PDA

View Full Version : Priestner a Wheatking

Scout
09-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Kamloops and Brandon made a deal today where goaltender James Priestner 17, is now a Wheatking for a 3rd round selection in the 2009 bantam draft. Priestner, who returned home to Edmonton awaiting a trade is expected in Brandon Tuesday.

Scout

Scout
09-29-2008, 11:32 AM
WHEAT KINGS ADD PRIESTNER
Monday, September 29, 2008

– The Western Hockey League’s Brandon Wheat Kings have announced the acquisition of high touted 17-year old netminder James Priestner from the Kamloops Blazers.

In exchange for the 6’ 175 lb Edmonton product, the Blazers receive a third round pick in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft.

A second round pick of the Blazers (31st overall) in the 2006 draft, James was the second goaltender chosen that year.

“Acquiring James provides us with a top young goaltender,” says Wheat Kings’ general manager and head coach Kelly McCrimmon. “James comes as a highly regarded prospect and we look forward to having him join our organization.”

As a 16-year old rookie, Priestner appeared in 24 games for the Blazers last season, compiling a respectable 3.41 goals against average, an .873 save percentage and a record of 6-12-0-1. He also played in one game as a 15-year old prospect in 2006-07. That same season, he posted a 3.49 goals against average as a member of the Edmonton AAA CAC Midgets.

McCrimmon expects Priestner to arrive in Brandon on Tuesday.

Today’s announcement leaves Brandon with twenty-seven players on its active roster including three goalkeepers. In addition to Priestner, the Wheat Kings have veterans Andrew Hayes (18) and Joe Caligiuri (19).

In related news, the Wheat Kings lost two veterans during this past weekend’s 2-game series with Moose Jaw. 19-year old left-winger Jay Fehr sustained a shoulder injury in Friday’s opener and will be reevaluated later today while overage defenceman Chad Erb is out indefinitely after taking a slapshot to the face in Saturday’s game.

The Wheat Kings return to the ice this afternoon as they begin preparations for this weekend’s games at Westman Place against Red Deer on Friday and the Regina Pats on Saturday.

Scout

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
09-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Ha, Caliguiri isn't in his comfort zone anymore; time to smarten up kid. I'm glad we acquired James. I guess this weekend we'll see who really wants to remain a W'king. Now that we addressed that area, lets package something up for a defenseman.

Whats the severity of Fehr and Erb?

Allin44
09-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Ha, Caliguiri isn't in his comfort zone anymore; time to smarten up kid. I'm glad we acquired James. I guess this weekend we'll see who really wants to remain a W'king. Now that we addressed that area, lets package something up for a defenseman.

Whats the severity of Fehr and Erb?

Fehr is being re-evaluated today, but from what Ive heard its probably not good. Erb just lost a few chicklets and probably will play again at some point soon with a full cage while hes got stitches in would be my guess

The Wheatiemaniac
09-29-2008, 04:34 PM
I worry about Fehr's most because of how he left the ice on Friday. His left arm looked like a long sock hanging out of a laundry basket. Not a good sign. He's had shoulder problems before. Him and Lewadniuk play very well together. Erb is tougher than a 2 dollar steak, so I doubt he'll be out for long unless the jaw is broken, and there's no report to that effect. We need every veteran we have for leadership.
Let's all just hope for the best.

WorkHorse
09-30-2008, 01:17 PM
McCrimmon expects Priestner to arrive in Brandon on Tuesday.

Nice to come in and see a familiar face. Hayes and Priestner instructed summer camps together with the Goalie Center in Sherwood Park this past summer. Both have trained with John Stevenson (Blades Goal Coach) and Blaine Russell (Oil Kings Goal Coach) for some time.