PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Eastern road trip?

Rebel66
10-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Two close one goal (plus EN in Brandon) defeats and two shootout losses from this trip. Not too bad really. They seem close. Pity they couldn't win those two lotteries though.

I seem to recall a number of close one goal defeats in the early going last season too though. Are people more optimistic with the team this time around or are we seeing a similar pattern as last year?

Thoughts?

JustMe
10-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Two close one goal (plus EN in Brandon) defeats and two shootout losses from this trip. Not too bad really. They seem close. Pity they couldn't win those two lotteries though.

I seem to recall a number of close one goal defeats in the early going last season too though. Are people more optimistic with the team this time around or are we seeing a similar pattern as last year?

Thoughts?

For me....way more optimistic this season. The boys look like they are bonding/working together better (that in itself says a whole lot), working hard each shift. Very encouraging of each other on the bench. The players seem to play with a lot of confidence, and that may also have to do with the coach. As long as there is no trading every odd week, the players can focus on playing with confidence and not worry about not being there the next day. I think that got to the kids last year....never know when you're in or out....I guess you need to have a bit of that in any team (never be over confident of your position on the team, because that is when you don't give it your all), but too much is not a good thing either..... Anyway just my two cents... :clap:

sbtatter
10-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Based on one viewing, you guys look a lot better than last year. More heart, more skill and more of a team......

SectionNDeserter
10-06-2008, 05:48 PM
For the most part they actually have a transition game this season, and one that in addition to being mostly effective, also has some variety to it! Once in the other team's zone, the Rebels are winning a lot of board battles, and races to the puck. Though they have struggled at times to get their Powerplay set up, when they do, it actually looks organized and effective.

The two biggest areas that they still need a lot of work on is their penalty killing and some individual conditioning. Their penalty killing early on was non-existant, and while it has improved, it is largely in part to 1 or 2 players, and Morgan Clark rather than an overall improvement in the PK. The only reason I question the conditioning of some, is because they drop down a gear or two in the 3rd period of every game, and all the other teams thus far have jumped all over that.

Besides the obvious players like Ferraro and Kivisto, some pleasant surprises this year;

Brennan Wray: If Brandon Sutter plays out 10 games in Carolina and ends up sticking there, I can't think of a better captain. Has dominated on special teams (as a defenseman no less!), particularly on the powerplay, and works hard every shift.

Luke Egener: Despite all but scoring the game tying goal for Brandon a few games back, he has looked pretty solid the rest of the way and has definitely improved a great deal over last year. He is still not a dominant player offensively, but he has already thrown more hits that I have seen this season (about 4) than the last 2 seasons combined. Also I haven't seen him waving his stick at point shots by the other team, instead trying to get his body in front of them.

Morgan Clark: Still has a problem with not allowing rebounds/putting rebounds in bad places, but has a great glove hand, is quite agile, and positionally sound. He has made a number of game-breaking saves so far this season, but has not looked as good as I would like in the numerous shootouts he has been in so far.

Willie Coetzee: Undrafted as far as I know, and sent down early in the season last year, I was counting on him to come in this season and be a character depth player. Wow! He has really improved over last season.

Brett Ferguson: Not a tremendous skater, and not a ton of skill with the puck, but tons of hockey sense and work ethic that by far eclipse both of those. If he continues to get as much ice time as he has, he could see close to 20 goals this season.

Adam Kambeitz: Has looked incredible for a 7th rounder so far, having suprised a number of WHL veterans with some steals and moves past them. A bit more size and strength and this guy could be on the top 2 lines next season.

And a few I have not been impressed with...

Cullen Morin: A part of the team's improvement to their overall transition game, but most players in the league appear to be much bigger and/or stronger than him, and he gets mauled on the boards and in front of his own net routinely by them, generating about 2 scoring chances for the other team for every one that he creates for his own in the other end.

Cody Gross: He has put up a few points on the board this season, but pairing him with Morin on the powerplay, while making him a better player by forcing him to play a defensive position, is VERY hard for me to watch. I am hoping that when Weller returns that he returns to a forward position on the power play, and someone that compliments Morin a little better ends up back there.

3rebels
10-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Quite agree Sec-N. Team looks more - disciplined & motivated. These 2 speak volumes of the coaching. Conditioning hopefully will come and we will start to see some wins in the shootouts. It is a lot more going to the Centrium this season. Now I am looking for a WIN instead of a goal or two.
At least I can keep my head up around the MH, "Bridge & Cowtown fans at my
place of employment-enjoyment !!
clrkthj 3
:thumb:

snapshot
10-08-2008, 08:56 PM
For the life of me, for the Regina game shootout, the third shooter that was chosen was Wray who HAD to make the shot, like, why don't they choose someone like Mappin, or even Smith, Gross? Any idea how they are choosing? I can understand Ferraro and Coutzee.