PDA

View Full Version : No Respect for Hurricanes

Bocephus
10-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Is there an explanation as to why we seldom recieve recognition?
Not in the CHL top ten again although beating the top team in SC and beating a supposedly Mem Cup contender in Kelowna both handely.
Our players get zero recognition for player of the week in particular Metsola and Sceviour. I could come up with so many examples over the years that it seems like a conspiracy. I feel our franchise is the forgotten child. :skeptical You could actually make the same case for the city as well I suppose.
any thoughts?

O&C
10-08-2008, 12:02 PM
word brother...

localguy
10-08-2008, 12:48 PM
It is what it is, imo, we are still feeling the backlash of our last mem cup appearance. Do you guys not remember the 1 yr suspension of Bryna Maxwell for headbutting a ref? The "classy" way we lost in the final, Byron Ritchi's french slurs picked up on the ice mic, Phillips yelling to Worrel that he'd buy his contract? Can't say that we left a real great impression on the rest of the country, which is why chanign the team's identity has been teh main focus of the prgoaniztion in the last couple years, imo. If we keep doin what we're doing, the respect will come, just gotta stay consistant. Besides the CHL's opinion means nothing to me, I know how good we are and so do all our great fans.

Bocephus
10-08-2008, 01:08 PM
It is what it is, imo, we are still feeling the backlash of our last mem cup appearance. Do you guys not remember the 1 yr suspension of Bryna Maxwell for headbutting a ref? The "classy" way we lost in the final, Byron Ritchi's french slurs picked up on the ice mic, Phillips yelling to Worrel that he'd buy his contract? Can't say that we left a real great impression on the rest of the country, which is why chanign the team's identity has been teh main focus of the prgoaniztion in the last couple years, imo. If we keep doin what we're doing, the respect will come, just gotta stay consistant. Besides the CHL's opinion means nothing to me, I know how good we are and so do all our great fans.
I agree with you, localguy. I have felt we are punished for those acts which is frustrating since the organization of today had nothing to do with those days. It is what it is. You make a good point, continue to do things right and we will be rewarded. We saw that last year.

neutral
10-08-2008, 01:19 PM

The apparent lack of respect has nothing to do with the past, it is about the present. Although a 5-2 record looks good, the real issue is highlighted by the shots on goal. Lethbridge may be outscoring the opposition 3.3 to 2.6 goals per game, but Lethbridge has been out shot 30 to 22 on average. That means Metsola has faced 236 shots whereas oppostion goaltenders have faced only 151 shots, a difference of 85 shots. This says the team has been relying on Metsola a little too much. Bring back Boychuk and Sbisa, then the picture changes. Until then, Lethbridge is not in the Top-10.

localguy
10-08-2008, 01:34 PM
The apparent lack of respect has nothing to do with the past, it is about the present. Although a 5-2 record looks good, the real issue is highlighted by the shots on goal. Lethbridge may be outscoring the opposition 3.3 to 2.6 goals per game, but Lethbridge has been out shot 30 to 22 on average. That means Metsola has faced 236 shots whereas oppostion goaltenders have faced only 151 shots, a difference of 85 shots. This says the team has been relying on Metsola a little too much. Bring back Boychuk and Sbisa, then the picture changes. Until then, Lethbridge is not in the Top-10.

Shot toals mean nothing in the ranks, since when does having a good goalie cost you? The number of shots does not represent quality chances (look at the goals for vs. goals against). Not only that, but with that save%, Metsola should have been up, or Scevior (4 goals/4assists) should have easily been top candidates for player of the week honors. And believe you me, I'm sure I am not the only one salivating over how great we are without the six vets we are missing (Boychuk, Sbisa, Bancks, Braes Iwanski, and Fadden). I realize we may not see them all return, but man, the potential that we have is unreal.

And nothing to do with it? Last year we had a 15 game unbeaten streak, and we scratched teh suface 1 time as I believe No.10, for a week, and we never saw the top 10 again until the last week the rankings were released. If not for the past, how can that be explained?

LHF
10-08-2008, 01:38 PM

I don't think it's a big deal that the Canes aren't in the top 10. It is however a shame that Sceviour was overlooked as player of the week. And that Metsola was overlooked as top goalie.

But if nothing else, it will maybe give them motivation to do even better and show them they were wrong.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
10-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Is there an explanation as to why we seldom recieve recognition?
Not in the CHL top ten again although beating the top team in SC and beating a supposedly Mem Cup contender in Kelowna both handely.
Our players get zero recognition for player of the week in particular Metsola and Sceviour. I could come up with so many examples over the years that it seems like a conspiracy. I feel our franchise is the forgotten child. :skeptical You could actually make the same case for the city as well I suppose.
any thoughts?

I don't think we belong in the top ten. Even Calg is not there and they are 6-2 and beat us. I do think Sceviour should have got player of the week though. More goals and more points , and not against weak teams.

hitmanfan
10-08-2008, 03:36 PM
The top ten is a curse anyway. Almost every year we start out on it and never get anywhere. You want it, it's yours. And for what it's worth I think I should be Swift, Spoke and Vancouver.

neutral
10-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Shot toals mean nothing in the ranks, since when does having a good goalie cost you? The number of shots does not represent quality chances (look at the goals for vs. goals against). Not only that, but with that save%, Metsola should have been up, or Scevior (4 goals/4assists) should have easily been top candidates for player of the week honors. And believe you me, I'm sure I am not the only one salivating over how great we are without the six vets we are missing (Boychuk, Sbisa, Bancks, Braes Iwanski, and Fadden). I realize we may not see them all return, but man, the potential that we have is unreal.

And nothing to do with it? Last year we had a 15 game unbeaten streak, and we scratched teh suface 1 time as I believe No.10, for a week, and we never saw the top 10 again until the last week the rankings were released. If not for the past, how can that be explained?

You missed my point. I said Lethbridge does not currently deserve to be in the Top-10. I do believe they will get there with the return of NHL camp and injured players. I also said the SOG highlight the issues. You cannot give up that big a shot differential and be considered a top team. Although I did not state it clearly, Metsola did deserve individual recognition. And as one other person stated, Scevior did as well. But I stand by my point. At this time Lethbridge has not played well enough to be top 10. One last comment. I'm a Lethbridge fan so please do not confuse me with someone cheering for another team.

localguy
10-08-2008, 06:08 PM
You missed my point. I said Lethbridge does not currently deserve to be in the Top-10. I do believe they will get there with the return of NHL camp and injured players. I also said the SOG highlight the issues. You cannot give up that big a shot differential and be considered a top team. Although I did not state it clearly, Metsola did deserve individual recognition. And as one other person stated, Scevior did as well. But I stand by my point. At this time Lethbridge has not played well enough to be top 10. One last comment. I'm a Lethbridge fan so please do not confuse me with someone cheering for another team.

I didn't miss your point, you said the past plays no part in the rankings or in the top player selections, and I disagreed. I don't feel that this team has earned it's spot there yet this year, however, if you look at the goal differential against what are two of the "top teams" in our league this weekend, you have to wonder (Swift is still at No.4, Guelf Storm also have a 5-2 record and came in at #9). A high shot count doesn;t make a team better or worse, quality chances and capitalizing on them does.