PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Benn Blogs from Dallas Stars Training Camp

apsco17
09-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Training Camp Blog: Day Seven
Inside the Dallas Stars 2008 Training Camp
Dallas Stars Staff
Sep 25, 2008, 1:38 PM EDT

Throughout training camp, different members of the Dallas Stars will sit down and share their thoughts on the day’s events leading up until Opening Night.

Day 7: September 25, 2008
Left Wing Jamie Benn

I’m almost through a week of my first NHL training camp. Coming in, I just thought I should come out and work hard and do my best and just try to take everything in and learn as much as I could from the good players like Mike Modano, Brad Richards, Mike Ribeiro and Brenden Morrow. It’s a great experience, for sure, and I’m just trying to take it all in and have some fun. It’s been an amazing experience so far.

I didn’t really know, coming in, what the coaching staff’s plans were as far as how long they were going to keep me in camp, but I’m definitely glad to still be here and glad to be in the lineup tonight for the game down at the AAC. It’s definitely a little nerve-wracking, but I’m looking forward to it and I’m getting excited. It’s going to be nice. It’s a step up, for sure, but it’s a lot of fun out there, and the guys help you out a lot and they make it easier for you. I’m really looking forward to the game tonight. I’m playing on a line with Aaron Gagnon and Lauri Tukonen. I think we’ve got some good chemistry together, and we’re just going to go out there and work hard. We’re all young guys, and we’re all looking forward to it.

I played in the rookie game Tuesday night in St. Louis, and it went pretty well. I didn’t play as well as I thought I should have, and I thought our team came out a bit slow, but that’s the way things go sometimes. Unfortunately we didn’t get the outcome we wanted, but it was definitely a good experience for all of us. Flying in for a game was a new, and very welcome, experience too. Definitely beats the bus!

As far as camp overall, like I said I’m just trying to take it all in – it’s kind of surreal right now. I’m just trying to learn as much as I can before I go back to my team in Kelowna (WHL) and show the younger guys how to do it there. Dallas also signed me to an entry-level contract this summer, which has definitely made things more real. It’s a good feeling for sure, but I’m also trying not to think about it too much, and just go out there and play. It’s been a crazy year, but things are going well and hopefully they’ll keep going that way.

apsco17
09-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Benn is expected back for the game against Kamloops on Sat Sept 27/08. Good news for Kelowna.