PDA

View Full Version : Plante Responds

Scout
09-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Plante trades earlier demand for new outlook

John Down, Calgary Herald
Published: Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Hitmen are happy to have Alex Plante, shown at Monday's practice at the 'Dome, back in their lineup.

Dean Bicknell, Calgary Herald

It's all water under the bridge now.

Alex Plante is no longer waiting for the Calgary Hitmen to trade him. Whatever differences existed between the 19-year-old defenceman and the Western Hockey League club have been patched up and the burly six-foot-four, 225-pounder is eager to start logging big minutes.

"This is where I started, this is where I want to finish," said Plante, emphatically, following Monday's practice at the Pengrowth Saddledome.

"We have a good team here, a lot of good young guys coming into the mix and I want to help this team go forward this season."

Plante failed to report for last month's training camp, telling general manager Kelly Kisio he'd like to be traded. Part of the reason, he confessed, was because of an injury riddled campaign in which he got into the lineup for just 36 regular-season games and another 15 playoff dates.

His statistics dipped from eight goals and 38 points during the 2006-07 season to one goal and one assist. The back injury, along with an ensuing concussion, not only kept him off stride but kindled frustration.

"It obviously was a bit of struggle last season and I hold myself accountable for that," he said, pooh-poohing suggestions he blamed the Hitmen for a frustrating campaign. "After talking with agents and what not, we decided it'd be best if I went to Edmonton and just skated with the Oilers players, which really helped me prepare for the Oilers camp.

"It was a good head start and a good opportunity, so I decided to take it. Having said that, once Oilers camp came to a close, me and (Hitmen coach Dave Lowry) had a talk. Things worked out, we're on the same page and this is where I want to be."

Needless to say, the Hitmen are happy to have the big blueliner back. You just don't snap your fingers and replace a National Hockey League first-round draft pick.

"We're a better team when Alex is in our lineup and we knew that since Day 1," said Lowry. "I think it was obvious if you watched Saturday's game."

Plante played his first game Saturday, was a physical force defensively and picked up an assist in a 3-2 shootout win over the Kootenay Ice. It appears he's not only come back to the form of his 2006-07 draft season, but has improved considerably on his mobility. That's no fluke. He not only helped his dad, Cam, with his summer hockey schools, but also was a participant.

"I think I actually attended about four myself," he smiled. "All focusing on skating, mobility, that sort of stuff and it really helped me, especially since I missed so much last year. Obviously, mobility is a weaker part of my game, being a bigger guy and having to grow into myself, so it was a good summer for me."

"I just want to get back to where I was, contribute more on the offensive side of things and be the solid player who takes up a lot of minutes, shuts down the other team's top guy and really help this team go far."

Scout