PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 2 @ Hurricanes 5

Big Ern
10-06-2008, 01:21 AM
HOME!! :)

Dallas Stars draft pick Colton Sceviour scored a hat trick and Juha Metsola made 39 saves as the Lethbridge Hurricanes beat the Broncos 5-2 tonight. The loss was the Broncos' first setback of the 2008-09 season, and they now sport a record of 6-1.

-I don't believe this loss was caused by a lack of effort on the Broncos' part. I think it was a little mishap here, a bigger mishap there, and so on. It's not a secret that red lights may well flash when players of Colton Sceviour's calibre get the puck put directly on their stick. That's what happened to the Broncos tonight....unfortunately.

-Swift Current once again dominated the opening minutes of the game. The shots were 8-0 SC before Lethbridge even managed a shot on goal. Justin Dowling scored a goal just 1:05 into the first frame.

-the 'Canes really picked it up after that. They were extremely physical tonight...especially in their own zone. They also played well defensively...starting with Captain Ben Wright.

-Swifty fired 41 shots on goal...Juha Metsola was outstanding. He seems to know exactly where to be situated....about 90% of the Broncos' shots hit him in the chest tonight.

-Justin Dowling is being a quiet contributor every game for the Broncos. He's maybe not getting all the credit he should be getting...Dowling has played very well so far this season.

-Codey Eakin and Taylor Vause have been rather quiet for a few games...expect them to emerge big pretty quick here....

-Jordan Peddle scored his third goal of the season on a wrister from the high slot. It was a PP marker that got the Broncos back within one goal...3-2 at the time. Peddle has no doubt been a pleasant surprise.

-even though he allowed four goals on 18 shots, I highly doubt anyone will blame Mark Guggenberger for this loss. I didn't see him allow a soft goal....all four were good goals. Secondly, he's 4-1 so far this season.....coming in cold for an injured Travis Yonkman. Guggs has been incredible.

-the officiating was abseloutely brutal again tonight. Only one referee...Steve Papp, was enthrusted with the officiating duties for this one. He was terrible to say the least. Anytime both benches are really p*ssed off at the official, you know it's a bad situation. In fact, 'Canes head coach Michael Dyck was so irate he almost took down the pane of glass between the benches as he delivered an angry kick to it.

-James Martin and Christian Magnus were healthy scratches in this one.

That's about it for this weekend.....one would imagine the Broncos are satisfied with a 1-1 split through Cranbrook and Lethbridge. Of course when a you win the first game, you want that second one too, but I would assume the Broncos will take a 6-1 record anytime.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

Just a random note or two:

I had a chance to see the Kelowna Rockets' new bus up close....I was stopped at a red light in Fernie BC last night when it pulled up on it's way to Cranbrook...I checked it out under the street lights...the exterior at least. SPIFFY!!!

I got to meet an avid reader and user of whlfans.ca tonight as well...BOCEPHUS..over from the Lethbridge forum was in attendance, came up and introduced himself. It's great to meet fellow whlfans readers! Let's keep it rolling!

Overall, this weekend was sure a great trip!

I'm out...

Big Ern
10-06-2008, 01:31 AM
*post*

Bocephus
10-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Nice meeting you as well Big Ern.
btw, did you listen to the post game of the Lethbridge broadcast?
Our brilliant color man said this gem of the ref and Lethbridge coach.
'Dyck was in Papp's ear pretty good'.
My God does he even realize how much he cracks me up at times?