, call up Depape. Get physical. And Schenn, my favourite still looks slow and out of sorts.....

Allin44
09-21-2008, 07:30 PM
The first 25 minutes we were horrible, no hitting, no emotion (except Miller and Schenn), we need to start better and be a lot more physical. We need a winger in the mould of Mitchell/Schultz, and defencemen like Wright/Bartley who will hit and fight. We have played 2 periods of hockey out of 6, and thanks to Regia missing there bet 4 players we have got away with it. It needs to change quickly. Drop King, call up Depape. Get physical. And Schenn, my favourite still looks slow and out of sorts.....

Ya what do you think the deal with Schenn is. You can't say hes out of shape or needs to catch up, he played hockey all summer(I hope hes not tired). It almost looks to me like hes trying to do too much, trying to get too fancy etc, same for Glennie. Hopefully when they get back Calvert that line gels quickly again, can't see why they wouldn't.

The lines that make the most logic to me are:

Glennie - Schenn - King(you can cut king when Calvert is back, please)
Lowry - Clark - Hall
Lewadniuk - Green - Fehr - why are these guys separated?
Jeffries - Cowan - whoever - I love the game Del Cowan plays, and it makes no sense to have a Nate Green on the 4th line with the speed and talent he has.

sbtatter
09-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Ya what do you think the deal with Schenn is. You can't say hes out of shape or needs to catch up, he played hockey all summer(I hope hes not tired). It almost looks to me like hes trying to do too much, trying to get too fancy etc, same for Glennie. Hopefully when they get back Calvert that line gels quickly again, can't see why they wouldn't.

The lines that make the most logic to me are:

Glennie - Schenn - King(you can cut king when Calvert is back, please)
Lowry - Clark - Hall
Lewadniuk - Green - Fehr - why are these guys separated?
Jeffries - Cowan - whoever - I love the game Del Cowan plays, and it makes no sense to have a Nate Green on the 4th line with the speed and talent he has.
I'm not sure what's up with Schenn, he just seems slow, none of his moves are working, he's not winning face offs, I guess he'll get back to last years form when Calvert returns? What does everyone else think?
my lines are
Depape (or Stone) Schenn Glennie (until Calvert gets back)
Lowry Clark Hall
Lewadniuk Green Fehr
Jeffries Cowan Ciarelli

As far as defence goes, my top 6 at the moment are
Aulie, Erb, Melnychuk, McCue, Miller, Bestland, GD, Robidoux

I have no idea why they split the Green, Fehr, Lewadniuk line up, it was very good.
If Jeffries and Cowan want to stay on his team, they need to start hitting and fighting, don't let Schenn and Glennie fight. The pats guys call Aulie a gentle giant, he needs to get way more dirty and physical.

WHEATMAN
09-21-2008, 07:47 PM
I agree with you on King, he better start playing hockey or Kelly should show him the door, he is way too soft and it showed today as he was easily outmuscled, he has no aggresivness. I do agree that Schenn doesn't seem the same yet, but atleast it was an improvement over friday when he seemed far worse. Here is hoping we can get Calvert and Robak soon so they can get some practice before next week's games against the Warriors, has anyone heard anything new on the Mayorov front?

hopeful lineup for next week:

Glennie-Schenn-Calvert
Lowry-Clark-Ciarelli
Lewadniuk-Green-Fehr
Cowan-Jeffries-King

Aulie-Robak
Erb-Melnychuk
Bestland-Miller

Caliguiri
Hildebrand

sbtatter
09-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Hayes looked shaky in the first, but ended up with a way better save % than Joe. I get the feeling that Hayes is the best talent, but Joe a better team guy, leaving Kelly with a difficult decision....

Vik
09-21-2008, 09:00 PM
You guys really shouldn't complain about officiating. I'm stuck watching MJHL hockey and ... I mean ... wow. They don't even know where face-offs should go.

Although the announcer is interesting. Four minutes for "accidental high sticking". Do you get more if you mean to do it? Two minutes for "aggression". I take it he meant instigator. Maybe he was trying to say "Aggressor" or something.

Hey, you think if I asked Kelly really nice he'd let the Blizzard have Erb?

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
09-21-2008, 09:11 PM
In regards to the Mitchell fight Schenn won Mitchell just ended up on top at the end. Far cry from getting his ass kicked. Mccue Should have his head kicked in for the hit it Rudy but if it was me i would do the same thing as Nivek said to me during the game if we had a tough guy he gets his head kicked in. Overall good game if we had our guys back we would never give up that three goal lead i know the mini-wheats missing guys too but...

His head kicked in? Wow. From what was said on the radio, McCue hit Rudy into the partition and was just finishing his check.

As for the defense of the Wheatkings..we'll be fine, it's only the 2nd game.

billyjames169
09-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Hayes looked shaky in the first, but ended up with a way better save % than Joe. I get the feeling that Hayes is the best talent, but Joe a better team guy, leaving Kelly with a difficult decision....

Was at the game with my kid tonight. At first Hayes got some bad breaks then he setteled in like we say him in camp and pre-season. If it was not for Hayes play in the third and OT it would have been 8 - 3 Regina, he stopped several breaks and point blank shots, he is fun to watch. In the shoot out he was on fire, lets see if he can carry it over to next weekend

Joe Hallenback
09-22-2008, 08:48 AM
My thoughts

Brandon looks a little bit off right now. Even saying that they still won both of these games while maybe playing a combined 25 minutes of hockey.

Clark and Lowry playing ok. Need to be more consistent but when they are on they are dominant

Schenn and Glennie. They have so much skill but they are really missing Calvert who seems to do alot of the little things for them. When he gets back next week look out.

Green and Fehr. I think they are the most consistent forwards right now and just a great third line

Lewdaniuk has shown some flashes but needs to be a more consistent player

Jefferies,Cowan,Hale,Ciarelli and King need to show more. Right now they are all underperforming and some of the kids are playing alot better right now

Stone and Hall have both been good for rookies. I like Stone alot better because of his size and willingness to hit. I would keep both of them and drop some of the guys above.

Aulie. Playing like a Vet. When he is on the ice the other team really has no offense.

Melnychuk. More assertive and as it should be for the second year man. Going to have a good year and rise up the draft lists.

McCue and Erb. Basically fighting it out for the last 20 year old spot. I think Erb is better with the puck but McCue is much Tougher. I don't about you but I loved the hit and beatdown he did yesterday

Robidoux and Bestland. Neither has shown me much but Bestland is a little better I think

Grill. Sometimes he looks alot like Robak and Melnychuk and other times he looks like garbage.

Miller. What a player we got here. Some huge hits and good scrap on his debut. Moves the puck well and is a good skater.

Joe C and Hayes. Honestly never have been impressive but I think Hayes looked a lot better after his shaky first 5 minutes. The weak spot this year will be goaltending.

My lines after Robak and Calvert get back.

Clark Lowry Stone
Glennie Shenn Calvert
Fehr Green Lewdaniuk
Jefferies Hall Cowan
Hale/King

Robak Aulie
Melnychuk Bestland
McCue Miller
Grill

Hayes
Joe C

Now from what I hear about Mayorov is that there is a good chance he will end up in Brandon. We should hear something at the end of the week because it seems like he isn't strong enough to play in the NHL or AHL yet and after having Brule flop because they rushed him they do not want that to happen again. So keep your fingers crossed

Joe Hallenback
09-22-2008, 08:52 AM
I would also like to say Regina looked very good and will get better once they get a few of there vets back. Weal is a great talent and creates so much offense out there. Miller and Pym are also looking solid on the backend. I expect to see them up in the standings this year

Vik
09-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Now from what I hear about Mayorov is that there is a good chance he will end up in Brandon. We should hear something at the end of the week because it seems like he isn't strong enough to play in the NHL or AHL yet and after having Brule flop because they rushed him they do not want that to happen again. So keep your fingers crossed
I'm not surprised to hear that. Apparently last year he was playing in a low level league (I heard it's probably below Junior A) so putting him in the AHL would be a pretty tough step up.

Add his speed to the Clark - Lowry line and that is going to be beautiful.
Mayorov - Clark - Lowry
Calvert - Schenn - Glennie
Lewadniuk - Fehr - Green

Best top 9 in the league.

wheat_city96
09-23-2008, 02:09 AM
what do you think kelly will do to the roster if we get the mem cup?

what will our team look like by then?