PDA

View Full Version : Next Season

WHL Rules
04-07-2005, 09:11 AM
I know it's a bit premature, but how do you think will the team look next season?

Who will be gone, who will be back, who will make the team?

Any chance that either Wick or Kuukka will be back or do you think the Rebels will go with two new Euros?

Who do you think will be the OAs?

Reimer (the favorite) or Eidsness (who reportedly played great in the play-offs for the Bisons) as a backup for Leslie?

D.A.
04-07-2005, 09:52 AM
I think goalies will be decided at camp, but my guess is:
1. Leslie
2. Reimer

On D, I think Phaneuf is gone and I don't see Kuukka here as a 20 (though you never know!) I also don't see a spot for Moore. So my picks are:
1. Kurceba
2. Zetariuk
3. Lamoureux
4. Flatters
5. Frere
6. Euro #1
7. Euro #2

Up front, I think we'll lose Fraser and Wick in addition to Neiszner and Morris. So we'll have:
1. Walker
2. Johnson (20)
3. Rome (20)
4. Henitiuk (20)
5. Pieper
6. Vandermeer
7. Knackstedt
8. Lilley
9. Sutter
10. Gillies
11. Cline
12. Gionfriddo
13. Leblanc

frontrow fan
04-07-2005, 02:31 PM
the second Lamoureaux?? will he be at camp? is he Old enough to make the team next season? Looking forward to seeing Gionfriddo* in a Rebels jersey next season... Who do you think will don the "C"???? :confused:
I really hope we can keep Wick for another year... I suppose alot of EVERYTHING will depend on the NHL and what they ever decide to do...

Shinyshoes
04-07-2005, 05:04 PM
I like what you have ther D.A. but with a couple of questions/comments....

1) Mario Lamereux is missing from your Forward List....I think he will be here next season.

2) I cant see us losing Moore in favor of 2 Euro Defencemen. We Seriously Lacked a "tough guy" this season, even moreso when Kerr got traded. I think moore might be around next season to fill that role, Loosing Rome in favor of Moore.

3) Rumors have Zetariuk not returning as well. Dont know the Validity of these rumors, but time will tell.

4) Didnt sutter go to Colorado to Scout Gionfriddo and Alex Poultor in march?? I thought the paper said he got Verbal Commitment from both of them for next season. I would look to see Poultor here as well.

5) Gillies Better pull up his socks too. He didnt develop this season like he should have. He is a year older as well, being an 18 year old next season. Needs to have an awesome camp to stick around.

6) just to put some names back in circulation, Here are some kids that were late cuts, and should be back at camp this year....
Hunter, Farrer, Betts, Smith, Poulsen, Winnik, Ringrose, Briard, Allan, Sauter, and Yake

Here is my kick at the cat:
Goalies
1. Leslie
2. Reimer

Defence:
1. Kurceba
2. Moore (20)
3. Lamoureux
4. Flatters
5. Frere
6. Euro #1
7. Zetariuk / Euro #2 / Traded In

Forewards
1. Walker
2. Johnson (20)
3. Henitiuk (20)
4. Pieper
5. Vandermeer
6. Knackstedt
7. Lilley
8. Sutter
9. Cline
10. Gionfriddo
11. Hunter
12. Alex Poultor
13. Chase Laukhuf / Mario Lamereux

Edit: for Spelling

tiny
04-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Let me add a couple of other names to your list...

G...Eidsness (16) (maybe too young yet)

D...Hogg (17), Fedun (17), Kozyra (16), Lavarsky (16)

F...Klym (17), Oystrik (16) Wilson (16)

Are these still on our list and possibilities???

Any chance at Wick or Kuukka??

D.A.
04-08-2005, 07:58 AM
-I hadn't forgotten about M. Lamoureux and Poulter - just wasn't sure where to fit them in.
-I *did* forget about Hunter, though I'm not sure where he would fit, either.
-I don't think Laukhuf is protected by the Rebels anymore, but I could be wrong.
-I'd hate to see Zetariuk go - I think he has a lot of potential.
-my guess is that Wick will be playing in the AHL next year.

Tinner
04-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Shiny/DA.............I think your list is a pretty fair snapshot of what may be the makeup of the team next year with the exception of Hunter. He did not have a break out year and unless there is a turn around, I don't think he'll make it. I think there is a spot for the younger Lameroux? if he decides to play here. I heard he is quite a player.

Red celtic
04-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Heard a rumior yesterday that both Kuukka and W ick could be back next year. It is my understanding even though wick had a decent regular season Ottawa wasn't impressed with how he performed in the playoffs. They think it would not hurt him to play another year under Sutter as was agreed upon at the beginning of the year. As far as Kuukka is concerned Sutter talked to him about the benifit of staying in the Dub for another year if wants to play pro in North America who knows what will happen there.

My picks for possible Rookies are Gionfriddo, Poulter, Leblanc, Paulson, Reimer, Lamoureux and maybe Kozayra. My 20's are Wick, Kuukka?, and Johnson.
:skeptical

charlie
04-08-2005, 04:04 PM
it remains to be seen how sutter will construct next years young club but i do see similarities between his first year in red deer and the situation he faces now. he is loaded with incoming young talent and he has some veterans who i think will have to earn the right to stay with next years team. i think that much of the inconsistency on this years team can be attributed to the play of the 18 and 19 year old age groups and barring trades the most 19 and 20 years old that will stay will be 8 although i can see several of the 19 year olds not returning or making the club.

if red celtic is correct and wick and kuukka return i see those two along with johnson as the likely 20's. i think vandermeer, walker and leslie will be the 19's with lilley and zetaruk on the bubble. the group of 18 year old players will be pretty strong with the likely success of the club hinging on the play of kurceba, lamoureux and flatters along with kuukka. the 17's and 16's will be the future strength of the club and there will be quite a few of them. i think it is too difficult at this point to determine which of these youngsters will play as this summer of growing and growing up will likely determine the players.

the one thing i am pretty sure of: two years from now we will have 3 quality 20's, a large group of quality 19's and top end talent in the 18, 17 age groups. there will be a fairly small group of 16's on that team...add 2 quality euros and we may be back on top again...that or darn close to it. next year's team will likely be too young to win anything but it should be fun to watch all that young talent develop.

charlie

Rebrevs
04-10-2005, 07:45 AM
Where do you see Pieper next year?

charlie
04-10-2005, 09:04 AM
i think pieper will see most of his action on the 2nd line but will move up/down depending on his play. he was on the 1st line in seattle/everett and a few more games before he got hurt.

another thought, they do come slowly at my age...DA leave it alone...sutter will prolly have several guys at camp that nobody here has thought of/heard of...i hope that he keeps a fighter this year not only to protect the kids but to provide a little fun for the fans. it would be fun to have a guy in the tradition of craig brunell, stephen peat, mike brown or jim vandermeer...if they can play it would just be a bonus.

charlie

rdreb
04-10-2005, 09:45 AM
I see the team as a third place team,we will have a very young team.
That been said here goes with my pick for the team

In goal
Leslie
Reimer (Eidsness will give Reimer a good run for the back up)

D-Men
Kurceba
Lamoureux
Frere
Poulson
Zetariuk(?)
Flatters(Traded for Euro pick)
Kuukka(If he does not play for money this year.if he does I will take)(20)
Kozyra
The forwards
1 Cline(has to play like he did in triple a)
2 Gionfriddo
3 Henituik(20) could also be moved backto the D
4 Gillies( will have to use the size he has)
5 Johnson(20)
6 KanAckstedt
7 Leblanc
8 Pieper
9 Poulter
10 Sutter
11 Vandermeer
12 Walker
13 Wick(20)
Lamoureux M,Smith C, Sauter K,Linnell S. These are a few names to keep an eye on for now :thumb:

Triton
04-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Not much fire power to be honest.But you never know.Sutter can and probably will do amazing things.One bright spot looks like Leslie.He kinda proved himself in the series with Med.Hat.4th place could be where the teams sits.With all the youngsters on the roster,will gain valuable experience for the upcoming years.

Tinner
04-12-2005, 08:06 AM
you could be right, but if thats the case, Sutter will make some moves as he has built a stockpile of young quality players. i can see some retooling once all the chips fall if needed.

WHL Rules
04-13-2005, 04:38 AM
From what I've read in the Advocate it seems like Sutter is expecting both Rome and Wick to be back next year. Kuukka might be back but there is a good chance that he will stay in Finland playing pro.

My guess right now is something like:

Goalies
Leslie
Reimer (Eidsness will play another year midget - Reimer/Eidsness might be the goalie tandem in 2006/07 or Sutter might trade one of them)

Defensemen
Paul Kurceba
Pierre Paul Lamoureux
Eric Frere
Kuukka (OA) or new Euro
John Flatters
Jesse Zetariuk
Patrick Kozyra

Forwards
Roman Wick (OA)
Ashton Rome (OA)
Ted Vandermeer
Karey Piper
Jared Walker
Brandon Sutter
Josh Gionfriddo
Alex Poulter; kid seems to be a goalscorer – he had 4 goals in 4 games (his team only scored 11 goals) at the US Tier I U18 National Championship tournament (J. Toews for example had 4 goals in 6 games and Angelo Esposito, according to a lot of people a potential number one pick in 2007, had 2 goals in 6 games)
Jordan Knackstedt
if Kuukka doesn’t return – Tyler Johnson (OA)
Mario Lamoureux (if he decides to play for the Rebels)
Matt Cline or Devon LeBlanc
Tanner Gillies or Cam Lilley

But then a lot can happen until September and there might be some surprises at camp.

While the team will be young and unexperienced, I think there is a lot of potential in it.

:groovy: