PDA

View Full Version : Any news?

Tinner
04-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Whats the latest rumor or truth about the Ams staying in Tri-Cities. Is Porters support and sponsors still on board?

Scout
04-07-2005, 05:14 PM
I got word today that the group of 14 have sent a second proposal to the league on their intentions to buy the Americans. They have also sent letters to all the teams on their proposal. The problem is Porter i'm told seems disinterested in selling and is not returning calls. Herminston Fan: Have you got any word on this?

Scout

HAF
04-08-2005, 06:11 AM
I havent been on the computer much the last few days but I'll see what I can dig up. If anyone would know it would be Brad but he has been a little scarce around here lately. Its a shame too, He's about the most knowledgable hockey guy I've ever met.
As for Porter, I guess he'd rather go broke running the team into the ground than breaking even selling it to DEDICATED owners. I guess that blows his whole story of wanting to relocate for financial hardships endured in Tri. I still think the only reason he bought the team in the first place was to try to relocate it to western B.C.

Chipper
04-12-2005, 11:58 AM
I heard an interview last night on the ICE game from Big Ed Chenowyth, he said this will all be decided by the end of the week. To make his interview short he basicly said that there is still options the league is looking at.
A. The americans could still go to Chiliwack
B. The Americans buying group could get a expansion franchise bringing 21 teams to the league, while the curent owners would be able to move the Ams franchise to the Chiliwack area.
C. The Edmonton deal is still on the table to buy any franchise for 4 million.

Many options still on the table for the comisioners to look at from what I heard the bottom line is that the curent owners are going to have to be forced to make a decision as they feel that they are now sitting ducks in TriCity and can not make it there as there trust with the fans is gone.

I hope that the TriCity area can still keep the franchise there or get a expansion and keep local owners at the helm. It will all be done for this year anyway by the end of the week acording to Ed.

Beaner
04-12-2005, 12:11 PM
B. The Americans buying group could get a expansion franchise bringing 21 teams to the league, while the curent owners would be able to move the Ams franchise to the Chiliwack area.

If they are going to award an expansion franchise, they should let the current AMs team stay, and give the expansion team to Chilliwack.

Hardly seems fair to make Tri-cities start all over again.

Chipper
04-12-2005, 12:47 PM
I agree Beaner! Why should the Ams have to start from scratch. From what I was hearing If they decide to go with 21 teams there may be a year lapse for the team awarded the expansion. imo that should be the lame duck ownership that put themselves in this position. If there is 21 teams this will also mean an unbalanced division and Big Ed said he would insist on being back in the Central division again.... The drama continues.

HAF
04-12-2005, 03:13 PM
As an Ams fan I can definately say that I am sick and tired of the gut aches and drama. They tell us we're here for at least one more year yet they wont put season tickets for 05-06 on sale yet. They say the deadline for any moves has already passed for this year yet they turn right around and say they will "Do whatever sees fit" . There maybe only 3,000 or so of us really committed fans here in TC but dont we deserve better than this? I think we do. I think the board of Commissioners need to jump in and force Porter to sell. An undisclosed amount has been offered by the local group yet Porter would rather completely run the Ams into the ground rather than break even and go on to some other business oportunities. At the same time Porter wont promote this team and has made sure it will fail.
as much as I love my hometown team, maybe the expansion is what we really need to have a fresh start and put some of this negative energy behind us. Contrary to what anyone says, TC is a hockeytown and a very good market if only given the oportunity. Give us ownership that wants to make it work and put a winning team on the ice for a season or two and you'd be amazed what type attendance you'd see.

Beaner
04-12-2005, 03:40 PM
I agree Beaner! Why should the Ams have to start from scratch. From what I was hearing If they decide to go with 21 teams there may be a year lapse for the team awarded the expansion. imo that should be the lame duck ownership that put themselves in this position. If there is 21 teams this will also mean an unbalanced division and Big Ed said he would insist on being back in the Central division again.... The drama continues.

Yep I would agree with Big Ed 100% on moving the Ice back to the Central since they dont play in the BC Division anyway.

And, Hermiston, I sympathize with you about this. This is no way to run a team, let alone a league.

Brad
04-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have any more information than you have Hermiston Ams Fan. Porter and Burke appear to be running the show from Vancouver and I don't think anyone here, even in the AMS office, has a clue what the future holds.

Part of me wants them to stay, but part of me wants them to go, we can implode the building, scorch the earth and start from scratch. Maybe when Olie and Stu have retired, bring in an ECHL team in a new 10,000 seat arena.

Freebird32
04-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Looking at this logically, I would think that the board has already decided and made a decision when they voted 11-9. If they go ahead and move that would open the door for lawsuits. Now does Robison really want another franchise added to the league? He has already stated many times no. He likes the way the format is now. So with that all said it would be logical for Porter to come crawling back to the town and suck up to the locals. Do I want this to happen? HECK NO!!!!! I want the group of 14 to buy the team. I have already pledged to them $2000.00 Porter is going to have to sell the team in the long run. No way can he make any money from the loyal fans for what he has done. Perhaps that is his plan. Trying it one more year and showing the Board that he is losing money and can not keep his team in TRI and applying for the move again next year with more ammunition. Now if he wants to be a nice guy then he sells the team to the group, if he wants to make money then he needs to take the Edmonton offer, and if he wants to be a jerk, then he keeps the franchise here and runs it in the ground to get what he really wants and thats a move to Chilliwack. Hmmmm what would you do if you were in his shoes??? Logical solution.... sell to the highest bidder and push for a expansion team that he can have in Chilliwack.

HAF
04-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Welcome aboard Freebird32. It's good to see more Ams posters showing up over here. If you have any questions or comments just let me know.

Chipper
04-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Looking at this logically, I would think that the board has already decided and made a decision when they voted 11-9. If they go ahead and move that would open the door for lawsuits. Now does Robison really want another franchise added to the league? He has already stated many times no. He likes the way the format is now. So with that all said it would be logical for Porter to come crawling back to the town and suck up to the locals. Do I want this to happen? HECK NO!!!!! I want the group of 14 to buy the team. I have already pledged to them $2000.00 Porter is going to have to sell the team in the long run. No way can he make any money from the loyal fans for what he has done. Perhaps that is his plan. Trying it one more year and showing the Board that he is losing money and can not keep his team in TRI and applying for the move again next year with more ammunition. Now if he wants to be a nice guy then he sells the team to the group, if he wants to make money then he needs to take the Edmonton offer, and if he wants to be a jerk, then he keeps the franchise here and runs it in the ground to get what he really wants and thats a move to Chilliwack. Hmmmm what would you do if you were in his shoes??? Logical solution.... sell to the highest bidder and push for a expansion team that he can have in Chilliwack.
I believe when Ed was giving the interview he was saying that obviousy the Ams market was not worth 4 milion so thats why the expansion option was a posibility for the group looking to buy the franchise. They could posibly do it this way and take a year off and start the 2007 season as an expansion, while the curent owners would either move to Chiliwack or be sold to the Oilers for 4 million and they would be able to control there own interests, but it all has to be done before the Bantom draft on May 4 i think? If there will be an expansion so they could get there first draft picks and there management team together that would only give them a couple of weeks to prepare if thats the way the league wants to go.

Freebird32
04-14-2005, 10:55 AM
That makes perfect sense to me now. :clap: Thanks for that explanation Chipper. That would be the reason the Tri-cities would get the expansion team... I do think that time is too short though. This was posted in the local news..

The Americans situation remains status quo---KNDU spoke with team co-owner and president Darryl Porter today, who told us that the ownership group and the Western Hockey League continue to work on a number of options to satisfy all sides and that hopefully something could be on the table for the league's board of governors next week.

Although he didn't want to get too specific about possibilites, Porter does say the four million dollar offer to sell the team to the Edmonton Oilers remains on the table and that even coming back to run the team here hasn't totally been ruled out, although he admits that's a long shot.

And so we wait.

Brad
04-14-2005, 01:29 PM
I am confused by the starting in 2007 date. That would be two seasons (2005-06, 2006-07) off. If they were going to draft this May, wouldn't they slate them to start play in 06-07? It seems one of the two franchises would be really crippled at the bantam draft. Whomever Darrell May and the scouting staff goes with would be fine, but the other team would only have about a week to prep for the draft.

Chipper
04-14-2005, 04:15 PM
I am confused by the starting in 2007 date. That would be two seasons (2005-06, 2006-07) off. If they were going to draft this May, wouldn't they slate them to start play in 06-07? It seems one of the two franchises would be really crippled at the bantam draft. Whomever Darrell May and the scouting staff goes with would be fine, but the other team would only have about a week to prep for the draft.
Yes thats what I mean when I say 2007 season I maybe should have said 2006-2007 season but I usualy go it by the year that you finish playing in and not looking at the begining of the season my mistake.

Ams Hockey Fan
04-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Whatever they decide to do, I hope they decide quickly as I am sick of the drama! I would rather see our AMS stay here and let Porter get the expansion team if that's what they want. Personally I think he shouldn't be an owner in the WHL as he has shown he isn't trustworthy!

AMS Faithful
04-16-2005, 07:18 AM
WHL’s governors to re-examine Americans move to Chilliwack

A number of scenarios will be presented Monday in a telephone conference

BY STEPHEN SNELGROVE VANCOUVER SUN

WHL I The future of the Tri-City Americans franchise and its potential relocation to Chilliwack will be re-examined by the Western Hockey League on Monday.
The league’s governors have been summoned to participate in a 9 a.m. conference call, at which time commissioner Rob Robison will set out a number of scenarios for the future of the franchise. The governors are expected to vote on one of those scenarios Monday.
“I will be making a report to the governors based on the decision to deny the application for relocation. We’ll be looking at that matter as well as our overall strategic plan for the long term,” said Robison.
“I’ve spent a lot of time in discussions with the City of Kennewick, potential local investors and the current ownership group. We have some options to discuss with the governors and we’ll look at those options and see what is best for the league long term.”
The league’s board of governors gathered in Calgary on March 31 for an emotional six-hour meeting to discuss the Americans’ initial application to relocate. The board voted 11 to nine in favour of the move, but 14 votes, three-quarters of the governors, were needed for Tri-City to move forward with the plans.
The other four U.S.-based franchises, as well as Brandon, Saskatoon, Red Deer, Medicine Hat and Prince George, voted against the move at that time.
The American-based teams were concerned the move would significantly affect the integrity of the league’s U.S. division and hurt the remaining teams financially due to the loss of a key rival.
Considerable discussions have taken place behind the scenes since that date, led by chairman of the board Ed Chynoweth, to try to find a workable solution for the Tri-City ownership group.
Darryl Porter, spokesman for the Tri-City ownership group that also includes former Vancouver Canucks GM Brian Burke and New York Rangers GM Glen Sather, said Friday he wants to remain in the WHL, but doesn’t believe that’s possible in Tri-City.
“We’ve been very clear that we want to remain in the league,” he said. “The issue is that we don’t think that we can go back to Tri-City as an ownership group, that’s clear. Two weeks ago our options were to either go back or sell the team, and we don't really want to do that.”
Porter said he appreciates the governors’ willingness to re-open discussions.
“There is lots being discussed about the future of hockey in Tri-City and also the future of our group in the Western Hockey League,” he said. “I just think at this point it’s best to leave it at that and let things sort themselves out on Monday.”
Porter said his group would like the league to allow them to move the franchise to Chilliwack as originally planned, but that it’s prepared to live with whatever should be decided on Monday.
“There have been a whole lot of options considered and discussed over the last two or three weeks and now it’s time to take them to the governors to see what way the league would like to go,” said Porter. “We are just hopeful. There are two or three good options in front of us and any one of them would be fine.”
One of those options, which has been on the table for some time, would see Porter’s group sell the team to a local ownership group. The group is willing to buy the Americans, but not for $5 million, the going rate for a WHL franchise.
The problem is the Americans franchise is worth a lot more money located somewhere else than it is in Tri-City. The Edmonton Oilers, for example, are prepared to pay up to $5 million for a team that would share Rexall Place with the NHL team.
With high demand for franchises in markets such as Edmonton, Chilliwack and perhaps even Victoria, the league may have to reconsider its stance on expansion.
Recent expansion franchises in Everett and Vancouver have been highly successful and that has some people wondering if further expansion may be the answer, allowing Porter’s group to run the new entity in Chilliwack while the league explores ownership options in Tri-City.
“That;s all part of where do we ultimately want to be long term,” said Robison.
“We have a tremendous amount of interest in our franchises. It’s no secret that Edmonton, Chilliwack and some other locations have indicated a strong interest. That’s what we are taking into account, not so much the Tri-City situation, but where we want to be long term. We’re not ruling out expansion, but it’s certainly not something that we envision unless we necessarily have to.”

Beaner
04-16-2005, 09:55 AM
This situation is worse than a badly written soap opera.

If they are not going to move The Ams, then I guess the only thing that can happen to make this work is....

1) Porter sells Ams to mystery Local Group of 14 - for less than Porter wanted.

2) Tri -city New ownership pays the Expansion Fee 2M? for an expansion club in Chilliwack that is given to Porter - Start 06/07 ? Maybe Porter gets an Extra 1M for himself and his Partners? Total cost to Local Ownership group for Ams 3M?

3) Big Ed says enough and moves the ICE to the Central Divison for the 06/07 Season.

Stay-Puft
04-16-2005, 04:03 PM
It looks to me that Porter and his buddy, ex-AMS owner Toigo, finally cried enough for at least looking at the "re-examination". Toigo has a :burningma for this area since he was the governor. At least Porter has realized not to say too much, like he had for the last month and a half, because word gets around fast. What really iritates me about the whole situation is Porter will not say one word to media in this area and seems to be doing Burke's every bidding. At least Bob Tory has spoken up on the local talk radio show to give some insight when this all went down the last time. Porter wouldn't even come down for the AMS last home game, but did make the trip to Seattle (We win when he doesn't show and lose when he does. Go figure.) He didn't even have the "manhood" to say "thank you" or give his appreciation to the audience at the awards banquet for their support of "his" :mad: team throughout the year.

I hope they tell the two-headed couple (Porter and Burke) to sell outright to the local ownership group and not give them an option at a expansion franchise. Porter has already shown his ability to go back on his word twice ("We will keep the franchise in Tri-Cities for at least four years" and "I will set up residency in the Tri-Cities" Sorry, an apartment doesn't count). As someone who runs a business, there is no doubt that your word is everything, no matter what line of work you are in.

If I am wrong on this please let me know, but didn't the Kootenay Ice move from Edmonton because the city could not support NHL, AHL, and WHL?

AMS Faithful
04-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Board to reconsider Ams' relocation
This story was published Saturday, April 16th, 2005

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

The future of the Tri-City Americans is up for discussion once again.

Western Hockey League Commissioner Ron Robison has set a conference call for the league's Board of Governors on Monday morning to revisit the Americans owners' desire to move the franchise to Chilliwack, British Columbia.

"What we are doing is providing a status report on how we best go forward and meet our objectives long term," Robison said Friday night. "We are trying to find a solution that is best for the league, the current ownership group and the Tri-City community. I've had discussions with the current owners, the local interest group in the Tri-Cities, the city of Kennewick, and all those involved. It's a complex issue, but one we need to get resolved as quickly as possible."

The Americans ownership group -- which includes Darryl Porter, former Vancouver Canucks General Manager Brian Burke, New York Rangers General Manager Glen Sather and Tri-City General Manager Bob Tory -- applied to the WHL for relocation last month, but its application was denied March 31 after more than six hours of deliberations in Calgary, Alberta.

The Tri-City owners needed two-thirds, or 14, of the governors to vote in their favor. They received 11. Voting against the move were representatives from fellow U.S. Division teams Spokane, Portland, Seattle and Everett, along with Brandon, Medicine Hat, Prince George, Red Deer and Saskatoon.

Robison said he could not say with certainty that there would be another vote by the Board of Governors.

"If it were to be considered É the matter is broader than that," Robison said. "I think we left the meeting (in March) with a decision, but we wanted to update the governors with more information.

"We are looking at how to go forward in the Tri-Cities. If we are going to have hockey in the Tri-Cities, it will have to be with true local investors. That is the primary focus for discussions on Monday. The league has to look at what meets the needs of the rest of the members."

Porter did not return calls Friday night, but he told the Vancouver Sun on Friday afternoon, "We've been very clear that we want to remain in the league. The issue is that we don't think that we can go back to Tri-Cities as an ownership group, that's clear. Two weeks ago our options were to either go back or sell the team, and we don't really want to do that.

"I appreciate the fact that the governors are open to discussing it. There is lots being discussed about the future of hockey in Tri-Cities and also the future of our group in the Western Hockey League," Porter continued. "I just think at this point it's best to leave it at that and let things sort themselves out on Monday."

While Porter and his partners are not looking to sell the team, there is a local interest group willing to step forward to work with or purchase the Americans but not at the going rate for a WHL franchise, which is reported to be $5 million.

The Edmonton Oilers, who would like to own a WHL team, set the bar high in hopes of enticing any owner in the league to sell.

With high demand for franchises in markets like Edmonton, Chilliwack and perhaps even Victoria, the league may have to reconsider its stance on expansion.

Seattle businessman Chris Collins has made it known he is interested in helping keep the Americans in the Tri-Cities, and he has notified Robison and the Board of Governors of his intentions.

"I have put together a solid offer and was willing to sit down and do what I could from sharpening skates to contributing seven figures," Collins said. "I hope whatever they do is best for the community of the Tri-Cities. The rest is a bunch of politics and games."

Several prominent Tri-City businessmen, including Kennewick attorney Diehl Rettig, also have lent their support to keeping the Americans in the Tri-Cities, where they have been since Ron Dixon moved the franchise from New Westminster, British Columbia, to Kennewick in 1988.

Rettig's ties to the team go back before Dixon built the coliseum and moved the team to Kennewick.

"I represented Ron Dixon and worked with the city on contracts and bringing the team here," Rettig said. "I worked with Dr. (Gerald) Berges to work with people to get 2,500 signatures to buy season tickets to bring the team here. The team is what brought the ice here in the first place. It just isn't the team; it's the professionals that it breeds. It's a way of life to a lot of people and a lot of youth who are committed to the sport."

Another possible investor is former Ams star Stu Barnes, now a forward for the Dallas Stars.

"There is no question, this team is dear to my heart," said Barnes, who has been helping coach his daughter Riley's soccer team since the NHL lockout has kept him off the ice. "I just want to help in any way I can."

AMS Faithful
04-18-2005, 03:39 PM
WHL Board of Governors Review Tri-City Matter
Created: Apr 18, 2005

CALGARY, AB - The Western Hockey League Board of Governors held a conference call earlier today to review the status of the Tri-City franchise following a decision March 31, 2005 to deny relocation of the WHL Club to Chilliwack, B.C. for the 2005-06 season.

WHL Commissioner Ron Robison presented a report on options available to the League regarding the ownership of the Tri-City franchise and its long-term viability in the market. The WHL is encouraged by the interest that has been expressed by local investors in Tri-City and is exploring options which would preserve the franchise on a long term basis.

The WHL Board of Governors will reconvene on the evening on Thursday, April 21st to review this matter further and attempt to reach a resolution which serves the best interests of the League and its member franchises.

All inquiries regarding the Tri-City matter are to referred to WHL Commissioner Ron Robison.

HAF
04-18-2005, 04:03 PM
That sounds like pretty good news. Hopefully the league will push for the local group to make the purchase.

Rooselk
04-18-2005, 08:34 PM
I heard the WHL commissioner interviewed this afternoon on MOJO 730 out of Vancouver. While the commish didn't get specific, it did sound like he was hinting about new ownership for the Ams. He said that there were several proposals on the table and a decision will be reached on Thursday. My guess is that that the league is now looking seriously at the local group that has stepped forward to purchase the team.

Chipper
04-18-2005, 09:08 PM
My personal opinion from someone looking in is that there will be an expansion given to the Tri City group of potential owners, and that the curent owners will be alowed to sell or relocate to Chiliwack. I hope Im wrong as I think its only fair to the people of the Tri City area that they keep there team. Let the curent owners be put into the Expansion role. This is just the gut feeling I get as some one who has nothing to gain or lose in this situation. If this is the case you may be with out hockey for a year but you will end up with owners that realy want to be there.

Rooselk
04-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Chipper, you may be right. But during the interview the WHL commish more than once mentioned that this week the Board of Governors would be looking at their future plans. Wouldn't surprise me if they granted new ownership to the Ams and then granted the Porter group an expansion team in Chilliwack, giving the city there a year to expand Prospera Centre.

Chipper
04-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Chipper, you may be right. But during the interview the WHL commish more than once mentioned that this week the Board of Governors would be looking at their future plans. Wouldn't surprise me if they granted new ownership to the Ams and then granted the Porter group an expansion team in Chilliwack, giving the city there a year to expand Prospera Centre.
That would be awsome for all of you there and justice! for there unsucessful move out of Tri City. I hope and pray that this is what happens Let the Current owners sit a year with no income and start from scratch. STAY AMS STAY :groovy: !!!!!!!!!!!

AMS Faithful
04-19-2005, 07:15 AM
WHL sees Thursday as key in Ams future
This story was published Tuesday, April 19th, 2005

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

Western Hockey League commissioner Ron Robison and the league's Board of Governors held a conference call Monday morning to review the future of the Tri-City Americans.

The nearly three-hour session came three weeks after the Board of Governors denied the Americans owners' -- Darryl Porter, former Vancouver Canucks general manager Brian Burke, New York Rangers GM Glen Sather and Tri-City GM Bob Tory -- petition to relocate the franchise to Chilliwack, British Columbia.

During Monday's meeting, Robison presented a report on options available to the league regarding the ownership of the Tri-City franchise and its long-term viability in the market.

Robison said the WHL is encouraged by the interest that has been expressed by potential local investors and is exploring options that would keep the franchise in Kennewick on a long-term basis.

"Without getting specific, we discussed creative solutions to preserve a franchise in Tri-Cities," Robison said. "We have been encouraged by the local interest ... in the club. The concern with the March 31 meeting was that a decision was made, but we didn't talk about how to go forward. That's what we are doing now."

Selling to the local interest group, accepting a reported $5 million offer from the Edmonton Oilers or moving the team to Chilliwack -- despite a vote by the governors last month that denied the move -- are among the options still under consideration.

A gag order was being placed by the WHL on all participants. Robison said he is the only person allowed to provide details about the meeting.

The Board of Governors will hold another conference call Thursday evening in an attempt to reach a solution. At that time, the Board of Governors is expected to vote on one of the options provided by Robison.

"After today, we feel we need to attend to this matter more," Robison said.

Notes: Tri-City Americans goalie Carey Price watched from the bench as Team Canada beat Denmark 15-1 at the U-18 World Championships in Cesk Budejuvice, Czech Republic. Dan Bertram had three goals for Canada (2-1-0), which will finish round-robin play today against Russia (3-0-0). ... C Jonathan Toews, selected No. 1 overall by the Americans in the 2003 WHL bantam draft, last week signed a letter of intent to play for the University of North Dakota. ... The Everett Silvertips extended coach Kevin Constantine's contract through the 2008-09 season.

AMS Faithful
04-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Big leaguers enter WHL talks
With NHL backers, Tri-City could stay put and Chilliwack could get expansion team

Stephen Snelgrove
Vancouver Sun

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Junior hockey fans in Chilliwack may have National Hockey League stars Olaf Kolzig and Stu Barnes to thank should the Western Hockey League finally come to the Fraser Valley.

Kolzig and Barnes, who both played in the WHL for the Tri-City Americans and continue to make their off-season homes in the area, have stepped up to the plate in an effort to save the troubled junior franchise.

The pair are part of a local investment group poised to purchase the franchise from the current owners, who include Vancouver businessman Darryl Porter, former Canucks GM Brian Burke and New York Rangers GM Glen Sather.

When the WHL board of governors reconvene Thursday evening via conference call they are expected to approve the tentative sale of the franchise as well as the awarding of an expansion team to Chilliwack for the 2006-07 season.

The expansion team would be controlled by Porter, Burke and Sather, but would also include local investors Moray Keith and Jim Bond, who own the British Columbia Hockey League's Chilliwack Chiefs and operate the 3,700-seat Prospera Centre.

This is one of a number of scenarios presented to the board by commissioner Ron Robison during a conference call Monday morning.

It is not without precedent in the WHL, as Vancouver Giants majority owner Ron Toigo was involved in a similar scenario five years ago. Toigo, who then owned the Americans, was prepared to move the team to Vancouver but was offered an expansion franchise while other investors were found to keep the team in Tri-City.

As amenable as Keith and Bond are to whatever decision comes from Thursday's board meeting, they are also very concerned that time is becoming a factor. It would take at least three months to undertake the renovations required to bring the seating capacity of the Prospera Centre up to a minimum of 5,000, which means that building materials would need to be ordered by at least the first week of May in order to have the construction completed by the end of summer.

Given the tight time-frame required to get a team up and running Chilliwack in time for this coming season -- whether it be the Americans or an expansion franchise -- Keith said he would be quite happy to wait a year for the WHL to arrive in Chilliwack.

"The one [scenario] that I certainly like is keeping the BCHL team where it is at the moment, allowing whatever is going to happen between the WHL and the Burke group to happen, and then working for the WHL in Chilliwack in a year's time," said Keith.

"This is definitely pushing the time frame on it. To me a natural is to sit dormant for a year and hopefully be able to put a WHL team into place in one year's time. It would allow us to generate some momentum over the next year with people knowing that the WHL is going to come to Chilliwack."

A number of factors could still derail this scenario prior to Thursday's conference call, including negotiating the purchase price for the Americans and the ensuing expansion fee to be paid by Porter's group.

BCHL's Chiefs moving full speed ahead

Stephen Snelgrove
Vancouver Sun

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The Chilliwack Chiefs are moving full speed ahead towards next season, despite the uncertainty that surrounds the British Columbia Hockey League franchise.

As the Western Hockey League continues to ponder the future of the Tri-City Americans and the potential of Chilliwack as a viable market, the Chiefs' ownership group is covering all of its bases.

Moray Keith, co-owner of the Chiefs along with Jim Bond, remains fully committed to having a major junior franchise play out of Chilliwack's Prospera Centre, but he also realizes that life will go on in the Fraser Valley with or without the WHL.

The Chiefs have started their season-ticket renewal program and are just days away from a major push.

Keith and Bond would own approximately 20 per cent of the WHL franchise in Chilliwack, with current owners Darryl Porter, Brian Burke and Glen Sather controlling the rest.

"I think everything is open; it's out of our hands in terms of what the WHL allows," said Keith. "We've said to the City of Chilliwack that we would try and do the best for everybody that we can possibly do and I think, based on what we were told by the WHL on Thursday, we are going to have to make a decision then on how everything fits and what goes forward."

The WHL board of governors met via conference call on Monday to discuss a variety of options regarding the future of the Tri-City Americans, including moving the team to Chilliwack or awarding an expansion team to the city of 63,000. The board will reconvene Thursday evening with an eye towards making a final decision.

At stake Thursday is more than just the future of the WHL in Chilliwack. Depending on the decision, the future of the BCHL's Chiefs, as well as the Pacific International Junior Hockey League's Abbotsford Pilots, are also unclear.

Keith has said that should the WHL come to Chilliwack his first choice would be to move the Chiefs to Abbotsford.

"If we could build a rink in Abbotsford that would be ideal. They are the kind of community that should have a Prospera Centre, a bigger rink or multi-plex," Keith said.

Beaner
04-20-2005, 11:07 AM
Well this sounds about right. Not a big surprise.

Expect the Ice to be moved to the Central Division if this all goes thru in 06-07.

Unless of course Edmonton is going to get an expansion Franchise in the near future. Then to keep the Divisions balanced, they would have to keep the ICE in the west.

Stay-Puft
04-22-2005, 08:04 AM
There is a conference call scheduled for 9:30am today by the WHL to the media. Early word is the Americans will stay put and Chilliwack will get an expansion franchise in 2006-07.

C.F
04-22-2005, 08:49 AM
Well this sounds about right. Not a big surprise.

Expect the Ice to be moved to the Central Division if this all goes thru in 06-07.

Unless of course Edmonton is going to get an expansion Franchise in the near future. Then to keep the Divisions balanced, they would have to keep the ICE in the west.
They would probably move Swift Current to the east too.

tazndevil
04-22-2005, 09:19 AM
The rumors that I have heard here in Calgary, and forgive me if I am wrong, but the expansion Chilliwack team in 06-07, along with franchise brother Edmonton, also in 06-07 (obviously).

The Ice to the central, and the Broncos to the East. That will give the WHL a 5-5-6-6 setting. Top 8 from each conference make the playoffs, and they will be coference wide the whole playoffs, not divisional in the first round like we have now.

Personally, I think it's a bunch of crap. It's a perfect set up right now (other than Kootenay not deciding if they are an Alberta team or a BC team LOL), with 10in each conference. Leave it alone.

Thanks a lot Porter. He showed everyone his poker hand too soon, and got burned. Too bad. Thats business.

If the league had any (guts), they would tell him to stay in Tri, and make a go of it. Sorry the fans won't show up now to support your team. Perhaps you should sell.

What the league is doing is rewarding him for making a bad business decision. How do you possibly get rewarded with an expansion team, because your move out of the city, for no real reason, got rejected.

The bottom line for me is that the Ams belong in Tri. And Porter needs to go.

My thoughts

Taz

Chipper
04-22-2005, 10:31 AM
So the Eastern and Central divs with 6 teams each 12 in the conference
and B.C 5 AND US 5 for 10 teams. If I were in the east its not a fair setup come playoff time as 4 teams are not going to the playoffs in the East conference and only two in the west.

tazndevil
04-22-2005, 10:48 AM
You got it.

What a bunch of crap.

And we all the Porter to thank for it.

As a side note I want it known to the fans of Tri that are on this board that I am pissed at your 'owner'---not you great fans. You guys want a team, and desrve a team. Its Porter that needs to be punished, not you guys.

Taz

Stay-Puft
04-22-2005, 04:50 PM
In the 12 east scenario, Moose Jaw wouldn't have made it in which would have made the East playoffs the hottest ticket in the league. Great playoff hockey.