PDA

View Full Version : next round on shaw?

kelownakarl
04-06-2005, 08:57 PM
what series will they be showing?

Mileflames
04-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Hitmen - shaw will stay with the Hitmen till they are eliminated or make it to the Memorial Cup

Beaner
04-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Yep, biggest TV market left.

Orv
04-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Stupid move by Shaw. I think Nielson11 will explain.

Jovorock
04-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Shaw WHL Coverage
Ron Robison, Commissioner of the Western Hockey League and Shaw Cablesystems today announced that the entire WHL Eastern Conference Semi-Final series of the 2005 WHL Playoffs between the Brandon Wheat Kings and the Calgary Hitmen will be televised live on Shaw TV throughout Western Canada.

Shaw TV will not be carrying the Rockets in the 2nd round although they will be heard on local radio and audio from the Rocket's web site.

The first game of the series begins Friday, April 8th at 5:30 PM from The Keystone Centre in Brandon, Manitoba. The following is the full series schedule, pacific time.

Brandon Wheat Kings vs. Calgary Hitmen
8-Apr Calgary @ Brandon 5:30
9-Apr Calgary @ Brandon 5:30
12-Apr Brandon @ Calgary 6:00
13-Apr Brandon @ Calgary 6:00
15-Apr Calgary @ Brandon 5:30 X
18-Apr Brandon @ Calgary 6:00 X
20-Apr Calgary @ Brandon 5:00 X

X - If necessary

The_Vulk
04-07-2005, 04:36 PM
I was almost hoping TSN or Sportnet would have picked it up instead.

At least those of us whom use satelite instead of cable television would have been able to see those games then, as well as those whom have cable, since TSN and Sportnets are on both.

Sadly, Shaw Cable channel 10 is only on Shaw Cable. :(

Chipper
04-07-2005, 05:26 PM
I was almost hoping TSN or Sportnet would have picked it up instead.

At least those of us whom use satelite instead of cable television would have been able to see those games then, as well as those whom have cable, since TSN and Sportnets are on both.

Sadly, Shaw Cable channel 10 is only on Shaw Cable. :(
If you have starchoice you can watch it on chanel 299 expressview? I don't know if they pick it up.

Nielson11
04-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Yup it's Calgary and Brandon in the 2nd round.

This does and doesn't make sense.

A) Calgary is the biggest market left so ofcourse the advertising money will be there.
B) Brandon doesn't even have a SHAW station, so it looks like they will be taking the Saskatoon crew out to Brandon.

And yes Calgary will be the team on Shaw until they are eliminated, althought I wouldn't doubt if Shaw covers a Kelowna-kootenay East Final, if it does happen.

Anyway that's what I know, enjoy the second round, we'll be golfing here in Lethbridge.

Nielson11

The_Vulk
04-08-2005, 04:23 PM
If you have starchoice you can watch it on chanel 299 expressview? I don't know if they pick it up.
Nope.

I got ExpressVu, and have not heard of them picking it up.

almosttyme4hockey
04-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Nope.

I got ExpressVu, and have not heard of them picking it up.

I wouldn't imagine they will.

Shaw owns part if not all of Star Choice, so it would only make sense to put it there

RunTheGoalie
04-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Stupid move by Shaw. I think Nielson11 will explain.

Though I am sure it would have been a fantastic move by Shaw if it was Lethbridge-Brandon. :rolleyes:

C.F
04-11-2005, 08:47 AM
Though I am sure it would have been a fantastic move by Shaw if it was Lethbridge-Brandon. :rolleyes:I think Brandon is why it was a bad move. Brandon doesn't even have shaw!

Not a suprising pick though. With Vancouver out, Calgary is now the biggest tv market left.

Orv
04-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Though I am sure it would have been a fantastic move by Shaw if it was Lethbridge-Brandon. :rolleyes:

C.F. is exactly right. It is the whole Brandon choice that makes it a stupid move. There is no Shaw in Brandon, so they have to take their mobile from Saskatoon all the way to Brandon instead of just to PA. I'm sure the advertising money from having the Hitmen shown is good but it has to be expensive for Shaw to take their all their equipment, the whole crew and whatever else they need from Saskatoon and travel 5 hours (I'm guessing, I have no idea how long). That's not to mention 3 days and 3 nights of food and hotels just for games 1 and 2. Just seems easier to take the Calgary crew to the Hat then the Saskatoon crew to PA. Has to be less expensive.

It would have been an even dumber move to do a Lethbridge/Brandon series if there was one. It wouldn't matter which teams it was but to do games from Brandon is stupid in my opinion.

RunTheGoalie
04-11-2005, 05:46 PM
C.F. is exactly right. It is the whole Brandon choice that makes it a stupid move. There is no Shaw in Brandon, so they have to take their mobile from Saskatoon all the way to Brandon instead of just to PA. I'm sure the advertising money from having the Hitmen shown is good but it has to be expensive for Shaw to take their all their equipment, the whole crew and whatever else they need from Saskatoon and travel 5 hours (I'm guessing, I have no idea how long). That's not to mention 3 days and 3 nights of food and hotels just for games 1 and 2. Just seems easier to take the Calgary crew to the Hat then the Saskatoon crew to PA. Has to be less expensive.

It would have been an even dumber move to do a Lethbridge/Brandon series if there was one. It wouldn't matter which teams it was but to do games from Brandon is stupid in my opinion.

I'm rather curious why 5 hours from Saskatoon to Brandon is so much greater a financial burden than 3 1/2 hours from Calgary to Medicine Hat? These people would not be driving back to Calgary after the games, so the hotels and meals still would have to be paid.

The "it's stupid to go to Brandon" attitude is a knee-jerk reaction to a situation that exists in both series. The cost is virtually the same, so you go where there greater chance of revenue is, and that is the largest markets.

Besides, wouldnt surprise me if the camera people are from Winnipeg rather than Saskatoon. That is an even shorter trip than between Calgary and Medicine Hat. The play by play crew is from Calgary, and since Mark Stiles would have been there anyway, as he normally does play by play for Fan960 radio, there is no incremental cost there either.

Mileflames
04-11-2005, 07:38 PM
CALGARY is why, Shaw has to do barely any work to broadcast the games form Calgary. Why Shaw building is a 20min drive, why the dome is set up for TV all the time, makes it easy for Shaw, plug in the equipment and go. And the big hockey market.

The cost Shaw has for going to Brandon is made up in Calgary.

Mileflames
04-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Besides, wouldnt surprise me if the camera people are from Winnipeg rather than Saskatoon. That is an even shorter trip than between Calgary and Medicine Hat. The play by play crew is from Calgary, and since Mark Stiles would have been there anyway, as he normally does play by play for Fan960 radio, there is no incremental cost there either.

The fan960 radio said that the productions manager or something like that is the guy that does the Scoreboard in Calgary.

There is about a 20 man crew.

Nielson11
04-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Doing Shaw games in Calgary is very simple.

They simply take game action feed from the Jumbo Tron, and then cut in with their intermission stuff etc.

It's Calgary the rest of the way, although it will be interesting if it's Calgary - Med Hat East final...because I've heard that Shaw really really doesn't want to go the Hat because of the shotty rink conditions etc. , could just be a rumor, but my sources are pretty solid.

So if it's Kelowna-Kootenay that could be a possibilty.

I;ve also ehard they may do both conference finals, once again that is yet to be decided.

Nielson11

Kassian
04-20-2005, 09:10 PM
So if it's Kelowna-Kootenay that could be a possibilty.

I;ve also ehard they may do both conference finals, once again that is yet to be decided.

Nielson11

Any update on this? Or are they just going to show the Kelowna and Kootenay series?

I'd much rather watch the Prince Albert and Brandon one...

C.F
04-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Any update on this? Or are they just going to show the Kelowna and Kootenay series?

I'd much rather watch the Prince Albert and Brandon one...
I pretty sure Shaw announced today during the Wheaty's/Hitmen series that they'll be doing the Kelowna/Brandon series and most likely both(I may have just been hearing things). It would make sense to at least show the WCF, with the rivarly and all.

Kassian
04-20-2005, 10:18 PM
I pretty sure Shaw announced today during the Wheaty's/Hitmen series that they'll be doing the Kelowna/Brandon series and most likely both(I may have just been hearing things). It would make sense to at least show the WCF, with the rivarly and all.

After the game tonight they said the Kelowna and Kootenay series would be on Shaw on Friday night. So I know they plan on showing that series.

But Nielson mentioned something about Shaw possibly showing both series. So I just wanted to ask and see. I hope they are able to show both somehow...

C.F
04-20-2005, 10:19 PM
"Kelowna Brandon Series"

Hah, sorry. I was multi-tasking.

Beaner
04-21-2005, 12:19 AM
But Nielson mentioned something about Shaw possibly showing both series. So I just wanted to ask and see. I hope they are able to show both somehow...

Well, considering that both series are being played on the same days, even with the 2hr Time difference between time zones, I doubt they would try and show both games. Othewrwise they risk missing the start of the BC games, or even worse cutting out of the Eastern games near the end of the game to get the start of the BC games.

Maybe they will show Bran/PA for Alberta East and KEL/KOO for BC?

I guess another option is they show one of the series on a time delay.

Kassian
04-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Well, considering that both series are being played on the same days, even with the 2hr Time difference between time zones, I doubt they would try and show both games. Othewrwise they risk missing the start of the BC games, or even worse cutting out of the Eastern games near the end of the game to get the start of the BC games.

Yeah, I thought about that after I originally posted that. I guess it is most likely that they will show the Kelowna and Kootenay series in BC, and the Prince Albert and Brandon series in Alberta and Manitoba. If they even show more than one series at all.

As of right now the Kelowna and Kootenay series is a given. So I guess I'll just expect that to be the only one televised until/if I hear otherwise.

fightstrap50
04-21-2005, 12:31 PM
I saw the big asss shaw truck roling into the Rec-Plex this morning.
I BELIEVE!!! GO ICE GO!!!

westbeach55
04-21-2005, 06:08 PM
rockets and ice shown on shaw for sure. im dissapointed there not going to show the raiders vs brandon series or at least there is no word yet.

Kassian
04-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Kal Tire WHL Western Conference Championship Series - Kootenay vs. Kelowna - LIVE ON SHAW TV

Created: Apr 21, 2005

CALGARY, AB - Ron Robison, Commissioner of the Western Hockey League and Shaw Cablesystems today announced that the entire Kal Tire WHL Western Conference Championship Series between the defending MasterCard Memorial Cup Champion Kelowna Rockets and the WHL Regular Season Champion and 2002 MasterCard Memorial Cup Champion Kootenay Ice will be televised live on Shaw TV throughout Western Canada. The series will also be broadcast in the Portland area on Comcast 14.

The first game of the series begins Friday, April 22nd at 7:00 PM MDT from the Cranbrook Recreation Complex.

The following is the full series Schedule:

Kootenay Ice vs. Kelowna Rockets
Friday, April 22 Kelowna at Kootenay 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 23 Kelowna at Kootenay 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday, April 26 Kootenay at Kelowna 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday, April 27 Kootenay at Kelowna 7:00 p.m.
Friday, April 29 Kelowna at Kootenay 7:00 p.m.*
Sunday, May 1 Kootenay at Kelowna 5:00 p.m.*
Tuesday, May 3 Kelowna at Kootenay 7:00 p.m.*

* - If Necessary
All Times Local

The entire 2005 WHL Playoff schedule can be found at www.whl.ca

Kassian
05-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Any update on whether Shaw will show the WHL finals? Or will it be on pay per view like Nielson speculated previously?

C.F
05-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Any update on whether Shaw will show the WHL finals? Or will it be on pay per view like Nielson speculated previously?
On Mojo, the word is that they will be showing the final series. Nothing's official though.

westbeach55
05-02-2005, 08:58 AM
I hope they show the pa and bran game 7 on shaw

Kassian
05-02-2005, 02:39 PM
I hope they show the pa and bran game 7 on shaw

Me too. But I have my doubts.

Thanks for the info C.F. I wasn't able to listen to Mojo today...slept in too late. :(