View Full Version : Peter Anholt coaching again

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
09-24-2008, 11:52 AM
http://www.paherald.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=174423&sc=5

Anholt back behind P.A. bench print this article
Former Raider coach, takes reins of bantam AA Pirates
TYLER NEISZ
The Prince Albert Daily Herald

Peter Anholt is behind a Prince Albert bench again.

The veteran WHL coach has assumed the reins of the bantam AA Prince Albert Venice House Pirates.

Anholt comes with a wealth of hockey knowledge and experience behind the bench. He started his coaching career as an assistant with the 1986-87 Prince Albert Raiders, a team that inclued the likes of Mike Modano, former world junior and Regina Pats head coach Curtis Hunt and many other future NHLers. Anholt went on to become head coach of the Raiders in the 1988-1989 season before moving on to become bench boss with Seattle and Red Deer. He returned to Prince Albert in the 2002-03 season until his contract was not renewed by former general manager Donn Clark.

During his final tenure in Prince Albert, Anholt compiled a record of 137-153-16-24.

Last season, Anholt spend some time scouting for the Red Deer Rebels and really enjoyed the bantam level of hockey - one of the reasons why he has decided to get back into coaching.

"I feel I have something good to offer these kids and also to give back to the minor hockey community here in Prince Albert is important also. As a parent, I'm happy to be able to coach my son this year as well."

Anholt insists that this is not just a one-year coaching situation for him.

"People will say that I'm coaching the club just because my son Matt is on the team and to gain him exposure. That isn't the case.

"Matt has earned every bit of hockey success he has gained so far. and I'm coaching here because I think I will enjoy it at the grassroots level."

Even as a longtime WHL coach, Anholt is quick to point out that he has lots to learn and feels fortunate to be surrounded by great people to help with the learning curve.

As for the season ahead, the Pirates will look to a handful of second-year players, including Matt Anholt. Peter expects the second-year players to contribute as leaders for the club to have any sort of success.

He also suggests the Pirates will take a look at some 14-year-olds who played in bantam A ranks last season. Although the 1994-born players will be the keys to success, Anholt says the 1995-born group in Prince Albert is extremely talented and will make some noise in bantam. Andrew Manson, Josh Elliot and Jason Duret are among the 13-year-olds to watch.

"We believe we can compete in the top echelon of the standings this year if we play hard each night and with structure," said Anholt. "We have to pay the price, work the forecheck.

"We have a bigger team this year, so if we can get after teams and play physical, that will help quite a bit."

I feel I have something good to offer these kids and also to give back to the minor hockey community here in Prince Albert.