PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on slow start to the season.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I have noticed that people are kind of starting to panic, but alot of them forget that this is a new team, with like 30 percent new players and all the lines being shuffled. Nevermind the fact that there is a new coach implementing new systems.

Hell, we still need to make the final cuts and trade off one (or two) goaltenders. This team is still a work in progress. Kootenay went though the same thing last year with a new coach (5-10 in the first 15 games of the season) and they did fine last year(their former coach Clouston that this new guy replaced is also in the Ottawa system as the AHL head coach).

Maybe after 20 games we can start panicing if it continues like this, but there have only been 4 games, and most are only basing this on the two home games they have seen. Patience is the key, especially in what is supposed to be a rebuilding season after how much this team has lost in players.

This is expected. We assume our team should be beating PA, but we have next to no chemistry and everyone is getting used to the new system. We cant win games on individual efforts alone. It will take a little bit of time to become more familiar with the way things go, and players to form chemistry and familiarity teams like PA already had done last season.

I will post more thoughts about players, and theories about the team later. Might throw in some line combos if I feel like it.

What do you guys think?

CJSenterprise4
09-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Yet the Pats were terrible last night. Maybe the D men should play D instead of trying to play wing. Way too many guys pinching and trying to go end to end. Team just doesn't have enough chemistry yet and should come together. Rowat played really well and looked quicker moving across the crease. He has never been good in shoot-outs and hard to blame him for a 3 on 0 goal...the 2nd goal of the game and the first one on a breakaway. P A really didn't play that well at all other than (luongo) Zemlak back there. Not to mention PA got the luck with Bernhart's shootout goal rolling on its side into the net after it hit Rowat's pad...that was a joke.

witness
09-29-2008, 09:02 AM
I didn't think the Pats played badly on Sat. On the most part they outplayed the Raiders. Neural zone turnovers are killers. The Raiders goaltender played really well and was the difference in the game.
I thought that Weal, Eberle, Bartley and Hanson were good. I expect more from Doucet, MacAngus, Mitchell and Cerveny (I hope that will come).
I am mildly surprised with the play of Bretkreuz and Hood. I thought they were effective given the little ice time they got.
I really like Koltyn Miller. He plays like a vet. Up until late in the second period, he was the only defenceman who didn't turn over the puck.
All in all, I don't see the reason to panick. This is a team that is picked to be a .500 team. The rookies are still feeling their way around and the 5 guys back from the NHL camps need time to at least unpack their bags. I think the most pressing issue is the Power Play. They need to start to produce. It is easy offence for guys like Bartley, Eberle and Weal. They just didn't have enough movement to open anything up from the point.

dsquared
09-29-2008, 01:12 PM
The Pats looked like the Pats of last year and the year before - I think they have that chemistry down perfectly. They still can't exit their zone to save their lives, they still take undisciplined penalties, they continue to lose battles along the boards, they slow up in the neutral zone on odd man rushes allowing the advantage to breakdown, offensive players stand still when they are in the opposition's end and lastly the can't remember that a hockey game is 60 minutes and take their foot off the gas and let other teams back into the game (read Brandon). I expect another loss on Wednesday.
It is one thing to be a tough team but there is a time and a place for penalties and a time to settle the score later in the game or the season - a little self control would do wonders.

scoreboard
09-29-2008, 02:30 PM
It Is Nice To See That There Is Someone Out There That Things The Same Way I Do. Thanks - Disquared.

dsquared
10-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Expected a loss at the Warrior game but instead they played a much better game and won - could somebody pass the gravy - this crow tastes terrible.....

Dogstink
10-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed the game against MJ. Much improved effort by the team. Weal and Eberle could be a dynamic tandem on offense - a real treat to see them develop over the season.